IGNORED

Be careful what you promise

AKRefugee

Had my first one a year ago. The pharmacy at the USAF hospital here gave me a gallon jug with about a half an inch of powder inside. It was called GoLytely. Yeah, right! "Fill it to the top, and be sure to drink it all" I was told. After the third glass, be within a couple of steps of the toilet!! Mixing in some Crystal Lite makes it taste a lot better. The prep is the worst part, followed closely by your body ridding itself of the air the Doc uses in his quest for polips.

...If someone hasn't had this done THEY NEED TO.:stirthepot:

All joking aside. It's really not all that bad considering what it can save you from. I have a close friend, just turned 50. Just had his first "look-see" and they did find colon cancer. Additional tests showed he also had liver cancer and some lymph nodes. Diagnosed him as stage 4 because of the multiple sites. He had several rounds of preoperative chemo. The surgery removed part of his colon and part of his liver. He is doing post operative chemo. Things are looking good for him at the moment. Needless to say he's glad he had it done when he did instead of waiting. Don't mean to lecture but it kinda hits home when a friend goes thru it.

The pat that made me laugh was the label on the bottle of stuff to drink, where it says MAY cause diarrhea. I don't think there is any chance of MAY.

On the radio this morning they said that a colonoscopy is no longer subject to an insurance deductible according to the obamacare.

Well gotta say it wasn't really all that bad. I made the drink up the night before and put it in the fridge so it was nice and chilled when it was time. I added the orange flavoring to it so that helped as well. I started to add the vodka but was caught in the act and had to stop (WHAT, where does it say on the box that I can't). After the pill and the drink everything (and I do mean everything) came out "okay", and came out "okay" and came out "okay", in fact it was still coming out "okay" the next morning.

When it came time to go to the docs I tried to get my Sweetie to let me take the bike but she said something about not daring to sit behind me (yeah there was that particular grin again) so we had to take the cage. Of course since she was driving so I had to navigate. We almost didn't make it in time because she took a wrong turn (WHAT, I wasn't the one driving so I didn't get us lost).

When we got to the docs office and all signed in we had to wait for them to call us. As others were called I would lean over to my Sweetie and tell her "I know what going to happen to theemmm". This was immediately followed by a firm punch to my shoulder (WHAT, I was just speaking the truth). When they called my I could not resist and stood up and yelled "BINGO" "WHAT DID I WIN". At least this time I was smart enough to not be within her reach so I didn't get the shoulder shot (but I did get the eye roll). The nurse didn't know if she should let me in back but she gave me a grin and led me to the back (what is it with women and that particular grin?). Little did I know that she would be the one putting the needle in me.

In spite of that particular grin the nurse had given me she did a superb job of poking me nicely. Of course I had to get my fun in so when she started to reach for me I pulled my hand back and told here not until I got a sucker and a promise of a Spiderman band-aid later. (Hey guess what, she knows that eye roll thing as well). For a moment though I could have sworn that particular grin started to appear as she begin to insert the needle. Of course only she knew she had "other recourses". She "accidently" banged into the wall 3 times going down the hallway and than spun me around 360 degrees two times getting me in to the procedure room. I am no dummy (or at least I keep reminding my Sweetie) so I kept my mouth shut this time.

The doc came in and said hi and asked me if I had any questions. You thought I would have learned by now but I figured he wasn't the nurse so maybe it was okay (remember I'm no dummy?). I than asked him "why he would spend $10,000 on a boroscope just because it had the word medical attached to it when that I could get for one about $2000. They must have seen you coming huh?" Funny thing how that particular grin thing keeps showing up.

At that point the nurse had me roll on my side and she got the knock out stuff ready to put in my IV. Fairly sure I seen her hesitate for a moment and that she started to get that particular grin as well but she went ahead and put it in my IV. Than I woke up.

Yep, that's all there was to it. One second I'm awake and the next it is 1 1/2 later and I am waking up. About 20 minutes later I am reeling towards the door thinking I was glad I didn't take the bike.

The wife drove us home in record time and this time did not miss a single turn. I am not sure if it was because the escaping "air" from my procedure or because the navigator wasn't fully functional. As we were driving home she told me they found 3 polyps but that the doc thought that they were okay. She also told me they removed some hemorrhoids as well. I couldn't leave that one alone now could I? I said that since they took out the things that were a pain in my butt what was she still doing here (I blame the after affects of the anesthesiology for that one). Did you know that my Sweetie is so talented that she can drive, change lanes and punch me in the shoulder all at the same time? After I got home I ate and ate and ate and then slept for about 4 hours. It was a peaceful rest I will say that.

Would I do it again? Yeah, it was no where near as bad as I had expected. Would I recommended it to someone else? You bet you. It is a small inconvenience to know that you do or do not have the 3rd leading form of cancer in the United States. If you are of that age, man or woman, go get it done. I want the chance to get to meet as many of you as I can and your loved ones will appreciate it as well.

Well, we are glad it all "worked" out! All kidding aside, you are right, it is a very important part of your health check up.

I didnt have any polyps, but I had something the opposite, instead of growing inside my little "growths" grew to the outside. Not an issue says the doc unless one should decide to rupture and spew toxic waste into my abdominal cavity!

My doc actually managed to get that camera into my small intestine a ways....that was my problem with severe cramping until I could get rid of the gas.