IGNORED

After 30 + years I finally did it - not for faint of heart

Hummingbird

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OUCH!!! That brings back bad memories. Just so you won't feel so bad, I was dumb enough to get the same thumb twice. First time required a skin graft, the second time only stitches. The good news is I still have the thumb. You can't be careful enough.

Allrighty then!! saw blades do not do neat work on flesh and bone, jagged edged cuts are the best you can hope for.

Hope it heals well, you know thumbs are the only thing that seperates us from....

good job on the pics!!

Looks like last fall when I was trimming the Lilac bushes and used the trimmer to cut my thumb and nail down the middle........... about 5/8ths of an inch from the tip down thru......

Looked at it and went------ "Now THAT's gonna hurt!"

Went in the house, washed it out, packed it with Neosporin, wrapped it in a couple of bandaids for about three months (NOT the same band-aid, you dummies!), nerve still tingles a little, but hardly any scar and the nails grown back out.......

I never get hurt at work, just at home like most of us....

did that this past march. had a kickback while using a dado blade. removed 60% of tendon and most of knuckle on index finger. lost thumbnail on thumb, and several stitches on middle finger. had second surgery in june to fuse knuckle.doc's can do amazing things now.good luck and heal up fast!!

I watched one of those DIY shows they were going over tools. They talked about some new table saw that stops on a dime if your hand, finger, whatever touches the blade. They demonstrated it by using a hot dog. It made a small nick on the hot dog, but it stopped immediately. I would take a small nick over that anyday. OUCH!!!!!

Heal up quick so you can get back on the road.

DAYUM! That hurt ME just looking at that!

In my best classic western, Indian-English accent: "HummingBird speak with forked THUMB".

:whistling:

Ok...I once drilled a hole in my index finger when a drill bit slipped. Had to put the drill in reverse to back it out of my finger. Yep...stuff like that hurts.

Good luck buddy.

Brian - thanks :happy65: I needed that just to help eliminate some of this case of stupid I seem to have right now :bang head:

Geesh Dick! That hurts just looking at it. I hope it heals quick, and works normally again.

Brian had me rolling on the floor with the "forked thumb" remark.:rotfl::rotfl:

I thought that was hilarious, he's got quite an imagination with a serious touch of humor

That's a serious OUC OUCH there Dick. I hate finger injuries as they always seem to remind you of your stupidity in cold weather, what all with their throbbing,etc when your hand gets cold.

Once as a teenager I managed to to turn an index finget into hamburger with a gas powered model airplane engine. No bone damage, just chopped meat.

Another time I did like tx2sturgis drilled a neat hole into a finge after drilling thru some sheetmetal. Another nice OUCH.

Well heal well & fast as possible Dick.

Larry

Oh btw glad you didn't do this while you were making the jewerly the boxes or I might not of won one at the International

GOOD NEWS - just got home from the surgeon, he said it is what it is.

That means that I have movement both ways on my thumb and he said he could do a skin graft but all that would do is fatten his wallet (his exact words) and it would be unnecessary surgery.

So the bottom line thus far is that w/o any further invasion my thumb will heal and I will be back to what he called normal ( ??? ) don't know what he meant by that statement, 'cause he doesn't know me at all.

anyway, I'm relieved that it's now just a waiting game, healing and hopefully no infection.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for all the kind words -

This is B2MOM (signed in as B2Dad)...so glad to hear you will be ok. Please heal quickly...as I have almost filled up my jewelry box and may need another. LOL!

Seriously...glad to hear you will be normal again...whatever that may be. I am sure it will be good enough to ride, albeit a few days or maybe longer. Take your time and HEAL!!! And quit talking with a forked thumb! You guys crack me up!

Patti:big-grin-emoticon:

.doc's can do amazing things now.

I will be back to what he called normal ( ??? ) don't know what he meant by that statement, 'cause he doesn't know me at all.

You should have taken him up on that offer :stickpoke:But then we would miss the old Hummingbird:crackup:

Now this incident brought up a question I had for my sign language instructor. If a person that signs loses part of a finger.....would that cause a lisp?

I had to ask. Never got an answer. They were laughing too hard. Was just wondering ya know.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

You will stutter.

remember saws and drills are for wood not meat, well unless your in the meat market.

Get well soon, you should not have much problem with that, just be sure you follow all the post op instructions, and good hand washing until it heals over.

Infection can turn something like that into a major problem.

Gregg

That's why the manufacturer installs blade guards for. But when the end user removes the safety devices (blade guards) the out come is always bad.

Safety first always. I hope you get better soon and get back to riding. In the interim, reinstall the blade gaurd

I am glad you did not cut the whole finger off. But the amazing part is you were able to take a photo and hold the camera steady when you had to be in tremendous pain.

What a man!

Hope it heals up as good as new! You are my new hero!

Yama Mama:223: