Was doing some odds and end things this past weekend and took my air filter box off--After I got it out of the small compartment it is lodged in I noticed someone had taken a 1/4 in. drill bit and drilled about 8 small holes on the sides of the box (all 4 sides)---Do you think this would improve performance or just some "Shade tree Mechanic" trying to increase the air into the carbs?...........................................Thanx......................Larry

What the PO did is bs. These things run too lean already. You need to find a permanent was to repair those holes or pick up another air filter assembly. Recommend Ebay where they always have multiple listings for 1st Gen air boxes. Good luck.

Several years ago on a former Venture web site, some riders were drilling holes in their air boxes to increase their gas mileage. Some were claiming a very real inrease in fuel economy. I was riding the 83 at the time, and I didn't do it because I was happy with my mileage and never had the indication that it was rich. Holes in the air box would have the most effect at high throttle openings. If you want to see if they have any effect on your bike, close them up with duct tape and try it that way.

Frank d.

Ventures are very finecky about air flow and unless you jet it differently, your not going to get any additional benefit from the holes. If you want to have a different air box I believe that I have a spare one, let me know if you want to swap it out.

I'm gonna "duct tape" all 4 sides and see if it makes a difference in MPG or performance--I kinda thought it was crazy to do something like that but as Frankd mentioned-some people come up with some crazy ideas!(lol)!!---thanks guys.......................................................Larry

I drilled 4 5\8" holes in the lid of mine,,,, can't say if it made any difference, but then mine runs fine with the filter off as well, and my mileage is as good or better than any other, not by much, but for sure not worse.