IGNORED

Could you all Handle a Harley Rider?

Guest KitCarson

I had a wierd buzz in my basket that Yamaha would not warranty so I bought an I basket, waited a week and had local dealer call yamaha to see why it wasn't sent in fact it was now marked backordered. Yamaha said they required the vin# before releasing,finally got my basket and noise is gone. Just thought you may need to do the same to get a basket released.Ride Safe.

If they would'nt warranty it why wouldnt they ship a basket to you with out the VIN# sounds like the dealer was billing it as a warranty and charging you for the part I ride a Vstar and if i wanted to pay for a basket what would it matter if i had the right VIN for a 2nd gen. aint all the 2nd gen. baskets the same it sure sounds to me like you just got the shaft from your dealer

Was this S & G power products on Hillside (otherwise referred by many as Screw & Gouge)??????

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KitCarson
What ever you ride you need to stay around here!!

As far as the Harley,, remember the brand new ones have several issues that need to be addressed even before you buy.. To meet EPA they have them running so lean the passenger seat is literally a hot seat. It will need to be re-mapped right away and it should get a better flowing exhaust. Technically this makes the bike illegal for street use. (technically any aftermarket pipe on any motorcycle makes it illegal) And even after you get is set up to run right, it is still an air cooled push rod engine.

If you just can handle the problems with you Venture another option is the BMW LT. I know it is a completely different style, but it is a sweet bike.

If you insist on a Harley, get a V-rod and do the road king conversion. http://www.partsmag.com/0501/0501-pdf/Project-v-Rod-0501.pdf

I like harleys.....and the friendly banter that may come from owning another, do not care about the EPA....I lives in South Carolina:sign20: My wife will have to ride the hot seat........might be a new diet product...like a sauna. and hey they now have ABS Brakes.......will explain this evening.....still have like three hours.........Oh yea I like the V-rod......but Sandy rides with me......it is a comfort thing now........I am no longer .......25...but hey......maybe own two........Take Care Kit

Guest KitCarson

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/pim/el/abook_add_1.gifAdd to Address Book http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/nt/ic/ut/bsc/txtmess12_1.gifAdd Mobile Alert To:kitcarsonplumbing@yahoo.com Subject: We want your pictures! Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 06:10:10 -0700

We want to put together a video presentation that will include your

photo. We are looking for photos that show people experiencing the

pleasures of owning a Yamaha. ATVs, Stars, YZFs, Waverunners, Rhinos,

YZs....it doesn't matter. It does not have to be an action shot, but it can

be. It does not have to include you, but it can. It does not have to

be anything special, as long as it shows something to do with a Yamaha

product. We ask that no other brands show in the photo.

Click

Here to send us your favorite photo in digital form. (You can email

them to parts@extremesportsyamaha.com if the link does not work.)

Hard copies of photos are accepted if you want to drop one off by the

store or you can mail it to:

Extreme Sports Yamaha

"Pictures"

405 W. Wesmark Blvd.

Sumter, SC 29150

Thanks for participating, and be sure to look for yourself when the

project is shown in our store!

HEY IT IS ABOUT 3 P.M. THIS IS ALL I HAVE GOTTEN.......DOES NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT ANY CLUTCH BASKET

NOPE NOT CALLING THEM AGAIN.....MIND IS MADE UP..WILL POST A GOOD UN THIS EVENING. KIT

Hey Kit

Good luck with your decision - don't quit this board though - I've really enjoyed your posts.

I too have hummed and hawed about this but decided that the bike is too good a ride to give up - yet! I did go for the Mustang seat - huge improvement in the ride - and am willing to put up with the screech for a while longer. I do believe I will start wearing ear plugs ANYWAY - so the noise should be lessened - been meaning to use plugs for some time.

Again - good luck deciding and it doesn't really matter what you ride as long as you do.

Cheers

Eugene

I like harleys.....and the friendly banter that may come from owning another, do not care about the EPA....I lives in South Carolina:sign20: My wife will have to ride the hot seat........might be a new diet product...like a sauna. and hey they now have ABS Brakes.......will explain this evening.....still have like three hours.........Oh yea I like the V-rod......but Sandy rides with me......it is a comfort thing now........I am no longer .......25...but hey......maybe own two........Take Care Kit

I'm betting with the road king conversion on the V-rod you could use an Electra Glide seat and tour pack to get the comfort level where you want it. I actually thought about it myself before buying the Venture. I just couldn't personally justify the extra cost.

Guest KitCarson

Okay......in maybe 10 days I will be a Harley Rider Again. No not going anywhere, the friendly banter will be enjoyed. See I like Harleys...but I am not a Harley type.....I am clean cut....well mannered......wear protective gear and above all believe in safety and presenting a good image to the public about motorcycles.......and I like to have fun. Venture or Honda riders are more my style people.....just like the Harley Bike.

I became aware of the Venture Three Years ago, I was in Florida and a friend bought one on the internet......sent me the final check....I picked it up for him and rode it home and delivered it to him. This one had no clutch whine, as a matter of fact I was totally unaware of clutch whine with these machines , all I knew is I wanted to try one. So I bought one also on line.......went up to Rock Hill and picked it up....I almost turned it around halfway home....too late....deed was done......lets find a solution.

I become aware of Ventureriders through some of my web searches , in looking for a solution to the clutch basket whine......learned all I could...got into messing around with oil.....even ordered and installed a different clutch basket...on our own......learned a lot......mainly not to leave out stuff talking to this bunch!!! I had done all I could do on my own......so I went hunting for dealers.....found a good one.....but again they are dependent upon Yamaha to back them up. It seems you cannot get a true I-basket, except from Yamaha......no no matter what someone tells you.....this is fact! Exactly what this is I do not know......different teeth....balance...what.....do not know, and they would not tell.

The dealer told me Kit we will change your clutch basket one time......this is what Yamaha requires us to do.....you have the choice to ride it and if you like it better okay.....if not we will re-install your old basket, it will be your choice. This is not the dealer....this is Yamaha telling the dealer what they will do. The dealer does not care one way or the other, they get paid for whatever. There was no other option discussed, this was it......if it did not work......Yamaha was not going to invest too much more time in making it work. So I agreed....we got the Vin number of the bike....contacted Yamaha and got the I-Basket ordered.....this was like 3 weeks ago. Last week I was told it would be here and resolved this week.......Wednesday I checked up on it.....dealer still waiting..........last night I made a decision..one phone call first thing......if not results....lets just move on.

So we are moving on....all that is left is for my wife to pick out the color, post it on here and get ready to have a little fun......Warning.....I can give as well as I get:rotfl::rotfl::sign20:

I do like the Venture some.......I absolutely love the 4 cylinder motor, its power and quick response, its wide power band......riding two up it has the power to piddle around town all day in 4th gear.......that easy take it easy cruising . It is a pretty bike......I like the pillow top seat....it has more leg room it fits. I like quite a lot about it.

What I do not like is that infernal Clutch Whine......I know some of you play it down......live with it.....mine is a high pitched one.....on a long afternoon ride after about 200 miles it gets to really bothering me.....I love the bubble of pipes.....the sound of a motor working like it should.......this whine over-rides all this......it is the tone of the whine.....the high pitch....some of you say you wear ear plugs.......do this or that.......Hey it can be resolved......and has been....why is Yamaha still putting them on the floors for sale with this know problem?

The other thing I have gotten used to , but do not like at all is this bike is top heavy.....I do not care what someone tries to tell me.....this thing is out of balance. All you have to do is get it past centerline to one side or the other sitting still about 5 inches and this boy is coming on over....I almost did that the second day I had it......got my pants leg hung up on the wire loop on the side stand.....I was already coming over to one side , had the handle bar pulled to the left......I ripped a pant leg clear out, I was not going to drop that bike!! This thing is quite top heavy......so this is another thing I do not like.

Now I do not understand Yamaha about this Clutch Basket Whine at all. And no I am not willing to run around town all day in third gear...just to avoid the noise.....I like to be a lazy rider most of the time...never in a hurry. Enjoy just being alive........not into what you have to do to cure the whine.......I love to let the torque of the motor do its thing and well....

I do not treat my customers like this.....I listen to them......I will call them.........even if they are in the wrong , I will go take care of it..shake their hand and smile.....that Kitchen sink faucet handle did not just jump off all by itself.....but I will fix it.......no charge....just a smile. So this is another thing I do not like about the Bike....Is Yamaha, Customer Service!!

So I have called Clearview,,,,,,,,canceled my windshield order....would have been this time next Christmas before I got it anyway. Canceled my new pipes I had been waiting on......and other things.

I like the Harleys.........have decided to go back to another one. Yes they are not perfect either...but they do not have that infernal clutch whine, they will melt your boot soles:rotf::rotf:.

The things I like about a Harley are .......they have plenty of power...they suit my lazy afternoon riding style.....just put-put along and listen to those pipe and the motor purr.....no whine!! They have improved the motors a lot.....no more making head gaskets out of soap boxes!

There center of balance is so much better......you can even get a little lazy about it....you have to get them quite a bit off center for one to come on over with you.

Now the big thing.....the one thing I am always yapping about . Safety. Yes I like the safety built into a Harley. Lights.....you get standard very good lighting, front and back...not some little tiny tail light and and a reflector.......you get good tail-lighting. The crash bars actually are strong enough and secure enough......if you keep your head and ride it down if you have to you can tuck up under it......yes one up.....two up.....just do not take chances lol!!

Next big safety item.......The new ones have ABS brakes.......one hopes one never needs them......but if you do....nice to know they are there and yours and the bikes capabilities.

The local harley dealer is a young man.....in his 30s . Building a good business.....will get good service......I like that too.

All that is left......is pick out the color.........we will over the weekend....I have had it with Yamaha........no no debate......I am easy going and love to joke and have fun......will take a lot........I think I have taken sufficient nonsense from Yamaha.....hey know what......I still have the cardboard tag on the back......the original dealer I bought from has not even sent me my tag....I suppose I must get on the horn Monday about that issue....they cannot even do that.

Well enough of all that..........end of one story.....another to begin next week sometime. Now all of you will have a true Harley Rider in your midst....will be more fun than the 1st and 2nd gen stuff. Take Care Kit

Our last big Harley was a 1998 FLTRI. We loved it, not a bit of trouble, comfortable for both of us, and we would do it again. Trouble is they no longer make the bike we loved. It's been supposidly enlarged and improved twice. Both enlargements and improvements have had their share of troubles. The previous improved had baring problems and the newest latest greatest have severe overheating problems. HD expects the owners to acknowledge these faults and correct them themselves with remaping, pipes, etc. Not going to happen from these buyers of new. So for 2008 and maybe 2009 HD is out of our buying considerations. In our opinions sometimes change is not good; Sometimes bigger is not better. Speaking for the wife and I.

Okay......in maybe 10 days I will be a Harley Rider Again. No not going anywhere, the friendly banter will be enjoyed.

Congraulations...and get the camera ready for some pictures to post.

Later...

Guest KitCarson
Our last big Harley was a 1998 FLTRI. We loved it, not a bit of trouble, comfortable for both of us, and we would do it again. Trouble is they no longer make the bike we loved. It's been supposidly enlarged and improved twice. Both enlargements and improvements have had their share of troubles. The previous improved had baring problems and the newest latest greatest have severe overheating problems. HD expects the owners to acknowledge these faults and correct them themselves with remaping, pipes, etc. Not going to happen from these buyers of new. So for 2008 and maybe 2009 HD is out of our buying considerations. In our opinions sometimes change is not good; Sometimes bigger is not better. Speaking for the wife and I.

Yes they get hot......well aware of that......but look on the bright side...you can lay your hotdog on the heads and warm it up.......I need to behave....mean no disrespect......just could not resist. Kit

Why trade for another whiner? I rode with a friend he had a RK. Heard a different kind of whine, it took a few minutes to noticed it was his HD that was whineing louder than my Venture. I have several friend who have new HD's and they whine more than my Venture and cost a heck of alot more. And HD won't fix their whine either.

rwq47

I am thinking if you like what you ride, then you are riding the right bike. Buy what makes you happy. When I bought my 1996 Royal Star, there was a terrible whine but it went away after the divorce. I have a 2006 RSV and a new wife now and no whine. Life is good.

Guest KitCarson
You know after all this, you could just trade in on a new Venture, odds are it wouldn't have the whine, and if it did it would be covered under warranty. :225:
Hi Al: Well there are other things I do not like about the Venture also.....when I add them all up.....I suppose I have been working hard to convince myself I did like it. It has some great points....and one very great powerplant. The one other main thing I do not like about it is although I have rode a lot of bikes......this one is just plain unbalanced. It is something you have to think about all the time...concentrate on not getting much past center line at a stop.....or when your passenger is climbing on like a little squirrel. (I am just teasing Sandy she is so little she cannot swing her leg over the seat, has to climb on!!) I can relax on some other bikes.......not even think about that....you have to get them past centerline quite a bit to bring that factor into play....boy this Venture Bemouth.......it will come over on you in a heart beat. As for the warranty....hey in my experience so far it is worthless. Yes it has a five year warranty.....the best in the industry.....but in my considered opinon.....totally worthless.

The powersports shop I purchased the Venture from in Rock Hill did not ever contact me back....I called them....I sent them an email.......not a peep. In fact my cardboard temp tag is still on the bike...it expires 11-5-07. I will have to Monday call them again....see what the deal is with that.....they cannot even follow up on that and get my tag to me.

The shop I went to in Sumter for my clutch basket issue....yes that is a bunch of nice people.....but they are dependent upon what Yamaha will help them with........they told me they would change my clutch basket one time.......and one time only......if I did not like the sound of the new basket, they would re-install my old one.....if i still had a problem......that was just it......it would be my problem.

I got this little card in the mail........24 hour.....nation wide roadside service it says........but the catch is it is for a maximum of $50. 00 that they pay to what ever service might be available. This is not much payment for someone to come and haul you into the nearest shop. I run a business......gas would cost that much most likely. And if you have ever used a roadside service like this...your bike or car is always broke on Sunday! or late in the evening.......never at a convienient time....so when you call....you get an operator.....who then tries to place you in line to be helped....you might have a long wait.......I tried it with a car once with a dead battery....took like 7 hours to get assistance....so it sounds good , but is not......solution........if going on a cross country trip......write down some phone numbers of folks on this site.......they will actually come help you........try to give them a 100 bucks......they will just get offended.

No it is my experience......in the real life world.....the Yamaha warranty is not worth the paper it is written on........

But hey.....that is life....just something I have accepted.....no hard feelings....just explaining is all......besides those Harley pipes sound so good.:stirthepot::sign20: Kit

Which brings me to something....all of you........going through South Carolina.....Columbia.....midlands......stuck in Charleston beside the interstate........give me a call......I will come rescue you.

Guest KitCarson
Then how the heck did you get into THIS site?? I thought we had better standards than that.:big-grin-emoticon:
I told you once. you need to watch out for those tigers.:sign20: Kit

Kit......I joined here to find out more information about the venture as a possiblity for a new bike to replace my voyager. I have read lots of good about the venture and as well as some of the bad things. I went to the harley web site looking at a bike for my brother and then I seen it a flhx(street glide), I liked it so I went to the harley dealer and there was a nice black one there now I want it. The price isn't much different than the venture yes I understand that the venture has more options but I still like the harley. If things were different I would have bought it right there and took it home but I need to wait a little bit. I still haven't give up on the venture as a possibilty of the new bike but I like the harley.

Guest KitCarson
Kit......I joined here to find out more information about the venture as a possiblity for a new bike to replace my voyager. I have read lots of good about the venture and as well as some of the bad things. I went to the harley web site looking at a bike for my brother and then I seen it a flhx(street glide), I liked it so I went to the harley dealer and there was a nice black one there now I want it. The price isn't much different than the venture yes I understand that the venture has more options but I still like the harley. If things were different I would have bought it right there and took it home but I need to wait a little bit. I still haven't give up on the venture as a possibilty of the new bike but I like the harley.

Yes that is why I joined the crew....have not been a member long.....but as a great by product of this ......the folks on here are pretty unique......just plain fun and good people. This world wide club is somehow.......different...you will not find this attitude in a lot of them.......in fact I have found it nowhere.

I suspect a couple of them will try to talk me into keeping Crickett this morning.....I will attentively listen.....I am not the worlds expert on anything......but will not accept the idea to wear ear plugs!!! I am loyal to people..friends......not at all loyal to any man made machine.......they are all just toys... that is why i do not mind the banter and fun of owning a Harley....yes you have to fix them some.....but lately.hey.....seems they have passed the main test.....turn the key and they will go.

....I do like the Harley better.......fear I made a mistake with the Venture.......and the sorry thing is they (Yamaha) could have had one hell of a field rep for their machine , I would have kept it.......if they had just laid out a little effort.....jumped on it and took care of it. As it is ....if they call me today........well that is just how it turned out.

Two honest things I will tell you about the Harley.....at least for me. One is comfort from stock.......the Harley stock rider seat is deplorable.....it is uncomffy..........slick.....plain........leather is faded.....not bright and soft . so you usually have the extra expense of finding a seat the fits.......The ventures seats are the best in the industry stock.....look nice....pillow top and have deep black color...........the other is the Harley exhaust will melt your boots off.......the chrome exhaust shields on the pipes to not have any air space under them.......and at about 12-15 thousand.....they turn blue in places...........you can listen to all the reasons you want to listen to and get 12 reasons.......hey they still turn blue!!!

But riding two up.......the center of balance.......you cannot beat a Harley , they have the market cornered on that one. The newer ones now have ABS brakes.......their are pros and cons for all this........a hundred different opinions on that........personally.....that was the selling point to me......the final good thing.......we all hope we would never need to depend on this kind of set up.......we ride as careful as we can......I try to learn something every day.......give myself a talking to when I catch myself becoming complacent........and some things are just that.....things.....unavoidable.....just your time....but nice to know....if need be....I have a shot at it. I talked with the fellows about this new gadget for the Venture bikes......I cannot deny it will improve the braking:thumbsup:.....yes it will......and for the machines that are in existence will be a great help........but I have been there in a serious emergency braking sitiation.....fear is in your throat.......everything gos into slow motion....you can remember every little detail........the bottom line is that gadget will still lock up in an emergency situation.........as humans we stomp on that rear brake.......it is instinct.....all of us for whatever reason do not fully utilize the front brakes.......why........just is is all........but that was the final point for me. Kit

Well my friend, I will NOT try to talk you into keeping the Venture. You see, this club is about the bike but even more so, it is about the people. The bike may have brought you here but hopefully it is the friendships that will keep you here regardless of what bike you end up with down the road.

You won't find many people here who would choose the Harley over the Venture but you will find a LOT of folks here who will tell you to buy and ride the bike that brings you the most joy. We are all different in what we are looking for in a machine. They all have their positives and negatives and the fact is, some folks are willing to deal with one thing more than another. There are folks here who have some whining or chirping noises but not to the level of making them want to get rid of the bike. There are others, like you, who feel that they can deal with a bike that may be very hot to ride or may be a bit more cramped than the RSV better than they can deal with the chirping and etc. We are all different.

The bottom line is, I just hope that you are happy with whatever decision that you make and then like it or not, you are STILL one of us. :)

Don, you have a way with words - very well stated.

Kit, you are right - these are "toys" - machines we enjoy. I have had two Harley's in the past - and this last time came ever so close to buying the Glide. My mind had been made up, had found an excellent HD dealership/salesperson. I was leaving the IMS show in 2005, the last booth was Yamah/Star - sat on the Strat - and thought it was a cool looking - different bike. Went to the local STAR dealer - picked up the RSTD - mainly at the time for monetary reasons. My thinking was that for 17K, I would have bought the Harley vs. the Strat., but got my TD for 12K and that was big at that time. I have enjoyed my bike - but sometimes wonder if ........?

We do all JOKE around here - 1st Gen vs. 2nd Gen vs. Harley, etc., but at the end of the day, here it is the people - not the machine - that makes this club. Enjoy your new ride, and remember, you are part of the family here and you are going to have to post the new pictures (and the name of the bike - hee hee) !!!!!:080402gudl_prv:

hey kit,you know we can't let you off easy.enjoy the harley.i just defected to a v-star but i won't let them run me off.all bikes got their little quirks.why i don't under stand? harley's are about the most well finished bikes out there.there are bad biker types on all makes.even some of the bad biker types are good guys.i'll ride with you anytime.just let me know when ,so i can follow you with a parts trailer.:rotf: :rotf:.it's a joke just kidding.bill :)

Well, as i read you're Statement about cruising around in low RpM. This is exactly the Image i personally made up about you. You lugging the Engine.

If you wanted to keep the Venture, i seriously would talk you into an Vmax final Drive. Most of your Problem is about revving the Engine to a Point where it likes to run. This Point is not between 2k and 3.5 k. It starts to run good at 3k and runs up to 7.5k ....

But you decided to go back to the V2, so i keep my Mouth shut.

Guest KitCarson
Well, as i read you're Statement about cruising around in low RpM. This is exactly the Image i personally made up about you. You lugging the Engine.

If you wanted to keep the Venture, i seriously would talk you into an Vmax final Drive. Most of your Problem is about revving the Engine to a Point where it likes to run. This Point is not between 2k and 3.5 k. It starts to run good at 3k and runs up to 7.5k ....

But you decided to go back to the V2, so i keep my Mouth shut.

Hey, you would have to be there to know the situation...yes I like to cruise the secondary back roads......long lazy rides......love to just stay in fourth gear.....the bike has the torque to do this........does not lug the engine a bit........this whine is a good un!!!! But hey you will read my new post......things have changed. And hey do not be bashful.....I certainly do not keep my mouth shut:sign20::sign20:

Guest KitCarson
hey kit,you know we can't let you off easy.enjoy the harley.i just defected to a v-star but i won't let them run me off.all bikes got their little quirks.why i don't under stand? harley's are about the most well finished bikes out there.there are bad biker types on all makes.even some of the bad biker types are good guys.i'll ride with you anytime.just let me know when ,so i can follow you with a parts trailer.:rotf: :rotf:.it's a joke just kidding.bill :)

Hey keep that parts trailer ready for the first Gens......I am going to try a new tactic........but your trailer can be put to good use I am sure:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Kit

Hey, you would have to be there to know the situation...yes I like to cruise the secondary back roads......long lazy rides......love to just stay in fourth gear.....the bike has the torque to do this........does not lug the engine a bit........this whine is a good un!!!! But hey you will read my new post......things have changed. And hey do not be bashful.....I certainly do not keep my mouth shut:sign20::sign20:

I also can't be quiet ... :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Bashfull ?? No, not me ....

I'm just sad about you're former Decision. These Bikes are really great, they may not be perfect, maybe your Bike has a real Problem. But giving up on an Issue, before they even did change the Basket is, imho, a too early Decision and not thought through to the End.

Sure, you're not lugging the Engine ... nobody does it ... :rotf::rotf::rotf:

4th Gear on Backroads ?? This is like 5th Gear on my 1Gen, way to high Gear for the this Purpose on 50 or 60 mph. Ride it in 3rd Gear and Cricket will give you a whole new Feeling. There is enough Torque to ride it in 4th Gear ?? Sure, but, you know what, there a LOT of more Torque present when you do not Ride the Bike on Idle. :rotf:Get yourself a used Vmax final Drive, it should be around 100 to 150 Bucks, mount it and marvel at it. Period

If not, resell it and i owe you a Bottle black labeled Jack Daniels ...

Ok, no Speedo present for the Test Ride, but i'm sure you can handle this.

hey kit ,you are now officially one of us.you have passed the take all the crap we can throw at you test.i think all the crap has been throwed that is possible.i can't think of anymore unless i get nasty.soooo bring that hardley to my arkansas meet next year ,and we will ride with you if you will let us. and don't forget the pics.remember black is fastest. bill:clap2::clap2::2133: