IGNORED

Starcom Headsets

Freebird

It is about time that I have to think about replacing our headsets. I've been using AirRiders for several years now and though they are OK, they are no better than a basic or mid level J&M headset. So, I started looking and trying to decide what to replace them with.

I have seen several people mention the Starcom headsets and was thinking about giving them a try. I have to say though, they may be a good headset but the company is not easy to deal with. They don't seem to know their products very well.

The first thing I did was contact them to find out if they have dealers in the USA for their standalone headsets. They sent me a list of dealers and websites and the vast majority of the sites were invalide (page not found) or going to the sites that did work did NOT list the stand alone headsets.

I let them know about that and then they told me that they DO sell direct from the UK but that they don't make a standalone headset for the Venture, only for the Goldwing. Now the last time I checked, the Goldwing and Venture use the same headsets and cables. That may have changed with the 1800 Wing, I'm not sure about that.

I emailed them back and told them that they were probably turning away business by not knowing that the Venture would use the same headsets as the Goldwing. The response was that I should contact sales@starcom1.com to suggest the development of a new product. :confused24: NEW PRODUCT??? They HAVE a product and don't know it. That is what I was trying to tell them.

Bottom line, they just don't seem to know the application of their own products and I'm tired of going in circles with them. Will probably go back to J&M this time.

OH...and one of the initial emails told me that they have worked with clubs to offer discounts. When I emailed back asking about the discount for clubs, I never got a reply.

Just an update on Starcom. I got an email from them this morning with an apology that "my emails were misunderstood". They sent a new dealer list and also information that their Goldwing headsets Part number GH-004 / GH-006 are 5 pin headsets. From my past experiences, those should also work with the Venture.

Also, they do offer a 10% discount to club members. They require a membership number when you order. We do not really use membership numbers here but if you need one, they would basically the number shown in the URL address bar if you click on your name in the members list.

For example, if I go to the members list and click on my username, the URL that shows up is:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/member.php?u=1

The number following the "U" would be your membership number. In my case, 1.

I have decided to give Edsets a try this time but am not trying to discourage anybody who may want to try the Starcom units.