IGNORED

Camp Fuel V/S Sea-Foam???

Yammer Dan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never thought of that Squeeze. Good Idea!! I'm getting ready to buy one of the Ultra-Sonic cleaners big enough to dip one carb at a time. I'll try it in it maybe.

Geeze Dan, If you value your life don't put any volital solvent in an ultrasonic cleaner.

I'm staying away from yous guys . Either your all too expensive for me or ya want to Blow me up !

Warning for yous guys whom use Naptha .....wash your hands real GOOD before you go to the restroom. If you don't , you will learn a new dance real quickly ! :dancefool:

Seafoam is not relatively expensive here where I am. I use at least 2 cans of it a year like FreeBird , but I ride year round. When I travel , I always carry a can of it with me just in case I get some watered down gas from some Jack-legged gas station. I generally dump 2 cans inside my boats fuel tank , as it has an 80 gal capacity and it's real humid here in NC . As far as a cleaner, I don't break my stuff as often as yous guys do :rasberry: .

BEER30

Something which has been in use among boaters here for at least 70 years is methyl hydrate as a fuel stabilizer and water remover. It is very cheap and can be found in most boating supply stores. I have used it and found it effective.

• 1 month later...

Bring this back up this is what I mixed up.

1 Camp Fuel (Coleman) Don't know which is best one

2 Marvel Mystery oil. Thats the lube

3. Berrman's Chem Tech. It was on the shelf...

4 Don't use Isopropyl Alcohol. ( this stuff off the shelf is 50 % water now)

After playing with this a while I found the Alcohol will not mix with others so I removed it .

Percentages of each unknown even to me but it seems to work good. I feel the Marvel Mystery oil will keep the other things from being too harsh on things I don't want disolved.

Still come up a lot cheaper than Sea-foam. This was less than 20 bucks a gallon. I bought a Gallon of Sea-Foam this year any way at 52 bucks a gallon. Got a "What?" from Warden on that one.

Edited by Yammer Dan

Well If you are using a gallon a year @ 52 a gallon you must be using this stuff anything that looks like it takes gas. this is a product that is awesome and I use is a couple times a year about 4 oz to a tank on the RSTD so 1 can last me a season for all my gos operated equipment. Not worth it to me to have more flammables than I need sitting around. Why reinevent the wheel? Of course it is Yammer Dan that should say enough!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe I would take a chance on my motorcycle by using something that MIGHT hurt the bike. But then again that's just me. I buy a can for $6.50 at TSC and go through about 4 cans a year. I figure it is worth it. Bikes only need about 3 oz's per tank about 1 time a month to keep things clean? Well at least that seems to work for me and I ride about 30,000 miles a year

My cost on these ingredients

Sea_Foam about $52.00 a gallon

Marvel Mystery Oil little less than 4 bucks a quart.

Camp Fuel about 8 bucks a Gallon

BerryMan's Chem Tech 3 bucks 12 oz can.

Sea-Foam is a great product and I know all about the cost of oil. But If I can come up with something that will do the job cheaper I will quit being a spokesman for them.

My biggest fear was using something that would be too harsh on the seals and rubber pieces in the carbs.

I don't believe I would take a chance on my motorcycle by using something that MIGHT hurt the bike. But then again that's just me. I buy a can for $6.50 at TSC and go through about 4 cans a year. I figure it is worth it. Bikes only need about 3 oz's per tank about 1 time a month to keep things clean? Well at least that seems to work for me and I ride about 30,000 miles a year

I do a lot of things that could have ill effects. Running a 1st Gen at 115 MPH with only a front brake trying to catch a 2nd gen that snuck up on me. But I can't blame it on the carbs!!:whistling: TCI on that piece of junk maybe....

If you add Isopropyl make sure you get pure, rubbing alcohol has soap or other fillers in it.

Dan,

You might want to try Ethyl alcohol, drugstores sell it, but it is not as common as Isopropyl alcohol. It is much purer than Iso.

It will plainly say Ethyl on the label.

Gary

• 5 months later...
I would use 1/2 & 1/2 for a good cleaning. Other than that couple ounces per tank.

Sorry for not understanding but do you mean a half a tank of gas and a half of camp fuel? I would think you mean a few ounces to the tank otherwise.

Am I missing something here. Why is all the talk about adding a fuel conditioner to the fuel. I have a 2008 venture and have never had to treat the fuel system as of yet with no problems. Is there something about the venture carbs that I am missing that they need to have the treatment added to the fuel system all the time? I feel as though I am missing something in this area and would appreciate someone setting me straight on this matter. I for the life of me can not understand what is the problem?? It is interesting reading all the articles concerning this subject to the point that people are making their own mixtures. I got to be missing something. :doh::witch_brew:thanks in advance. DanC

I would be careful adding a lot of camp fuel to the gas. The camp fuel has less BTUs per gallon and much lower octane. It means that you will have less power so you will get harder on the throttle and then the reduced octane will want to knock holes in the pistons.

I have done a lot of testing with camp fuel in gas engines.

An engine will run fine on camp fuel if it is tuned for it, typically reduced compression, and/or retarded timing, and it needs to be a little richer.