IGNORED

Ok Piggy Backer Owners - I need help/Advise

KeithR

I'm working today, get home about 6PM. I'll measure mine and let you know.

Changes I made....

Increased trailer tire pressure to 40psi.....as recommended by Manuf of trailer in Inst

Removed spare from rear mounting position

Set tongue weight to be 21lbs

No difference what so ever.

ball cup of the coupler to the axle 57"

the width of the axle - center of tire to center of tire 42"

I don't suppose they shipped me the wrong tongue? By looking at the pictures on their site and inst I'm starting to suspect I have the tongue for the regular Piggy backer not the XL........there is 5" difference in the overall length......time to call the Piggy people unless someone has an XL that can measure for me. Doubt I would catch anyone today.

www.piggybacker.com

Keith

Guest tx2sturgis

The specs page shows that the XL is 4 inches wider (48 vs 44) according to the specs, so that would mean it would need to have the longer tongue.

SO! If they DID send you the wrong tongue thats about 5 inches or so shorter, that could sure be enough to make it unstable.

The length of the XL shows to be 90 inches. I assume thats from the tip of the coupler to the very back of the trailer, or bumper.

It feels like the shimmy is coming from under the seat for some silly reason....don't know if that makes sense or not?

Might be a dumb question...but all the focus has been on the trailer....could there be any chance your hitch itself is loose?

Changes I made....

Increased trailer tire pressure to 40psi.....as recommended by Manuf of trailer in Inst

Removed spare from rear mounting position

Set tongue weight to be 21lbs

No difference what so ever.

ball cup of the coupler to the axle 57"

the width of the axle - center of tire to center of tire 42"

I don't suppose they shipped me the wrong tongue? By looking at the pictures on their site and inst I'm starting to suspect I have the tongue for the regular Piggy backer not the XL........there is 5" difference in the overall length......time to call the Piggy people unless someone has an XL that can measure for me. Doubt I would catch anyone today.

www.piggybacker.com

Keith

We talked on the phone about this a couple of days ago. Sure hope this is your problem,because its a fairly easy fix.

I have checked the hitch and all is fine except for the looseness in the receiver itself (DiamondR hitch) which I believe is common with all style hitch's.

Tom from P/B has contacted me and we are working through it. He has confirmed the the tongue length is the same for both style trailers. We are looking at the trailer tires to see if maybe one of them is out of round or just a bad tire?

I'll keep ya informed as to the progress.

Thanks for all the help!!!! Outstanding !!!!!

Keith

Just an update....

I'm working with Tom of P/B and he also mentioned wheels.....so I brought all 3 to work and had the guys check balance(I had them done last yr when I assembled the trailer at a tire shop) one was so bad that it needed 5oz of weight and not doable....it appears the rims are out of round and the tires can't seat properly. Haven't ruled out the tires but there is no way I'm putting those rims back on there after I saw the way 1 of them was bouncing.

So I'm hoping that is whats causing the problem!!

Stay Tuned

Keith

that out of round wheel has to be the problem. Wow, that was bad.

Piggybacker should send you new ones that have been tested, be sure to replace the spare if it also is out of round.

Go to a bigger wheel/tire if you can. the biggest that will fit. Tires will run cooler, ride will be better. Less bounce on bumps.

Also, don't over-inflate. The MAX pressure on the sidewall is just that the Maximum you should use if the trailer/load is at that maximum weight. Most tires have way more capacity than the trailer/bike/car they are on, but it is good to check it. Use the pressure recommended by the trailer manufacturer, NOT by the MAX on the sidewall.

Tom from P/B is in the loop on this situation....great guy and doing everything he can to resolve the situation That's the reason I did the video just to show him exactly what I'm talking about.He is trying to nail down 3 good rims to send to me.....prob is getting 3 good rims that meet an automotive spec .....he is working with the guys where he is getting them balanced. Considering where I'm located he wants to check and confirm what he is sending me are usable.

Stay tuned

Keith

Keith just suggesting but if Piggy backer is doing this under warranty, it may be cheaper for them and faster for you to look locally for a new set of rims and have him pay you. Freight to Newfoundland may be the expensive and slow.

Just an idea that may benefit both of you.

Brad

Guest tx2sturgis

Way back in post number 5, I mentioned that you should check for runout. Try this:

"Radial run-out balancing: Achieved by rotating the wheel and tire assembly two stud positions on the hub, or by rotating the tire 180° on the wheel. If run-out is still over specification, check wheel run-out and mark the low point. Rotate to match the high point of the assembly run-out with the wheel low point. If the assembly run-out is still too high and the wheel is within specification, replace the tire."

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm back!!

I received my replacement rims & tires from Piggybacker today.....man are they nice! I haven't taken the trailer for a run but I just had to show off the new rims.......I guess this is the style they are putting on all the new trailers. The are 6lbs lighter than the old style as well.

Keith

Edited by KeithR

I hope the chrome is better on these. PB replaced two rims and tires for me no charge because they rusted real bad. The new ones are starting to rust as well.

Pretty soon they will have to be painted.

Glad you got them in time, and again PB came through, very good company to deal with

Brad

Well guys I finally got it sorted out!

I received the new rims from Piggybacker on Thursday and just put them on and went for a ride. Now I have that "I don't know its there" feeling. Its a dream to pull no sway/bounce/or shimmy.

A BIG THANK YOU you for all the tips and suggestions! Even got a call from Old Venture 8 trying to give me a helping hand.

We are leaving on Monday for a 10 day trip to Nova Scotia - PEI and New Brunswick and sure glad I have the trailer to take....now the boss don't have to wear all her extra cloths!!

Thanks Again

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying earlier....been on a 10 day ride....was good!

No idea where the first set of rims were made prob China if I had to guess!

The new style rims are aluminum.

We just got back from a tour around the Atlantic prov and the trailer performed 100% with the new rims on there. I had that don't know its there feeling! I was having my doubts when I was having the rim issues but I would highly recommend the Piggybacker! Tom was a great guy to work with. He was on top of the problem I was having and made sure the replacement rims were shimmy free before he shipped them to me.

Keith