IGNORED

A question of music

Just can't justify (a camouflaged verb for poor and almost broke) the Zumo 665 with all the nice radio, weather, traffic and etc. Is there a simple replacement for my tape deck that will allow me to plug in a USB flash drive thats loaded with my choice BLUEGRASS??? I have been using my MP3 player but the cord and dead batteries are an issue. Just:fishin: for a :dancefool:solution so I can :Venture: with a :301:Freddie.

Hey Freddie,

I purchased the Garmin NUVI 855 last year, (actually Jean bought it for my birthday!) and have been VERY happy with the features it has. It has a mini SD card that I have loaded with many songs That I enjoy. I have also purchased extra mini SD cards that I have filled with different types of "mood" music. The coolest feature I like about this unit is the fact that it has an FM transmitter, you set your FM radio to a obscure channel and the GPS/MP3 player plays right thru to the stereo on your bike! Plus it has voice commands for turns and when it's time to turn, the radio is muted and the voice is also broadcasted over your stereo radio! Is that cool or what! I have the unit hard wired into the fuse box on my VR and charging batteries is a thing of the past. I have attached a few pics, and I dare say that you would be hard pressed to find a cleaner install, the NUVI 855 is the wide screen version and has excellent visibility in the day time. It also has an audio jack out in case you would like to use a set of headphones while riding. I sell a power supply cable for all of the Garmin NUVI modles. The best thing about this unit is I paid less then $200.00 for a brand new unit!! If you have any other questions about the power supply, the mount or other features, please feel free to PM me.

Good luck on your search for a GPS/MP3 Player!:thumbsup2:

Earl

MOUNT COMPLETED.jpg

NUVI 855 MOUNTED.jpg

Edited by skydoc_17
CRAYON BROKE!

Garmin Nuvi 780 with built in MP3 player. You can find them very reasonably priced on ebay & other sites. I have an 8gig card in mine and it'll hold lots of music. plus the gps works well too. It's not waterproof tho, so you need to keep a sandwich bag handy in case of rain.

Hey Freddie,

I purchased the Garmin NUVI 855 last year, (actually Jean bought it for my birthday!) and have been VERY happy with the features it has. It has a mini SD card that I have loaded with many songs Theat I enjoy. I have also purchased extra mini SD cards that I have filled with different types of "mood" music. The coolest feature I like about this unit is the fact that it has an FM transmitter, you set your FM radio to a obscure channel and the GPS/MP3 player plays right thru to the stereo on your bike! Plus it has voice commands for turns and when it's time to turn the radio is muted and the voice is also broadcasted over your stereo radio! Is that cool or what! I have the unit hard wired into the fuse box on my VR and charging batteries is a thing of the past. I have attached a few pics,and I dare say that yu would be hard pressed to find a cleaner install, the NUVI 855 is the wide screen version and has excellent visibility in the day time. It also has an audio jack out in case you would like to use a set of headphones while riding. I sell a power supply cable for all of the Garmin NUVI modles. The best thing about this unit is I paid less then $200.00 for a brand new unit!! If you have any other questions about the power supply, the mount or other features, please feel free to PM me.

Earl

You can also use the Buddy Rich cable instead of the fm transmitter. Then you don't have to keep searching for obscure stations.

If you are just looking for something to play music, somebody here posted about this product some time back. Never did hear how it worked out.

Also haven't found a USA seller but there is probably one somewhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Car-Tape-Player-SD-Card-Cassette-Adapter-MP3-PC-/190423112067?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_PortableAudio_MP3PlayerCarKits&hash=item2c561a1983

Just can't justify (a camouflaged verb for poor and almost broke) the Zumo 665 with all the nice radio, weather, traffic and etc. Is there a simple replacement for my tape deck that will allow me to plug in a USB flash drive thats loaded with my choice BLUEGRASS??? I have been using my MP3 player but the cord and dead batteries are an issue. Just:fishin: for a :dancefool:solution so I can :Venture: with a :301:Freddie.

Wally World $29 or $39 2 Gig MP3 Player by RCA size of a Big Thumb holds 750 songs and get this uses an AAA Battery that runs 12 to 18 hours. I did the "Remove cassette deck" steps posted in Tech Library then pulled out the 3.5mm jack and velcro that sucker to my Gas Cap cover. :thumbsup2:

What kind of MP3 player are you using now? Maybe there is a 12 volt cord you could use to keep it playing.

Also, what about a cigarette lighter MP3 player that transmits to the FM radio?

You wouldn't be able to control the MP3 player so you would have to load the SD card the way you would want to listen to it.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Transmitter-Lighter-Capacity-SDSDB-8192-A11/dp/B001XSKU9E]Amazon.com: In-Car MP3 Player & Wireless FM Radio Transmitter for USB Flash Drive & SD Card…@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51i%2BWUe123L.@@AMEPARAM@@51i%2BWUe123L[/ame]

When I gutted my cassette player I added a cig lighter (ops I think they call them popwer ports now) to the inside on the right hand side. I have enough room to plug in my phone charger to my blackberry phone which has 8 gig of music stored on it. I still have room to close the door to the "old cassette player" area. keep the phone charged. Cost all total was under under $20. Also my phone has Navigator on it so I have my GPS data when I need it.

Hey Freddie,

I purchased the Garmin NUVI 855 last year, (actually Jean bought it for my birthday!) and have been VERY happy with the features it has. It has a mini SD card that I have loaded with many songs That I enjoy. I have also purchased extra mini SD cards that I have filled with different types of "mood" music. The coolest feature I like about this unit is the fact that it has an FM transmitter, you set your FM radio to a obscure channel and the GPS/MP3 player plays right thru to the stereo on your bike! Plus it has voice commands for turns and when it's time to turn, the radio is muted and the voice is also broadcasted over your stereo radio! Is that cool or what! I have the unit hard wired into the fuse box on my VR and charging batteries is a thing of the past. I have attached a few pics, and I dare say that you would be hard pressed to find a cleaner install, the NUVI 855 is the wide screen version and has excellent visibility in the day time. It also has an audio jack out in case you would like to use a set of headphones while riding. I sell a power supply cable for all of the Garmin NUVI modles. The best thing about this unit is I paid less then $200.00 for a brand new unit!! If you have any other questions about the power supply, the mount or other features, please feel free to PM me.

Earl

I just bought the 855 too, and while I'm happy with it as a GPS, I was really diappointed with the sound quality of MP3's. I went back to using my ipod for music and my GPS for directions. The problem is, I can't fully hear the directions over the music. I even amped up the factory preset volume limiter from 65% to 99% on the GPS. However, I found that when I'm riding, I hear the GPS enough to simply glance at it for the next turn. So far, this method has worked just fine.

If you are just looking for something to play music, somebody here posted about this product some time back. Never did hear how it worked out.

Also haven't found a USA seller but there is probably one somewhere.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Car-Tape-Player-SD-Card-Cassette-Adapter-MP3-PC-/190423112067?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_PortableAudio_MP3PlayerCarKits&hash=item2c561a1983

I bought one of these, it is cheap and flimsy but it works great!! If you just want to load an sd card and play music thru your tape deck, ya cant beat it. No wires, pretty good battery life. CHEAP!

• 3 weeks later...

For the moment I am using an FM transmitter like shown above, and have used it in cars, trucks and the Honda Trike for about 3 years now. I am also working with Pete at Bike MP3 on a setup like for the Goldwing that will plug into the CD portion of the radio, and should be controllable on the bar control somewhat. I don't know the exact status right now ( Pete is swamped in his projects ) As soon as there is one up and running I should have it, and will report back on the performance...