IGNORED

Motorcyclist hits motorcyclist

slick97spirit

You know we're always talking about how horrible it is for cagers to drive inattentively and hit a motorcycle.

Well, this w/e in Illinois there was a biker killed on I-57. From what I understand (tv news) there were several bikers riding on the interstate. The lead biker slowed due to an emergency vehicle on the side of the road. Apparently the bikers toward the rear were not paying attention and struck the bikers in front of them. One killed, two severly injured.

It's not always the cagers, there are rules of the road to follow when riding with other bikes too.

Prayers out to them and their families.

Same thing happen here locally. Last night a Crotch Rocket, with a 19 year old at the helm, hit another bike and died from the injuries. It was on a stretch of road that was known for a lot of MC street racing. Stupid is as stupid does....

For whatever reason the crotch-rocket crowd around these parts like to run in tight packs....It keeps the Ambulance Crews busy as all get out.:yikes:

Boomer....who sez even Forest Gump would not ride stupid like that.....and neither do the pygmies.:p

I have noticed that there are a lot of bikers that will use a lot of engine braking to slow down. By doing that you never flash the brake light to warn the vehical behind you that you are slowing. This is especially bad on the highway where there is a good chance the the one behind you is on cruise. I ALWAYS at least drag the brake a little while slowing just to turn on the brake lights.

The story said the lead bike slowed, but did he give any warning to the others behind him that he was slowing?

I have noticed that there are a lot of bikers that will use a lot of engine braking to slow down. By doing that you never flash the brake light to warn the vehical behind you that you are slowing. This is especially bad on the highway where there is a good chance the the one behind you is on cruise. I ALWAYS at least drag the brake a little while slowing just to turn on the brake lights.

The story said the lead bike slowed, but did he give any warning to the others behind him that he was slowing?

Very true have seen this quite often!

Crotch rockets do this, a few months ago (say, last October or so) there was a story about a group of 50-100 harleys that did the same thing. If I recall correctly there was a similar incident at our very own International rally last year... It all comes down to maintaining a safe riding distance at all times, driver awareness of surroudings which includes other bikes, etc. Just because you are on a bike and staggared doesn't mean you can ride right up your neigbor's tailpipe and be safe.

I just hope that when everyone sees stuff like this they realize that we can ALL learn from these incidents and thereby [hopefully] reduce the risk of it happening to us.

I know I like to read these kinds of stories and try to understand the what went wrong and why it went wrong to try to give me some ideas on how to improve my own

Right on.

I have gotten myself in the habit of squeezing the brakes enough to flash the brake lights a few times before I actually start braking - ESPECIALLY if there is someone behind me following closer than I am comfortable with. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I'd like to think that it does. The flashing is an effort to get the attention of the person behind, just in case they don't realize the brake lights are ON or not...

Regardless, thoughts and prayers go out to them and their families.

Edited by LilBeaver

When I ride in groups it is understood that :

1. A motorcycle owns the entire lane that they are in. Only exception is when they are at a complete stop. This allows the person behind them to come up alongside(and gabe).

2. The the 0ne thouand one, 0ne thouand two, 0ne thouand three rule applys at all times for following distances. If a car gets in between you and the other bikers, the people up front simply slow down. They will pull out and pass.

3. Some cagers think its fun to ride in the passing lane and stay in the middle of the group effectively blocking the group in. The group in front get in passing lane and the last man slows down allowing people in right lane to pass and get over in front of him. He effectively brings up the rear.

4. Absolutely no stops on side of the road unless its an emergency. Stop at a gas station where you can kill two birds with one stone.

5. People in front should flash their brake lights two or three times in quick repitition to get the people behind them attention.

6. I personally always get on one one side or the other and look in my mirrors while at a stop so I can bug out if I determine the people behind me aren't going to stop in time. I've seen wy to many people getting run over by inattentive drivers...

I would post my most recent incident. Happened last friday morning on the way to work. Approach an intersection the same one I go through every day. There are two side streets that have stop signs, but not adjacent to one another. Well I'm on the right away lane with no stop sign, and the idiot in front of me decides to make an abrupt stop to let an eighteen wheeler come out of the one side street. I was paying attention and was down on the brakes and downshifting quickly and wasn't anticipating for this to happen, I mean we have no stop sign. I always keep a distance in front for a quick escape if needed. Well the guy behind me isn't expecting the stop either ,so he is locking up the brakes to keep from hitting me. He does get stopped. So I kindly look back and give him the ok, sort of thanking him for not crushing me between him and the knucklehead in front of me. So I beep the horn two quick times to let the guy in front know that I didn't care for his roadway generosity. Well next thing I know he puts his pick up in reverse to act as though he is going to back into me, then takes off forward in a cloud of smoke,(diesel truck). So I take off normally and go about 800 ft. and he slows down for me to catch up then smokes me again, now I'm pissed off. So I figure if he is stopped at the next light I'm putting the side stand down and go up to his window to have a little chat. He's lucky because when we get to the light it's changing from red to green. He takes the side street and I take main street. So I go down to the nearest conveinence store and call the State Police because this idiot doesn't think that I'm setting behind him remembering his license number. Don't know if they would do anything, but people like this should learn some driving safety issues. I told the trooper on the phone, that just because I choose to ride a bike, and I know the risks, which we all do, that doesn't mean people like that have to make it more dangerous. I will be looking for that truck around town in the future. Sorry for the long post, but I guess it's somewhat related to the original post. I have considered after this incident to just give up riding altogether, lifes to short to be putting up with idiots like that, guys be carefull out there.....

Thanks, Capt. Joe. A few years ago I might have done things differently, but being older and more patient I guess a loser like that wasn't worth my time so hopefully the authorities will pay him a visit and school him about us motorcyclists. If my wife or other family member would have been with me a different outcome most likely would have transpired. While on my way to work and throughout the day I've given this situation some thought, and it amazes me that alot of folks don't care or stop to think that hey, that may be someones husband, father, grandfather or other, their only worried about who they are and where they need to be. What a shame this so called society has become over the years. My wife calls it the ME SOCIETY and I couldn't agree more. As I said in my earlier post, guys/gals be carefull out there.