IGNORED

This might get me on a Harley....some day

royalstarjac

The Road Glide is and always has been a far superior handling motorcycle to the Electra Glide Ultra. I had an Ultra Classic and road a friends Road Glide and it was way better handling. The front end steering is very light and quick.

:farmer:

still several draw backs for me. try tube type tires, aircooled, non unit complex drive train, push rods, two valves per cyl., archaic engineering design, both mechanical and asthetic, price, and on and on and on. come on harley, your going to get caught with your pants down in the tecnology department. they may be on top right now but it's going to be the 60's all over for them soon, if they don't get their head out of the sand. :depressed:

still several draw backs for me. try tube type tires, aircooled, non unit complex drive train, push rods, two valves per cyl., archaic engineering design, both mechanical and asthetic, price, and on and on and on. come on harley, your going to get caught with your pants down in the tecnology department. they may be on top right now but it's going to be the 60's all over for them soon, if they don't get their head out of the sand. :depressed:

OMG!!!! You must really hate Harleys and they don't even whine.

Fuel injection, throttle by wire, ABS, no cassette deck. Yeah they're behind the times.

Love riding with my Harley Friends they Can't hear the whine and neither can I. Did I mention they wearing protection (Radio, CB, GPS? not these hardcore posers) LOL :backinmyday:

Half will not ride anymore because they are at 48,xxx or 49,xxx miles and the HD Dealer will have to tear it down for some kind of roller replacement at $2,XXX.xx, now I know why they call it the HOG and not the HRG. :whistling:

Masterguns TY 4 your Service, Ole froggy went camping in Afghanistan in 2003... DoH!

Ride Safe what ever you ride :080402gudl_prv:

Come on now; those of us that have Yamahas also have to invest in repairs and way before hitting the 48 or 49 k mark; I read all the posts too. Harleys are well made in my opinion; have owned them for almost 50 years. Heck, I owned a HD before Yamaha was even thought about. Had an 87 LowRider that I bought new and sold with well over 120k and no rollers of anykind had to be replaced and it too, didn't whine and was extremely reliable. Had it for 10 years. When I sold it, I almost got what I paid for it new. Do that with a Yamaha. Like everything these days, lots of exaggerated claims about Harleys. Don't misunderstand me, everyone has different taste in bikes, I just happen to like them both but still would rather have a 1st edition because it doesn't look like a Harley.

And TY for your camping trip to Afghanistan as well. Keep cool.

MG

Come on now; those of us that have Yamahas also have to invest in repairs and way before hitting the 48 or 49 k mark; I read all the posts too. Harleys are well made in my opinion; have owned them for almost 50 years. Heck, I owned a HD before Yamaha was even thought about. Had an 87 LowRider that I bought new and sold with well over 120k and no rollers of anykind had to be replaced and it too, didn't whine and was extremely reliable. Had it for 10 years. When I sold it, I almost got what I paid for it new. Do that with a Yamaha. Like everything these days, lots of exaggerated claims about Harleys. Don't misunderstand me, everyone has different taste in bikes, I just happen to like them both but still would rather have a 1st edition because it doesn't look like a Harley.

MG

No sir, you are wrong. My 02 RSMV with 130,000+ miles has never had a problem. Normal service and that has been all. My 2000 HD Ultra Classic broke down 5 times in 9,000 miles. Which would you rather ride cross country? I have an issue with the CB radio right now but I may fix it or I may forget it.

:farmer:

I've been looking at Road Glides, wishing they had a tour pack. Oh well I'll have to wait a couple of years to get a used one.

They do, it is just an option.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/browse/browse_products.jsp?WebLogicSession=MQzxGSD0bQIAhMzuPLDOS5jH9Py6L1IJS1rppzTNCW6dMn4Vc4IA!962464978!hiwpbmsp03.ihd.hd!7005!8005&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374309383533&bmUID=1280357234082&bmLocale=en_US

MG

And just exactly what does a Harley look like? Indian could have built a V twin in 1903.I have a 1st gen that looks like a Goldwing and a 2nd gen that looks just like a motorcycle

And just exactly what does a Harley look like? Indian could have built a V twin in 1903.I have a 1st gen that looks like a Goldwing and a 2nd gen that looks just like a motorcycle

Me too! Interesting, my lst Gen doesn't look much like a GW and my Harley looks like a 2d Gen and Harleys have been around alot longer than 2d Gens. It's the body style I am referring to. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

OMG!!!! You must really hate Harleys and they don't even whine.
no i think harleys are high quality and a very nice looking bike. just the same old basic design with some try to make it modern bandaids. the v-rod motor was an attempt to modernize that did'nt work. it's not big enough for a tourer and the harley crowd won't accept it. as far as the v-twin, the harley engine is an awsome design if you like classic engineering. i love the design of the harley engine, but it is archaic. like 3 piece crank, roller bearing lower end, push rods and 2 valve heads, air cooled, etc. it's just the same old bike. the saddle bags and trunk are tha same shape they were 30 years ago. just to much money for what you get. i'm just stating my opinion. if someone else likes a harley, more power to them. lots of folks don't like what i ride. :2133:

First of all I like all bikes if it has 2 wheels and an engine I'll ride it. OK you Harley experts correct me if I am wrong. I rode my friends Harley (that the one that looks like a Road King without the trunk) yes it easier to balance and manage but if felt a lot smaller than my Venture, more like my old Kawasaki Vulcan 800 (which had in 1997 a wheel base 1/2" longer than a RK) and the heat coming from between my legs at the light was just too much. I am no longer 20 years old and nor is my wife, we are not extremely big people but rather average, looking at the Harley we would not fit comfortably on it definitely not like we do on the Venture. Then a Harley owner explained to me that HD make a kit you can buy to move the trunk further back to make more room for the passenger. Now I know why some trunks on Harley vibrate more than others. The further out you move the weight the more it moves and leads to cracks. Now is this true or not?

I my opinion it feels smaller and it is smaller. So if you are thinking of going from a RSV or a GW to HD better try it out for size first.

Edited by Ferrantelli

Well I sold my 2007 Venture yesterday. I am riding my 2008 Stratoliner until next spring when I plan on trading it in on a full dresser. If I had to buy one now it would by an Electra Glide. I'm hoping Yamaha comes out with a new full dresser this fall. I don't care if it has the Vmax engine or the Stratoliner engine. Just do something!!!

:fingers-crossed-emo

i love the design of the harley engine, but it is archaic.

one could then say that the V8 engine is archaic ....

Archaic it may be but obviously it is withstanding the test of time and similar to the V8 "vehicle" engine, the Harley engine has seen modern improvements such as the move from carburated to fuel injection (for example).

Not knocking the Yammi V4 nor the RSV but what has changed since it's inception?... absolutely nothing (excluding the new Vmax motor). What has changed/improved in the Harley comparative model in the last 11 years ... a lot!

....just thought I'd throw some more "musings" into the pot for the halibut.