IGNORED

Ok what so advanced on HD

footsie

I read post where members talk about how advanced the Harley ultra is and they complain about the lack of updates on the RSV. Some buying harley's and using that as an excuse of why they bought the harley. Now if you want a Harley and can afford one buy it.

I just don't see what is so updated about a harley, over the Venture.

First, Looks the Ultra(electra glide) looks just as it did 50 years ago, and no Harley has no intention of changing it, loyal Harley riders would flip out. Now the modern bikes do have better chrome and more refined looks, but the RSV looks just as good, actually more streamlined to me. Most non-riders don't know the difference.

I hope Yamaha does the same and never change the RSV overall appearance.

Now yes the Harley is fuel injected, but that has pros and cons, I like FI until the electronic problems start.

I can't tell that the sound system on the HD is any louder than the RSV, and mine sounds just as good as Bobby's did( we think his ultra is totaled) even he said mine was as good as his, there was not enough difference to count.

And as far as the cassette, it just fills the hole in the dash, and by the way CD's are fast becoming a thing of the past, the Aux port is the thing now so you can plug your mp3, or ipod into it, my wife and teenager won't even bother with CD's anymore they take up to much room.

So the aux port on the RSV makes it up to date with the new music eq.

As far as the ride that personel preferance, I like the RSV ride, Bobby says the Ultra is smoother at 80 mph, but the RSV is smoother at lower speeds.

Now yes there are tons more accessories for the harley, and Yes I guess if you think it cool to be in the IN crowd and own one, that great too, if it makes you happy go For it.

Now I am just stating my opinion, not to start a war or insult anyone, but this is a RSV site and some of us think it is a near perfect riders machine.

The prices the guys I know spend to service and maintain their Harley's, just recently one of the guys told me he had his serviced, oil and filters changed and belt adjusted

he said her got deal at $535.00. I can't afford it.

Gregg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read post where members talk about how advanced the Harley ultra is and they complain about the lack of updates on the RSV. Some buying harley's and using that as an excuse of why they bought the harley. Now if you want a Harley and can afford one buy it.

First, Looks the Ultra(electra glide) looks just as it did 50 years ago, and no Harley has no intention of changing it, loyal Harley riders would flip out. Now the modern bikes do have better chrome and more refined looks, but the RSV looks just as good, actually more streamlined to me. Most non-riders don't know the difference.

Now yes the Harley is fuel injected, but that has pros and cons, I like FI until the electronic problems start.

I can't tell that the sound system on the HD is any louder than the RSV, and mine sounds just as good as Bobby's did( we think his ultra is totaled) even he said mine was as good as his, there was not enough difference to count.

And as far as the cassette, it just fills the hole in the dash, and by the way CD's are fast becoming a thing of the past, the Aux port is the thing now so you can plug your mp3, or ipod into it, my wife and teenager won't even bother with CD's anymore they take up to much room.

As far as the ride that personel preferance, I like the RSV ride, Bobby says the Ultra is smoother at 80 mph, but the RSV is smoother at lower speeds.

Now yes there are tons more accessories for the harley, and Yes I guess if you think it cool to be in the IN crowd and own one, that great too, if it makes you happy go For it.

Now I am just stating my opinion, not to start a war or insult anyone, but this is a RSV site and some of us think it is a near perfect riders machine.

The prices the guys I know spend to service and maintain their Harley's, just recently one of the guys told me he had his serviced, oil and filters changed and belt adjusted

Gregg[/quote

Why then do so many of the members here own both? Some of what you wrote is true and some is not; like the service charge. I just had my Ultra serviced exactly like what your bud stated but mine was only 108.00. Come on!

I started a thread about my experience test riding a new Ultra. I was pleasantly surprised at the smoothness of the ride.

What I said about the RSV is that Yamaha seems to have no interest in updating anything on it. The cassette deck is like an insult to loyal Venture riders. What other vehicle in the world still has a cassette deck?

Harley looks the same, but there are lots of changes every year. Some of the changes in the last few years are six speed transmission, larger CI engine, better frame, re-routed exhaust.

These are the changes I know about, and I know very little about Harleys.

Venture changes in the last 10 years, color?

Now on the other hand I think the Venture is a prettier bike, it comes standard with cruise, CB radio, intercom, free 5 year warranty. All these are options on a Harley.

I looked at HD rider forums, and guys were talking about having to tear into the engine for this reason or that. I've never heard of anyone on this forum having to go into the engine for anything.

If you sit Idling very long on a Harley you'll probably vibrate a few fillings from your teeth.

I'm not pro Harley and con RSV, I was just stating the obvious frustration that some here have felt that Yamaha offers nothing to entice anyone to buy a new model. Why not buy a 2001? It's exactly the same, and they never seem to wear out.

Peace, Jim T.

They never seem to wear out, I forgot that part.

And yes I thought the same thing $500 for service, but I took his word for what he said he paid, ofcourse i was thinking he was out of his mind for paying it.

Gregg

The thing about HD is they're up-grading their bikes. New frame, six speed tranny, more cc's, fi, etc. They're not redesigning the wheel like all metric co's do.

Metric co's build one bike and its the same for 10 yrs then they discontinue it. Isn't that what just happened to Chrysler with the pt cruiser. And where they not downed by the automotive industry for that?

If Yamaha did the same thing with the Venture, small upgrades every year or so. I think it would attract more buyers and reserve owner loyalty. But, they won't. In a year or two they will discontinue it like everthing else.

Not saying quality is an issue, but its that mentality that I think hurts them and why metric co's have 2 yr old bikes sitting on the show room floor. I'm not an HD fan due to their persona and I think they're to proud of their product. But, they act like they listen to their customers. Metric's could care less and they don't listen to their customers. Well maybe they do....when it will no longer sell then they figure its time to redesign the wheel.

The "updates" Harley does on their bikes is because it was garbage to begin with. Honestly, what update have they done that was anything but to fix a problem?

I have a feeling you are going to start seeing a LOT of past model year "new" bikes on the showroom floor of your local Harley dealer.

I just looked at a new Ultra Limited.. While the chrome and paint have always been better on HD than Yamaha, and the stereo has been better for a few years, all the other 09 changes just bring the HD up to where the RSV has been since 99, minus the smooth liquid cooled engine. And for 7 grand more, without the 5 year warranty, not sure there is a real good reason to change the RSV. Sure it would be nice, but if I was looking to buy a new touring bike right now, it would still be between the RSV, Goldwing, and BMW LT. And the Wing is still not as comfortable, and the BMW still has very limited dealership base and is expensive to maintain.

As far as the cassette deck, it has an AUX jack, most cars didn't have that until recently, and I have cassettes left over from the 70s that the only place I can play them is on the RSV.

Harley's ABS works well,their fuel injected motors get in the neighborhood 50mpg. I dont care what anyone says FI is better and less maintenance then carbs. They ride pretty well, slow speed manuver well. They have good stereos. The vibration is not that bad while cruising in fact fairly smooth. They have good resale value and you can always find parts for them. Aftermarket and Harley. They have responsive dealers and lots of them and seem to take care of their customers. I'm not trying to sell Harley's in fact I don't care for the looks of any of them if someone held a gun to my head I'd take the Roadglide. Yamaha is stuck in a loop that we cant get off of same old crap except the new Vmax. There are thousands and thousands of Harleys out there. They must be doing something right. But Harleys aren't bad bikes and have taken strides to improve their bikes unlike Yamaha. Come on a cassette player and carbs in 2010? When did cassettes start dying 1983? Cassettes were 2 generations of music storage ago. CD's have no business on bikes today with the MP3 player that can hold 2000 songs in the size of a credit card. Time for a change, but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Harely is doing something. :2cents:

Edited by CrazyHorse

Harley makes a decent bike, but for the price difference I like what you get with the Venture. Differences are of course price, looks (I think the Venture looks better), power and smoothness (hands down to the Venture). Up keep (hands down to the Venture). And we got the chirping too remember! Lol But hey to each their on, buy the HD if that's what you want or go with the Venture. The one I would not waste my money on is that ugly cruiser, Victory Freedom cruiser. YUCK! I believe it's call a Freedom but looks like a low flying space ship. :Venture:

Harley's ABS works well,their fuel injected motors get in the neighborhood 50mpg. I dont care what anyone says FI is better and less maintenance then carbs. They ride pretty well, slow speed manuver well. They have good stereos. The vibration is not that bad while cruising in fact fairly smooth. They have good resale value and you can always find parts for them. Aftermarket and Harley. They have responsive dealers and lots of them and seem to take care of their customers. I'm not trying to sell Harley's in fact I don't care for the looks of any of them if someone held a gun to my head I'd take the Roadglide. Yamaha is stuck in a loop that we cant get off of same old crap except the new Vmax. There are thousands and thousands of Harleys out there. They must be doing something right. But Harleys aren't bad bikes and have taken strides to improve their bikes unlike Yamaha. Come on a cassette player and carbs in 2010? When did cassettes start dying 1983? Time for a change, but it ain't gonna happen anytime soon. :2cents:

I went to the Kawasaki/Honda dealer near me today. The Vulcan 1700's look pretty good. Fuel injected vs carbs on the RSTD/Venture. Belt drive which eliminates the middle gear and simplifies the drive train. Real speedometer which works better than the gimmicky Buick speedo that the Yamaha's have. Then you have the spur gears that are noisier, not sure what the other bikes have.

One thing I wonder about is what exactly does the balance shaft do?

The RSTD is a good bike but looking around I am not sure what the compelling reason is to stick with it. Other than the great price I got, I do have a bit of buyers remorse.

I read these posts about Harley's and was convinced they were junk...till I rode one. They ARE a lot of money. But other than that I was very impressed with a rental I had for the day! An 09 Electra Glide Ultra.

If not for the cost I'd be all over it!

Yamaha is stuck in a loop that we cant get off of same old crap

Speaking of same old crap, what about the HD air cooled push rod engine!!!!

And as far as resale, used 2010 Ultra Limited trad in lists for $18,700, 2010 RSV S trade in lists for $12,400 that is about $6k difference, brand new there was ahhhmmmm, $6k difference.

Yamaha got the RSV right back in '99 and the rest are just now catching up!!! I think this says a lot for the forsight of Yamaha way back then. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

What's the excuse for not addressing the clutch whine since '99? The I basket is not a fix (band-aid). How hard is to up date the rear lighting. What I'm saying is why not address the known issues and make it better. I can live with my RSTD though it is for sale, but I won't up-grade to a RSV for that same reason (whine).

I agree, Yamaha makes a quality product, but they don't follow up on it.....

It occurred to me as I was walking through one of the local HD dealership and saw the 10 or so Ultras, 6 or 8 Road Glides and same number of Road Kings all with really nice and differing paint schemes and set ups that Harley really wants to sell these bikes. And, they are still making money by selling a multitude of branded aftermarket items for all of their bikes. Yamaha, conversely, as we all know does not seem to share that thought. Most trips to the dealerships you will be lucky to find even ONE Venture on the sales floor. And, with the manufacturer themselves discontinuing trim items for these bikes that they are still selling I find it hard to feel that they care at all about this market. The bikes are great... I love mine... but there are many things about Yamaha that are purely disappointing. If I were a new customer looking to buy I see a showroom full of impressive glittering H-D's with tons of available accessories or one, single version choice on the Venture or Road Star in the Star "stable", and good luck on the accessories... Easy choice, huh? You are lucky to even find a Star shirt...

Speaking of same old crap, what about the HD air cooled push rod engine!!!!

And as far as resale, used 2010 Ultra Limited trad in lists for $18,700, 2010 RSV S trade in lists for $12,400 that is about $6k difference, brand new there was ahhhmmmm, $6k difference.

Hey no argument from me on the air cooled pushrod thing. They tried a new liquid cooled motor. The VROD has a great liquid cooled FI motor but the Harley loyalists dont care for it. Hell they even had a V4 design that never saw the light of day. I'm just saying Harley's are not that bad of bike and have updated many things. Believe me I'm no Harley guy. Harley does a decent job of caring for their customers and are updating things. They are doing something, evolving somewhat even though I think there is a limit to what you can do with a 1947 bike style. I will give them credit for doing something coming somewhat into the 21st century. Yamaha at this point is a huge disappointment.

As many of you have figued out by reading my posts, I have both an older, some of you may even say antique, lst edition. My first VR was a 1986 VR and I simply loved the bike. So, I finally found another keeper 86 and she looks almost like new and now that it has a newer, non-knocking motor from an 89, it is even closer to perfect. I also have an 01 Ultra Classis HD 1450 that is equally as good looking. It has more chrome on it than most Ultras and the sound is absolutely awesome with the Vance and Hines true duals and monster duals. So, whenever I need to go to the Yamaha dealer to buy parts, I make it a point to ride the Harley and when I go to a HD dealer I make it a point to take my 86 Yamaha. The Yamaha dealer treats me like crap, are extremely smobish, and won't even say hello. Even if I am walking around their new bikes they just let me look alone. On the other hand, the HD guys seem very interested in my "rice burner", come out to have a look see; ask questions about it and some even compliment it. I have even told them that my 24 year old "rice burner" would out run anything they have, with the exception of the V-Rod and they just take that in stride and joke back. They all respect my ownership of a Yamaha, are very friendly and treat me like a customer not an enemy. Basically, I haven't found a Yamaha dealer in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex I have any respect for and worthy of my hard earned bucks should I ever decide to buy new. Basically I think they're all jerks and not worth of my business. With the attitudes these fools display, no wonder Yamaha is experiencing hard times.

Gregg

you missed the major engine upgrades over the years.they did away with the oil cups on the rocker arms and put an oil pump in it. you can now shut off one cylinder when it starts overheating at stoplights. you don't have to put a pan under it when you park it. the engine got rubber mounts so it bounces while the rest of the bike stands still. best of all they really upgraded the price. :rotf::rotf::rotfl::rotf::rotf::depressed:

Gregg

All I'm going to say is that I bought my Ultra because of personnel taste. I bought my VR new in 86, How many 1st gen owners can say that on this site. It will be passed on to my son when I'm gone from this world. I don't bash the RSV and will defend it for the great tourer that it is,but for my taste Yam needs to step up alittle to the plate. When they do, I'll look at the RSV again. Look at the price of a Wing, and alot of members here are switching to it also. (Look under my name to see what I ride.) Because I still own the 86, I'm a member on this site. Its not what you ride its that you ride. People's taste change over the years, but we make friends on this site and at meet and eats and rally's. I believe this site will always be dedicated to the Yam. in the forseeable future,but who knows beyond that.

First of all, great question. I was sort of wondering the same thing since we seem to have a handful of people transitioning out of the RSV and onto other bikes. Some to HDs, Goldwings and one I know is looking for a sport tourer.

Now for the confusing part. I don't really understand why so many of you are so upset about having the Cassette deck. As others have stated we have the cassette deck, Aux port and an optional CD changer -- so what more could you ask for? If you don't like the cassette deck, don't use it or replace it with a storage compartment or a nice set of gauges. I guess I don't understand what the big deal is since Yamaha is giving us options on how to groove to our tunes. Come on now, if they were really behind the times we'd have a phonograph or a wax cylinder...

I happen to use my cassette deck on occasion. I like the fact that I don't have to change the batteries, worry about it skipping when I hit a bump, or have an extra cord hanging between me and the bike (or an extra 'thing' on my bars).

As for Yamaha not [seeming to] address the rear shock 'issue' or the amazing turbo-waste-gate that some of us are 'fortunate' enough to have -- that I do not understand. But who knows, maybe they HAVE been working on it, or tried at some point, and found that what they build/sold was the most reliable option (I don't really believe that, but hey, I don't have any insider knowledge so who am I to assume anything about the internal workings of their engineering department).

Now, to sort of rectify these two issues, the 5 year fender to tail warranty is something that I think is pretty awesome. Realistically, what other brand offers that kind of guarantee with their product? The fact that, in many cases (if not most) the clutch baskets have been switched out under this and many rear shocks have been replaced -- it seems to me that while that isn't ideal (because no one likes their bike to not be perfect) but it seems like a reasonable way to stand behind your product (whether the dealer has the same attitude is a whole different ball of wax).

I have my own 'issues' or dislikes I suppose is the more appropriate term, but, for me the RSV suits my 'wants' in a long distance, touring machine more than any other machine on the market. Since it is the least offensive option, this is what I have.

I don't understand why people take it so personal when someone buys a Harley. We have several members who have moved to a Goldwing and they don't have to defend their choice. It is kinda' funny, all the posts you read about the 'tude of Harley riders, well read the posts on this web site concerning Harleys.

Ride what you like and let others do the same. I like bikes, all of them. I like some bikes better than others but don't care what the other guy rides. I have noticed that everyone who owns a Harley doesn't have an attitude and everyone who has an attitude doesn't have a Harley.

I have no problem with what ever someone rides, it is just all the Venture needs to catch up comments that bother me. Other than FI which would be nice, but not necessary, HD is just now catching up to what the Venture has been all along.

If HD had the new framed Ultra with a V-rod engine back when I bought my RSV it might have been a different story. But they do not have that even now. I do not like air cooled engines and will not buy one.