I just got a 1986 Venture Royale with 33,000 miles on it.We just took it on a 1200 mile loop thru California and all went well. On freeway riding my rpms were arond 3800 to 4100 for speeds between 65 to75 mph. Does that sound normal for that speed and is that motor happy running that speed all day long? I'm used to lower rpm's as my last bike was a road king.

Sounds about right. When I went down to MO. a few years ago, I was running between 80-85 mph most of the way and it didn't give me a lick of trouble and purred like a kitten all the way. The 17* weather, snow, sleet, or rain never bothered it either. Wish I could've said the same for myself though.

My 88 is about the same. It likes that RPM.

When cruising at 55-60 I am in 4th gear to keep it at around that 4000 RPM mark. Around town at low speeds I keep it around 3000rpm just to keep the noise down. if I'm in heavy traffic then I stay near the 4000 so that I have some better throttle response if needed to escape a cage.

Hope that helps.

Sounds about right to me. I rarely use 5th gear until I'm hitting 70 mph. I've had a few interesting conversations with other riders about running down the Interstate in the 60 mph zome and then coming into the 75 mph zone. I can hear the other riders revving up and I kick it into 5th and roll away.

Now I've been told by a few V-twin guys that I'm "Gonna blow that sucker up!" a few times.

Nah....things like that don't cross my mind until I hit about 7,000 rpm. Love the sound of those Macs!

These bikes really don't hit the power band until what?...........4,500 rpm?

Mike

Yes, 4000= 72mph on the speedo. Mine has so much torque and is tuned so good ...I am able to run 2500 in 5th and it just motors away in 5th when needed when riding solo. 5th is NOT an overdrive. If it feels like one...yours needs a tune up.

My 87'VR has a late model FJR1300 final drive in it and I'm at 4800 RPMS in that 75 range. For the 82 plus thousand miles I have on this bike, if there was a day that I rode and it didn't see "Red Line", I went for another ride. With the VMAX top end, I can solidly and dependbly run the tach. to an honest 8000+ RPMS and so far have never damaged this motor. I think Jimbob hit the nail right on the head, with the higher speed limits, and most people looking for the "Cruiser" style of riding, the Second Gen. RSV and RSTD reflects the change in the reving of the engine with almost two overdriven gears in their transmission.

Earl

Hey Jack,

Jean and I went to New York over the 4th of July holiday 2up fully loaded. Over 600 mile trip thanks to Bob's directions, we averaged 50MPG. With the old, stock final drive I have gotten as good as 55MPG. So even though I lost 5 MPG, for the extra gitty-up I am not complaining. Now for my disclaimer, I have run this bike solo, at 108MPH for an entire tank of gas on the 4 lane highway and only got 34MPG! Past about 4500 RPMS, the VMAX heads and Cams really start to "breathe" and gas milage goes out the window. The biggest benifit from the FJR/VMAX final drive was as I loaded the bike up with a passenger, luggage or even a trailer, the final drive moved the tranny into the power band of the engine. It seems like the motor doesn't have to "LUG" as much, and because I can stay in 5th gear more but still have power, the bike actually gets better gas milage, until "I drop the hammer" then the gas gage and the speedo start racing each other.

I hope this answers your question, Jack.:think:

Earl

Hey Jack,

Jean and I went to New York over the 4th of July holiday 2up fully loaded. Over 600 mile trip thanks to Bob's directions, we averaged 50MPG. With the old, stock final drive I have gotten as good as 55MPG. So even though I lost 5 MPG, for the extra gitty-up I am not complaining. Now for my disclaimer, I have run this bike solo, at 108MPH for an entire tank of gas on the 4 lane highway and only got 34MPG! Past about 4500 RPMS, the VMAX heads and Cams really start to "breathe" and gas milage goes out the window. The biggest benifit from the FJR/VMAX final drive was as I loaded the bike up with a passenger, luggage or even a trailer, the final drive moved the tranny into the power band of the engine. It seems like the motor doesn't have to "LUG" as much, and because I can stay in 5th gear more but still have power, the bike actually gets better gas milage, until "I drop the hammer" then the gas gage and the speedo start racing each other.

I hope this answers your question, Jack.:think:

Earl

Thanks for the feedback Earl. The best I could do with the '83 was 50mpg in the twisties. 38mpg out on the slab buckin' wind in 5th. The '99 is the one that concerns me. The first tank through it was 29mpg. I haven't done anything to it yet, but right now it's worse than a horse eatin' oats.... Of course that's about what the milage was like on the '83 before I started tweeking it. I have a V-Max final sitting on the shelf. Not sure which bike I'm going to put it in, but I didn't want to make things any worse if it ended up in the '99....

Hey Jack,

That Second Gen. Needs an extra hole in the VMAX Final Drive for the speedo sensor.

Unless of course you use your GPS for your Speedo. Still, it would only be a lazy day for the install, and if you were installing a new rear tire, you would be half way there. Please don't take this the wrong way but at 29MPG's you have other problems with this bike. V7Goose seems to have a pretty good list of Carb. related items that you could start with to get that back to a respectable number. I haven't tinkered with enough Second Gens. to direct you to a overwelming single cause other than to say, fresh set of plugs, Carb. Sync. and clean set of air filters.:confused24: Good Luck with this project,

Earl

Hey Jack,

That Second Gen. Needs an extra hole in the VMAX Final Drive for the speedo sensor.

A fresh set of plugs, Carb. Sync. and clean set of air filters.:confused24: Good Luck with this project,

Earl

Yep, I'm aware of the sensor Earl. Thinking of just picking up a 2ndGen final and swapping out the gears if I decide to use it in the '99.

And those are the first items I plan on attacking. Damn those K&N Air Filter's are expensive!! :mo money:

With my new Vmax rear I have seen no change in MPG. 37-42 depending on how/where I drive. Bike overall runs much smoother at lower speeds and needs less shifting. Solo - 4th is good down to 25MPH and 5th down to 35-40 MPH. I'm pretty happy with it. Seems like this should have come from the factory this way.