IGNORED

Cooler Rack

Monty

I had a local shop (Pitbull Motorcycle Lifts) make me a cooler rack today. I got it bare, and painted it, then added my own lights.

If anyone is interested in one, he is going to draw me up some prices with black paint or powder coat. I will know prices in about a week. You will have to add your own lights.

Not meaning to be negative about your (and other's) fine cooler racks but it would seem to me that they would be illegal because they obstruct the view of the lic plate.

Now, if you were to mount the lic plate on the back of the cooler rack..... oh yeah, and don't forget about that lic plate light (also a requirement by law I believe)

Just curious ... I noticed your wiring connector has 5 wires yet I thought we only needed 4 ... am I misinformed or ???

My trailer was set up for 5-wire, so I set the bike up to match it.

Who cares about the license plate. If they gotta see it, then they can pull me over. I'm all legal.

My main concern was the lights. If they can see me, I don't care about the damn tag.

The bike is 5 wire unless you use an adapter/converter, then you get four wires.

In Ontario it is hard to find a 5 wire plugs but relatively easy in the US.

My Piggy backer is a four wire, the bike and truck also have 4 wire. The Time-out is being coverted from 5 wire to 4

Brad

My trailer was set up for 5-wire, so I set the bike up to match it.

Who cares about the license plate. If they gotta see it, then they can pull me over. I'm all legal.

My main concern was the lights. If they can see me, I don't care about the damn tag.

I have mine set up the same way and been using it for years OK-TX-KS-AR-MO-TN never once have I ever been pulled over for the set up I did have a few police Officer's pull up beside us at red lights giving us good wishes and wished they could go with us never once did any of them say a word about the tag issue...

Well see you at the Hub Monty :happy34:

Quote:

Isn't the thing self-grounded to the bike?

If you look at the receiver, you will see that it is powder coated or painted. That means it is insulated! This obviously is not my thread, but my experience tells me that trailers or any lighting on an accessory connected to the bike through a hitch needs to have a ground wire. A direct connection for ground assures a complete circuit. Makes electrical things work. Any other comments are welcome of course.

I had a local shop (Pitbull Motorcycle Lifts) make me a cooler rack today. I got it bare, and painted it, then added my own lights.

If anyone is interested in one, he is going to draw me up some prices with black paint or powder coat. I will know prices in about a week. You will have to add your own lights.

Hey Monty, I like that!!! Especially the lights. It all looks really good to me. About the only neg thing I would question would be the "swingable" (if that's even a word) hooks. I suspect after a while they might get loose and rattle if not used when not carrying a cooler. But then on second thought if you don't have something on the rack, you probably won't even have the rack on, right? Anyway, looks good man!!

Not meaning to be negative about your (and other's) fine cooler racks but it would seem to me that they would be illegal because they obstruct the view of the lic plate.

I was keepin' that plate thing in mind when I did the luggage box thing. Mine's a little visible, but I figure it's better than when I pulled the camper trailer. You'd never see it when that thing was back there, and I've never had any trouble with the law either.

Later, Scooter Bob

attachment.php?attachmentid=42191&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1267390297

I was keepin' that plate thing in mind when I did the luggage box thing. Mine's a little visible, but I figure it's better than when I pulled the camper trailer. You'd never see it when that thing was back there, and I've never had any trouble with the law either.

Later, Scooter Bob

attachment.php?attachmentid=42191&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1267390297

'nuther dumb question ... how does the bike handle with that extra weight (when loaded) on the back like that??

oh, and don't you have to be concerned about the extra overhang when backing up?? :think: :sign just kidding:

'nuther dumb question ... how does the bike handle with that extra weight (when loaded) on the back like that??

oh, and don't you have to be concerned about the extra overhang when backing up?? :think: :sign just kidding:

Handles fine. We put that on there to get the tent and sleeping bags off the trunk rack when both of us are going somewhere. That weight went back about 1 foot, but down 2 1/2 feet.:thumbsup2:

And, it's really no more weight than a loaded camper trailer would put on it.

You're right though, can't back it up to the curb.:no-no-no:

Later, Scooter Bob

Well I guess this decides it, I will have to make my hitch a receiver hitch.

Does that tray fit a 1-1/4 receiver?

Yes, it fits the 1-1/4. You don't have to change your hitch tho. There is another way.

I'm sure he could make you a rack with this mount.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Receiver-Hitch-Cooler-Rack-Carrier-Goldwing-/130414169614?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5d4a4e0e