IGNORED

Need help with a 1988 headlight problem

fixit3546

Probably the Starter Button is stuck and can't come out enough to enable the Head Light. There the normally open Contact which operates the Starter Relay and a normally closed which shuts the Head Liht out while starting.

Clean the Contacts and check again.

also could be the headlight relay!

There is no headlight relay on the 1st gens. Everything is controlled by the Reserve Lighting Unit.

Some more information as to the headlight problems would be helpful in suggesting a remedy.

Gary

Thanks for the quick replies! :}

The problem is that I wont be able to take possession until next week. it is about 200 miles from me and that is the first chance i will have to go get it.

As i understand the problem,........there is no head light at all....

I have an 83 that had the problem with the hi beam not working. it turned out to be the cold soldier joints in the computer in the dash...........I don't know if it is a common problem with the 88 or not.

Hadn't thought about the start button. I have that problem with the 83, i have to pop it a time or two to get the light to come on on it (i should have thought of that)

I had hoped someone would be familiar with the problem and give me some good starting points. .............keep 'em coming:think:

Just sealed the deal on a brand new used 1988 Venture Royal, The previous owner had ha headlight problem and couldn't figgure it our....All other lights work as they should........Any ideas on what might be wrong.

Based on my own experience, if it is just the headlight (and dash light) and your signals etc still work, it is likely to be the contacts alongside the starter switch contacts. It is surprising how fouled these contacts can get over time even though they are not exposed. There is a detailed description of the fix with excellent pictures in the technical section.