IGNORED

First LONG ride on my Venture

I just got back tonight after a 6 day 3260 mile ride to see the Grand Canyon and do a little Route 66 riding. As most of you probably already know...it has been HOT. Most days the temps on the trip were near 100 degrees or HIGHER. On Tuesday in Tucumcari...the temperature in the SHADE was 110 degrees. The day before we left Flagstaff at 6am and the temp was 38 degrees...by 1pm that afternoon we were in Needles, CA with the temp at 108 degrees.

I got heat exhaustion twice...one time was pretty scary for me. Proper hydration is the key (and common sense)...I just assumed the hydration was for everyone but me.

OK...enough about me. The bike performed flawlessly, had PLENTY of power for some of those mountainous climbs, and other than getting "squirelly" on some of the interstate roads in Oklahoma City (their ROADS SUCK!!!)...I was very happy with how the bike did.

But I do have a complaint and also a question. The complaint (an age old complaint)...is the heat coming off the bike. To be honest I never really "noticed" until today and that's because after 3000 miles of wearing boots...I slipped on my dockers for the final 260 miles...and the heat was tremendous down there. But more than that, I also have a thermometer mounted near the turn signal switch and ALL DAY it read 110-120 degrees. No wonder I was getting heat exhaustion.

Now the question...several times after riding for awhile when I was coming to a stop...the front would WOBBLE. When this happened the bike was barely moving...at highway speeds (and faster)...the bike was smooth as butter. So what could cause this VERY SLOW SPEED WOBBLE?

OH...and the Flagstaff, AZ forest fires that are burning out of control...right behind (well a few miles)...our motel. THAT THING IS HUGE...smoke everywhere and we could see it from the Grand Canyon (80 miles away).

Thanks.

Wally

Now the question...several times after riding for awhile when I was coming to a stop...the front would WOBBLE. When this happened the bike was barely moving...at highway speeds (and faster)...the bike was smooth as butter. So what could cause this VERY SLOW SPEED WOBBLE?

I'm guessing the OEM tire. The 404's are crap, IMO. Seem to cup pretty good after not too many miles, especially if tire pressure has not been maintained at 40lbls. Just my guess. :2cents:

If you were applying the brakes while coming to the stop, your rotors or steering bearings are suspect. It could be tires if you don't maintain air pressure. Dunlop D404 tires are great tires for me and I have used them for most of the 130,000 miles I have on my 02'. If you think your bike is hot, try a Harley.

:farmer:

I'm guessing the OEM tire. The 404's are crap, IMO. Seem to cup pretty good after not too many miles, especially if tire pressure has not been maintained at 40lbls. Just my guess. :2cents:

Also look for "steering head bearing adjustment" type threads in the tech forum. Very simple adjustment if done in the abreviated way. Otherwise, I'd agree with Wanderer regarding tires.

Lets see if we can help you spend some of your money!

Vented windshield sure goes a long way get air moving, even if its hot air. Also you can get lower vent thingys (dang I cant remember the name) that mount on your crash bar, they are great for moving air around the feet.

I wobble like a weeble at that last few feet as well if I use my front brake...always have with any of my bikes. Must be that cause if I use just the rear one for the last bit I glide nice and smooth to a stop...well sort of.

i got 12,000 plus miles off of my original 404's with no wobble unless i took my hands off the bars and poked at the end of the bars which would induce a low speed wobble...even with the new e3's on,...and tightening the steering nut, it still does a hands off, induced wobble..i've never had a wobble that started on its own

i too noticed the heat of the bike last week but i was also out in Az. and NM...the one day we left kingman, went to lake havusa, then across central Az. to sedona and the temp was 100.and i gotta say that the air temp was worse than the heat from the bike....but still not as bad as a harley......i've never really noticed it here , riding in Pa.

AND...did you stay a night at the Holiday Inn express in Moriarty, NM.......i think i saw your bike...and you,, leaving in the morning.....

Lets see if we can help you spend some of your money!

Vented windshield sure goes a long way get air moving, even if its hot air. Also you can get lower vent thingys (dang I cant remember the name) that mount on your crash bar, they are great for moving air around the feet.

I wobble like a weeble at that last few feet as well if I use my front brake...always have with any of my bikes. Must be that cause if I use just the rear one for the last bit I glide nice and smooth to a stop...well sort of.

Rick is SPOT ON...

Vented Windshield to move air around your chest and into your jacket vents (Tourmaster Transition Series-2) has GREAT Venting and Airflow System not to mention Textile & Hardened Pads to protect for the slide.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k249/frogmaster_2006/DSC01436.jpg

Next is "Air Wings" Pricey? YEP and worth every penny IMHO. On Cooler days adjust outward to create a Heat Pocket. Normal Days adjust straight. Hot Daze adjust them inward to scoop the air in between your leg and the Engine to exhaust the HEAT. WORKS FANTASTIC. Also added the JC Whitney Foot Peg to get Air up my Protective Pant Legs and ride with little to no clothing under M/C Pants, Textile & Hardened Pads to protect for the slide.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k249/frogmaster_2006/DSC01435.jpg

One day back in 2003 Afghanistan Camping trip drank 12 each 20 oz Water bottles in 120+ degrees then peed once just 6 oz. WATER WATER WATER :225:

Thanks for saving me Charlie! I couldnt spit out airwings if my life depended on it! They do work great...and pop right off if you fall over! Dont ask but I didnt break it when I went over and rolled my fat butt into the ditch.lol

I checked the temp here on Sunday (in north GA) when the ambient air temp read 92 in the sun. About 85 in the shade. The humidity level was about 70%, making the official heat index about 109. But the actual temp at 4pm coming off the road (GA400) was just a shade under 150! Couple that with the heat coming off your engine, and you can easily see why everything from your boots to your belt is just burning up.

The only way to combat this is massive quantities of water, especially 24 hours before you head out, light protective clothing, and frequent stops. Ice water or anything really cold to your head, neck and wrists when you stop will also dramatically lower your overall body temp.

Let's be safe out there! :225:

Sounds like a nice short trip =) I just finished one a few weeks ago when buddy and I did 7500 miles from Canada to Key West and around to Dallas and meandering backup inside of two weeks.. ;) slab riding the whole time and yes, geesus does it ever get hot.

We left here in 50'F weather and soon hit the 95'F weather for most of the trip until we got back into Maine.. and I got on the verge of heat stroke all of a sudden on the highway, came on like gang busters but I recognized it for what it was and got off the road quickly and bailed from the bike into the shade.. took almost an hour to recover.. the high heat and desiccating winds were a killer in MAY, I can only imagine what they are like now.

It wasn't until I got back and mentioned it to a fellow instructor that she showed me her "Hydration Vest" made by cough cough the people at HD.. Surprisingly enough, you soak this vest in water and it holds the water for several hours, evaporating as you go along, keeping you cooled off by a huge amount. Its not like you're gonna get soaked by it but she mentioned that where your pants sits against the vest in a sitting position will get wet.. however, a small tradeoff for a huge cooling benefit. Vest cost about $40 - $60 where ever you find HD stuff online.. more expensive in the shops I would guess. I'll try one soon to see how it works. But it's only good for 50 applications.. small investment for a few years of heat riding no? When the vest is dry, it's another layer under your clothes at any other time..

Just a thought.

Rick is SPOT ON...

Vented Windshield to move air around your chest and into your jacket vents (Tourmaster Transition Series-2) has GREAT Venting and Airflow System not to mention Textile & Hardened Pads to protect for the slide.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k249/frogmaster_2006/DSC01436.jpg

Next is "Air Wings" Pricey? YEP and worth every penny IMHO. On Cooler days adjust outward to create a Heat Pocket. Normal Days adjust straight. Hot Daze adjust them inward to scoop the air in between your leg and the Engine to exhaust the HEAT. WORKS FANTASTIC. Also added the JC Whitney Foot Peg to get Air up my Protective Pant Legs and ride with little to no clothing under M/C Pants, Textile & Hardened Pads to protect for the slide.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k249/frogmaster_2006/DSC01435.jpg

One day back in 2003 Afghanistan Camping trip drank 12 each 20 oz Water bottles in 120+ degrees then peed once just 6 oz. WATER WATER WATER :225:

Ok, from now on you have to wash the darn bugs off the stuff before sending the pictures. :rotf:

On the subject of dehydration... Did a 10hr 105° ride a few years ago sucking Desanti's all the way. 3.5 gallons of gas... 2 bottles of Desanti ever 150 miles. Thought I was taking care of business, but later on when doing a little reading up on the subject I found out it takes more than water to keep the bod on an even keel. You're loosing more than water. Bottled water might taste good and wet your whistle, but we need to replace the electrolites also. I'd of been a lot better off drinking Gatorade or some other sports drink. Not to found of their taste, but the next time around it'll be the sports drink. :scorched:

On the subject of dehydration... Did a 10hr 105° ride a few years ago sucking Desanti's all the way. 3.5 gallons of gas... 2 bottles of Desanti ever 150 miles. Thought I was taking care of business, but later on when doing a little reading up on the subject I found out it takes more than water to keep the bod on an even keel. You're loosing more than water. Bottled water might taste good and wet your whistle, but we need to replace the electrolites also. I'd of been a lot better off drinking Gatorade or some other sports drink. Not to found of their taste, but the next time around it'll be the sports drink. :scorched:

I carry around little packets of electrolytes / rehydration drink mixes, meant to be added to water bottles. The lemonade and cherry are not too bad; maybe you can find one you like. I like the "nipple style" tops on some water bottles better than the "gaping maw" design of sports drinks. They're easier for me to drink while on the bike. :innocent:

Dave

+1 to the sports drink/drink mixes IN ADDITION to water. I usually have a Camelbak M.U.L.E with me, so it holds 100 oz of water. I fill it about 1/2 with water then stick it in the freezer overnight before I go, then fill it up the rest of the way with water. Throw a few low sugar sports drinks in either the bag of the camelbak or in the trunk and drink those when I stop. If the bladders of the camelbaks weren't so difficult to clean, I would just put a few of the packets in the bladder and fill-er-up with water and shake it up... But, it is what it is.

Souds like you had a good trip! Wish I could have joined you on the way, but, I suppose I have got to work sometime...