IGNORED

Could you all Handle a Harley Rider?

Guest KitCarson

Guest KitCarson

Hey today is Friday........I was assured by the Yamaha folks that my Clutch Basket would be here this week......well we have about 8 hours left......I have been patient......quite so I think........even found me a new dealer who is quite nice.....but still he is dependent upon Yamaha. I am not sure what the deal is with this clutch basket.....whether they make a whole new one.....or blueprint one already made......hey do not care anymore.........I just want it fixed. My Basket full of Crickets completely quits at high speeds..say 65 in 4th and on up to 75 in 5th. Smooth as silk......Hey I do not ride that fast much.....only if wanting to go somewhere and I hit the interstate....normally I love the back roads......take a long lazy ride.....55 mph tops......do the speed limit......keep one eye on all the passing impatient cages. That is how I like to ride. At these speeds the whine is very high pitched and annoying.......

So today is the day of decision.......if they do not call me....I am done......the Venture is a nice bike.........but hey.........that screaming eagle down at the Harley shop is looking better and better........I may find myself going in just to look again today.....

So what do you all think........think you can handle an old school Harley Rider with a sense of humor? I am used to making head gaskets out of a Tide soap box.....but hear testing has been done and Fab boxes are much more tear resistant..........:stirthepot::stirthepot::sign20: Kit

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped by a HD dealer over in Yucca Valley, CA last Sunday while riding with a friend. They had a BEAUTIFUL white Utra Classic Screaming Eagle with lots of extras on it....it was the only bike in the store "without" a price tag on it.............hmmmmmmmmm.....wonder why..........guess they didn't want to give CPR to anyone that day. Have to say though.........it had me drooling.........good luck with your decision!!!!!

Why trade down? Not only will the Harley cost you a bunch more money to buy, let alone the Scream'in Eagle Harley, it will cost you from now on. I ride with several Harley owners and they have all been in and out of the shop since they have bought them for little piddly stuff.(like engine misses, $700 broken drive belt @9K miles, idle problems Ect...) I have had my RSV for over a year now and have 13,000 miles on it and it has not been back to the Service Dept. Gotta love that warrenty too! Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Hey Kit , Just rent one for the day during the M & E . Being Halloween just around the corner , wear the mask so nobody recognizes ya !

But like yamahama said , "AS LONG AS YOUR ON A SCOOT WE DON'T GIVA POOT ! " . .

Just get ya a bumper sticker on the back that says , "I work with SH*T all day , might as well ride like SH*T as I play ! " :rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot:

Just gets some wheels and make them squeal !

BEER30

Hey today is Friday........I was assured by the Yamaha folks that my Clutch Basket would be here this week......well we have about 8 hours left......I have been patient......quite so I think........even found me a new dealer who is quite nice.....but still he is dependent upon Yamaha. I am not sure what the deal is with this clutch basket.....whether they make a whole new one.....or blueprint one already made......hey do not care anymore.........I just want it fixed. My Basket full of Crickets completely quits at high speeds..say 65 in 4th and on up to 75 in 5th. Smooth as silk......Hey I do not ride that fast much.....only if wanting to go somewhere and I hit the interstate....normally I love the back roads......take a long lazy ride.....55 mph tops......do the speed limit......keep one eye on all the passing impatient cages. That is how I like to ride. At these speeds the whine is very high pitched and annoying.......

So today is the day of decision.......if they do not call me....I am done......the Venture is a nice bike.........but hey.........that screaming eagle down at the Harley shop is looking better and better........I may find myself going in just to look again today.....

So what do you all think........think you can handle an old school Harley Rider with a sense of humor? I am used to making head gaskets out of a Tide soap box.....but hear testing has been done and Fab boxes are much more tear resistant..........:stirthepot::stirthepot::sign20: Kit

You have to do what you feel you need to do. No matter what you will be welcome here. Heck, I might have an HD at some point in the future and I don't plan to go anywhere!:biker:

That is true. last September my buddy was hit on his then brand New 2007 Ulstr classic. Well it took him till March this year to get it back together partly because of dealer and the rest Harley and boy did it cost him! For that kind of inconvienience I would be more that happy to endure a little noise! Patience Young Jedi!

Why trade bikes if you aren't going anywhere. Of course, if you are going to buy a Harley it is nice to plan "not going anywhere" right up front. :)

I'm KIDDING of course. I know what you mean and we would come after you both if you tried to leave, regardless of what you ride.

AND...I'm kidding about the Harley "not going anywhere" also. There may eventually be one in my future also.

The dealer ordered a replacement for me the begining of April this year, they got it in last week and the replacement is scheduled for Nov 15. Don't ask me why it took so long. I'm thinking it's was because Yamaha had a hard time finding DEL RIO on the map so they didn't know where to ship it. LOL

I don't know the name of the rental store that rents Harleys but you can get a used Ultra (40 to 60k miles on them) 05 or 06 for around 16k if you really want a Harley.

If they made one a little bigger I would buy one in a heartbeat but I am 5 10 240 and it feels just way too small.. It rides good but as I say make it bigger I will buy. This isnt a joke,it is just too small for me. Tom

I have to admit that I have always loved the look of them Harleys. To me they are one of the best looking bikes on the road with what seems to be unlimited customization options.

That having been said...now here is why I do not currently own one.

First, wife hates the shake...when you are sitting at a light or when you first speed up and later slow down...the rear does vibrate. For me...not an issue as I hardly notice it. For her, who has had back surgery, it is a big deal. I could probably own one for my solo but I have some objections myself.

Second, and this is my biggest objection. It's a pay me now or pay me later senerio. I had a 2005 RSTD that screamed liked a cricket on steroids between 25 and 55 mph. Lovely bike, except for the wicked chirp. It took me two clutch basket swaps before it was eliminated. The total cost to me...nothing...other than droping the bike off and picking it up and leaving it for about 4 hours each time. My rear end (on the bike guys so no wisecracks) started squeaking...solution...take it in drop it off for another 1/2 day...problem solved...no cost...just time. 5 year warranty vs 1 right?

Third, and another biggie. I know that many have easily put 100,000 miles on their Ventures with simple routine maintenance, and many have put 200,000 on their's doing the same. How long does one drive a Harley before they have to start rebuilding the engine or replace key components?

I think what I am trying to say here is IF you find yourself a good dealer who will work with you to solve some of these common problems that can be fixed...yes you will be out some time, but hardly any money. Harleys are great bikes and they look super...but over time you will be out more time and alot more money.

Finally...go for it...which means go and get whatever you want...whatever is going to make YOU happy! Most of the riders here will support you no matter what, and that includes me.

If I can ever part with either my Wing or my Venture...I'm sure I'll get something else to satisfy my own craving for something different to ride and enjoy! I keep looking...but I love both bikes and have not found anything yet to take their place.

Good luck with YOUR decision...Later...

Kit, I have both as you can see by my signature and I sure do like em. This sport, hobby has enough dangers as it is. I consider you a friend, you don't stop being friends because you ride a different brand of bike.

Tell us what you do. Inquireing minds want to know. I would spend some time on a few Harley forums and you will find out that HD has their own bunch of quirks also.

end of the season for harley riders here in st. charles ,mo.if you get a harley there will be plenty of weekend warrior harley uniforms for sale.plus i happen to have one of those dumb looking worthless brain buckets with no lining thats brand new.i will give away.don't ask why i have it.has'nt even got all the fowl mouth decals on it yet.lol :rotf::rotfl::rotf::2133:

I have to admit that I have always loved the look of them Harleys. To me they are one of the best looking bikes on the road with what seems to be unlimited customization options.

That having been said...now here is why I do not currently own one.

Second, and this is my biggest objection. It's a pay me now or pay me later senerio. I had a 2005 RSTD that screamed liked a cricket on steroids between 25 and 55 mph. Lovely bike, except for the wicked chirp. It took me two clutch basket swaps before it was eliminated. The total cost to me...nothing...other than droping the bike off and picking it up and leaving it for about 4 hours each time. My rear end (on the bike guys so no wisecracks) started squeaking...solution...take it in drop it off for another 1/2 day...problem solved...no cost...just time. 5 year warranty vs 1 right?

Good luck with YOUR decision...Later...

I had to think hard about getting a Venture after reading all about the troubles with the noisy clutch basket. The 5 year warranty is what made my mind up. Really can't beat it.

What ever you ride you need to stay around here!!

As far as the Harley,, remember the brand new ones have several issues that need to be addressed even before you buy.. To meet EPA they have them running so lean the passenger seat is literally a hot seat. It will need to be re-mapped right away and it should get a better flowing exhaust. Technically this makes the bike illegal for street use. (technically any aftermarket pipe on any motorcycle makes it illegal) And even after you get is set up to run right, it is still an air cooled push rod engine.

If you just can handle the problems with you Venture another option is the BMW LT. I know it is a completely different style, but it is a sweet bike.

If you insist on a Harley, get a V-rod and do the road king conversion. http://www.partsmag.com/0501/0501-pdf/Project-v-Rod-0501.pdf

I had a wierd buzz in my basket that Yamaha would not warranty so I bought an I basket, waited a week and had local dealer call yamaha to see why it wasn't sent in fact it was now marked backordered. Yamaha said they required the vin# before releasing,finally got my basket and noise is gone. Just thought you may need to do the same to get a basket released.Ride Safe.

ill even let ya ride right beside me! that should keep me from running over your parts as they fall off!:stirthepot:

just kidding ya of coarse your still welcome :thumbsup2:

I had a wierd buzz in my basket that Yamaha would not warranty so I bought an I basket, waited a week and had local dealer call yamaha to see why it wasn't sent in fact it was now marked backordered. Yamaha said they required the vin# before releasing,finally got my basket and noise is gone. Just thought you may need to do the same to get a basket released.Ride Safe.

If they would'nt warranty it why wouldnt they ship a basket to you with out the VIN# sounds like the dealer was billing it as a warranty and charging you for the part I ride a Vstar and if i wanted to pay for a basket what would it matter if i had the right VIN for a 2nd gen. aint all the 2nd gen. baskets the same it sure sounds to me like you just got the shaft from your dealer:15_8_211[1]: