IGNORED

Just lost a good friend to ALS today.

helomech

Well, not a good day today. I just got word that a good friend and former coworker finally passed away after a cruel battle with ALS. That's Lou Gehrig's disease. He was a helluva helicopter wrench who used to take care of an EMS helicopter with me in Fargo ND, and for the past six years he took care of one in Neenah WI. He was diagnosed back in December and it hit him like a sledgehammer over the next several months. He was the nicest guy anyone could ever want to meet, and was always willing to help anyone. He had more common sense than most people I know, and his word was good as gold. He just turned 41 this summer, less that 2 months before I did the same. He couldn't wait to teach his three year old son how to ride his mini-z, but he never got the chance. I can't imagine my 3 boys having to grow up without their dad. At least there are plenty of uncles around to give his son those experiences.

His first loves were snowmobiles, helicopters, and his HD Sportster. He got me involved with vintage snowmobiles, and there are a lot of pictures of him and his sleds on my website. A lot of medical crews, pilots and patients owe their lives to him as a direct result of his expert and timely maintenance that kept his aircraft ready and safe.

Fortunately, I was able to pack my family up in the car and go visit him last month. His wife didn't tell him we were coming, and he lit right up when we walked in the door. It was worth the trip just to see him light up like that. Unfortunately, he, and the rest of us, all knew it was the last time we would see him alive.

I told his wife that I didn't know if I'd be able to make the funeral, but she said she was much happier that we took the time to visit when it still meant something to him.

The funeral is Friday or Saturday, If I can't take the family again, I might try to ride the bike. It'll be an iron butt ride, but I don't know if I'll be able to go anyway, it's the nature of the job.

http://homepage.mac.com/helomech/.Pictures/lakerun.gif

Definitely a drag John, never a good time to hear anything like that. I will say that it's good to hear that you were able to spend some time with him before he passed. I remember my grandmother telling me how much it meant for my Grandfather to spend time with me when I came home from the Gulf in '91. Keep those good times in your head, we never realise how fortunate we are until it's too late.

.....Semper Fi my friend, and be safe if you ride the scoot out there

So sorry to hear you lost your friend, but glad to hear you were able to visit with him.

I'm sure his family will remember fondly you making the trip to see him, and hopefully the healing process will be swift.

God Bless you and his loved ones at this trying time.

Jerry

Helomech,

I'm sorry to heart about the loss of your friend. My grandfather died with ALS in 1961. This was before we knew much about the disease. My grandfather was a big hardworking man. He plowed a mule during the day and cut hair for people at night by a lantern. My dad said he charged 10 cents for a haircut. You also have to remember he didn't use electric clippers, he used the kind you had to squeeze by hand to make them work. I saw him go from being healthy and strong to walking with a cane, then in the last days was confined to a wheel chair. The ALS started paralyzing his vocal cords and he couldn't even talk. Some of you may remember when Oral Roberts was on TV healing people. My uncles and grandmother heard that Oral Roberts was going to be in Texas so they packed up and took my grandfather to see him in Texas. He wasn't able to help my grandfather but told him had the faith to be healed. Maybe one day we can find a cure for this terrible disease. Sincerely, Eddie Hall

Well, I wasn't able to get away for the funeral, but I plan to call his wife again Tomorrow. I'm not too worried about her, she's strong and has prepared herself and her son as well as anyone could for the inevitable. For the last few months he had to be in a nursing home, and she was there for him with their son every morning for breakfast and every night. I feel really bad for his son, and want to do something for him someday, but I don't know what. I thought I might put together some pictures of him on the job, but can't seem to find any. I know I have a few, but I find myself wishing I had brought the camera to work more often. I'm open to any kind of ideas anyone might have for things to do for the boy. Things that maybe won't mean much until he is older. He's only three and a half years old right now, but I'm trying to think of somthing for when he is around ten or so. It's hard to describe the feeling you get when you watch a three year old spoon-feed his dad. It warms your heart and breaks it at the same time.