IGNORED

Which style of carburetor synchronizer?

a1bummer

Which style of carburetor synchronizer do you think is better? The kind with vacuum gauges or the kind with mercury filled tubes? Or whichever kind of Hg alternative they're using these days. Would the gauges be as accurate? I don/t really want to worry about losing the Hg or other fluid either like many here have done on accident.

I personally hate the carbtune. Nasty horrible tool that cannot be calibrated, sticks all the time even when new out of box and gets dirty inside that just makes it worse. It does not actually measure the vacuum at all - it measures the volume of air rushing by the loose metal rods in the glass tubes - that is why it gets dirty and sticks all the time! Yes, I have used one on many bikes, so I do have first hand experience with them. A friend even brought me his new one that had never been unpacked, and my calibration test proved that one tube was significantly off. The paperwork that comes with it specifically states they cannot be adjusted. I would not own one even if it was free.

The manual gauge sets have completely sealed internal parts (can never get dirty inside), can be easily calibrated if needed, are very accurate, are very rugged, and even measure pressure as well as vacuum if you ever need it. And they can be purchased for about $50.

Goose

I personally hate the carbtune. Nasty horrible tool that cannot be calibrated, sticks all the time even when new out of box and gets dirty inside that just makes it worse. It does not actually measure the vacuum at all - it measures the volume of air rushing by the loose metal rods in the glass tubes - that is why it gets dirty and sticks all the time! Yes, I have used one on many bikes, so I do have first hand experience with them. A friend even brought me his new one that had never been unpacked, and my calibration test proved that one tube was significantly off. The paperwork that comes with it specifically states they cannot be adjusted. I would not own one even if it was free.

The manual gauge sets have completely sealed internal parts (can never get dirty inside), can be easily calibrated if needed, are very accurate, are very rugged, and even measure pressure as well as vacuum if you ever need it. And they can be purchased for about $50.

Goose

I agree with the GooseMan. Just make sure you install the restriction valves in the lines so that you can control the needle bounce. You can get a very accurate sync with the gauges.

JMHO.

Thanks for the input guys. I decided to side with KiteSquid on this one and get the Hg manometer. I found his thread earlier today and had some of the same thoughts as others. Thanks for that link again KiteSquid. The only thing is that I have to be careful not to dump out the Hg. The Hg never goes out of wack and won't stick. It's also compact and will store easier. Or so it looks anyway. The price was also a plus.

I thought about the Carbtune. SyncPRO, and the gauges. I didn't like the idea of the rods that need to slide. They can get dirty and not work properly. The gauges were big and could get sticky from oxidation where the moving parts meet. Even as few as there may be. But the price wa good. Especially on eBay. The SyncPRO and the Carbstick were my best choices, but the Carbstick had the better price and was more compact and easier to store. Plus I'm not afraid of the Hg as I work in labs and know the dangers and how to handle it properly. At least I better anyway. Now that I said that, watch me make an ass of myself.

Thanks, Bill