• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GRINDO,

Perhaps thats the reasoning behind the extra LOUD HARLEYS!:big-grin-emoticon:

You may have a point.

Or,

Perhaps we could introduce some oil into our exhaust system or better yet coolant as it stinks to high heaven ....

Oh, heres the perfect solution.

My wife makes this hunters concoction made with Skunk extract and vaseline. Just a tiny touch on a stick placed outside your hunting location overpowers the deers smelling senses. Now, take it to the next notch, introduce it into your tailpipe and PU !

If they don't back off from that smell, I'd be scared, very scared :thumbsup2:

Read the whole sentence--It says---Yes,I will speed up to the legal limit and they still tailgate me.

People that tailgate are the one's being aggressive. I shouldn't have to drive 10 mph over the legal speed limit just to satisfy them.

I think you are absolutely right. Hopefully not dead right, but right all the same.

tx2sturgis, I've actually stopped completly stopped in my lane on a back country road and had a car stop behind me. This was after I dropped back behind my wife (a beginning rider) that was being tailgated. I walked back and very calmly said "Please stop tailgaiting " at which time she cussed me out and went around me. The funny thing was we were in a passing zone... :confused24: Go figure...

So, some people simply won't pass you just because we're feeling a bit uncomfortable.

Humans have five senses : Sight , Hearing , Touch, Smell, Taste

The smell and hearing part I've already covered.

Lets have some fun with this. Who can come up with a way to creatively/SAFELY keep people from tailgaiting us?

On the way back from Pittsburg I got one of my :lightbulb:moments.

What would cause ME to follow at a longer distance to the vehicle in front of me?

Well, I ALWAYS give a dump truck twice or even three times the distance because of what might fall off of it.

So that would be sight. Hum... a 3 foot oak board with say 50, 16 penny nails driven into it facing up, laying on my luggage rack loosely tied (but unable to fall off mind you), might provide the incentive for others not to tailgate. Or a (tied down bowling ball) rolling around side to side in my hitch rack?

How about some skunk sent (for hunting) mixed with some old engine oil and injected into the headers. Not enough for a full fledged smoke screen but enough to be obnoxious.

Back in my teens I had rigged my car up with a hose and nozzle to the back to spray windshield washer fluid at anyone that was tailgating. It usually got the point across real quick, especially for convertibles.

Now you have my demented little mind going, that is never a good thing.:think:

I have thought about this thread several times lately and really thought about it last night. I was 1st in line in the right lane and there was a tuner type Honda in the left lane on a divided fourlane going away from town. When the light changed, he accellerated quickly and I paced him for about half way thru 1st gear. I then cranked it on and left him and moved over into his lane due to slower traffic in the right lane. Even though there was traffic in the left lane going about 10 over, I kind of got trapped and this idiot was right against me. I was finally able to move over and let him by, but he could not go anywhere either.

When some traffic cleared a little, he was still tailgateing a guy in the left lane and I stayed beside him to just pace him so he could not move over. I never could see him look over at me and then he did a quick left turn.

When it was over with, I was mad at myself for messing with him and then letting myself get trapped in front of him. But, I was glad he did the quick turn as I was just about to fall in behind him and follow him. But, he was just some punk and the best thing to do is just stay from him.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

It seems best to just let them go around. If I am in a rural setting two lane road, I will slow and wave them around. The time on the bike will be much more enjoyable and safer. Since you don't want to be distracted by the car doing this and we all know if something happens in front of us, they will push us into whatever it is.

When they come around I have learned to not move too way to the right of my lane when they pass or they will cut into your lane.

You all ride safe

I don't mind letting other bikes past me if I'm just cruising and they want to get by but there is no open lane for them to pass. I'll pull to the right track and wave them by to my left - sharing the lane.

I have had sport bikes come zipping past on the right in my lane without invitation. Saw them coming but wasn't too happy when they took the position. Was a no passing zone on a two lane road. I wasn't exactly going slow either !

I am never as worried about myself as I am about the other half. I had one guy on my butt at 55 on a rural Georgia mountain road many years ago. He was close enough that I could see the scratches on his hood. I tried to slow down and wave him by, but he just crept a bit closer. I eventually found a grassy part of the shoulder to pull over and let him by, and gave him a 1 finger salute as he went by. He looked like the rednecks in Easy Rider, complete with a shotgun in the window rack of the pick-up. He did't stop, but I was very uneasy for the next several miles, wondering if I would see him coming back the other way. Don't know the solution, but I kinda like the skunk smell idea, if only it would just stay behind the bike, and not tag along.:headache:

Other ideas I had other than a friendly flashing sign... A camera flash mounted under the trunk facing directly backwards with a trigger button mounted on the handlebars... and something about a small propane tank, piping and spark plugs mounted in the mufflers...

These ideas dwell in the darker regions in my mind and that's where they will probably stay.:fingers-crossed-emo

I've been kind of reading this thread off and on.

I was on my way home today in my truck and came up on a guy on a bike. I was doing 55 but the closing rate was real fast. This guy was an accident looking for some place to happen. Wind is a little gusty and he was riding speeds of 60mph down to 40 and all over the road. I would guess the wind at around 25 to 30 mph but this was obviously a new rider on a new bike with new leathers and a new helmet. Although it was hard to do I tried to maintain 6 to 8 car links from him but it was hard to do.

Hope he makes it where ever he's headed.

Just talking about the other side of the coin,

BOO