IGNORED

Help, 84 Venture

keyscruising

Hi Guys,

I need some help. Parked my 84 Venture for about 6 months. Was running fine when I last rode it. Put in fresh fuel and bike started right up. Engine seems to be working just fine. Went to put it in gear and the bike stalled. Checked the kick stand switch and all was good. If I idle up the engine quite a bit and then go into gear the bike will move but it's like it doesn't want to . If I try to manually move the bike it rolls around just fine. I am assuming that there is a transmission issue. What could have gone wrong just sitting there and what can I check out myself before I have t haul the bike 70 miles to the closest yamaha dealer?? Thanks...John

Sounds like what maybe happened to my Honda. Since I ride the RSV mostly, the VTX sat in the garage...went to take it out and it did the same thing. After fiddleing, it seemed the clutch needed bleeding. Just a thought. Good Luck.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

Thanks !

I will check that but it does shift into gear fine. It's like once it's in gear and I go to let out the clutch and the bike starts to move forward there is something "bogging" the bike down . It doesn't want to move freely. Like something in the transmission is not letting the engine "power" be transferred to the rear wheel. Like I'm trying to pull a 500lb weight with the bike.

Hey John,

Needless to say, these beasts don't like sitting around for an extended period of time. The bleeding of the clutch Master Cylinder is an excellent Idea. Look for a small puddle of brake fluid on the left side of the bike behind the foot peg. This would indicate a clutch slave cylinder weeping. Another thing I would try is to start the bike on the center stand and let it "warm up" real good. (20 minutes or more) Then try to take the bike for a good long, (blow the cobwebs out kinda' ride on the free way) If this does make the clutch action better, then an oil change is in order pronto! When oil sits in a crankcase for 6 months it becomes acidic and basically the clutch discs and plates are glued together. Fresh oil and a few good long rides will free things up and you should be go to go again. If the clutch fluid is any other color than clear then take a GOOD CLOSE LOOK at brake Master Cylinders as well, If you haven't done a brake fluid flush and replace in the last year or so then it's time for some sorely needed maintenance.

Keep us posted as to how this is progressing, :thumbsup2:

Earl

Well Guys....Thanks for all the ideas ! I started the bike and let it run on the center stand for about 30 minutes at a high idle. Took the bike out and everything seemed to work as advertised. No problems so I filled up with fresh fuel and took a little 60 mile ride. Bike ran great. Tomorrow I will change the oil. Thanks again !! John