IGNORED

How far a day traveling 2 up with camping gear?

1joeranger

Just curious on a campers day? How far do you go in one day? What is a typical day like?

I usually try for 300miles in a day. My ideal is to get up as soon as I hear the birds, break camp and hit the road by 8, if not earlier. After 2 gas stops, say 200 miles, I am ready for a good long break and am looking for a good lunch place where I can watch my girlfriend drink a bear or two and maybe steal a sip. Review my map and re-evaluate our destination for the evening. Like pulling into camp early setting up watching my girl cook dinner as I write in my journal about the day, the performance of the bike, and any interesting people we came across. Beer really, really taste good then! I can and have done this for a month or more! For me the journey is usually more then the destination I love a good country road I have never been on in a state I have not visited much! As I said this is my ideal! Curious what others experience and what works for them?

I never seen anyone "drink a bear".....but I'll go onna limb and say that pygmies can top that on any given day.:scratchchin:

Boomer....who's enjoying the peace and quiet in a pygmie-free apartment.:Laugh:

Don said he found a couple that he thought you forgot so he mailed them to overnight "Special Delivery" cause he knew you would miss them so much. :missingtooth::missingtooth::missingtooth:

He hates to see a grown man cry!:crying::crying::crying:

Boomer can't go camping anyway, he don't even have a tent.:stickpoke:

HA~! I had one at MD thanks to you pal!!:thumbsup2:

At next year's MD I'm gonna stay at the same Hotel as BradT & NaughtT .....a wittle birdie told me those 2 are real party animals ......:shock3:

Boomer....who can pee in the pool with the best of em....:rasberry:

Don said he found a couple that he thought you forgot so he mailed them to overnight "Special Delivery" cause he knew you would miss them so much. :missingtooth::missingtooth::missingtooth:

He hates to see a grown man cry!:crying::crying::crying:

And to think out of kindness I left cheesecake in that man's refrigerator!!:mad:

Boomer....who sez all in-coming pygmies will be shipped out to Conroe,Texas for the Monkey Boy to deal with......:Laugh:

You're living my dream, my friend. I can't wait until I can do the same. Until then though I guess I can't give any advice. As it is now, usually, I go as far as I can as fast as I can to get to a destination.

Enjoy and be safe.

:thumbsup2:

At next year's MD I'm gonna stay at the same Hotel as BradT & NaughtT .....a wittle birdie told me those 2 are real party animals ......:shock3:

Party Animals ? :whistling:. I am sure there would be a few good laughs

the Monkey Boy to deal with

Monkey Boy, now that is still funny :rotf:

Brad

We have travelled a fair bit with the kids. Daughter rides with Mom and our son rides with me. I pull the camper she has the cargo trailer with the stuff and two tents for the kids.

We dont start early..9 ish if we are lucky. Ride some and then get a breakfast. Ride some more stopping along the way to give the kids a break. We have done 600 mile days with them but by then we are into a motel...too beat to set up.

We normally try and stop early enough to set up in day light. Eat...light fire have some refreshments. Play some cards maybe have a swim if there is a pool or lake. Enjoy the down time.

I do not like trying to find a camp ground nor set up in the dark. That is no fun at all.

ok ...Back to the original ?????????? The wife and I rarely ride 2 up as she prefers to be on her own bike most of the time. We do pull a trailer behind my bike and camp as often as possible. For us it less about miles and more about the ride. So we usually just ride till we fill like stopping and then find a place to camp. Usually pretty easy to find camp site espescially if you stay in the parkways. Our rides are usually about 6-8 hrs and then set up camp. We also dont tend to get up so early being as the misses is not a morning person.

Only time this changes is if we have a specific destination.

Hope this helps

David

When I take a vacation ride it's not so much about the miles as it is about what there is to see along the way otherwise you may as well ride with blinders on.

Of course its different if you have a specific destination in mind and want to figure out when you will get there.

Ron (Moped) and I have gone as far as 800 miles in one day, of course we were tenting in the dark.

It all depends where we are at the time. We never usually have any set plans. Even when we went to Sturgis we did not have any reservations for a campsite. And once we got there, we had no problem finding a place, as opposed to what every one told us it would be like. I still love to camp, although we are limited, because we do not use a trailer. It is nice if we can get a shower regularly too. I really do not mind camping. My friends think I am nuts however. I know hotels are nice, but I also know how bad the bedbug problems are in hotels, so I think I would rather deal with our tent. I also am envious of your road trip. I would love to be able to do that. Ride safe and enjoy every mile of the ride.

Yama Mamahttp://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/RonnieY/?action=view&current=DSC06891.jpghttp://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/RonnieY/th_Sturgis09184.jpg?t=1277382539

When I started this I said my "ideal" was to get out of the camp site on or before 8. Rarely do we do that. My girlfriend sleeps a little longer, exercises, (great body) and then showers. I putter and then break down tent when she heads to the shower. We normally head out about 10ish. Not complaining! She does more than her fair share. While at Freebirds Ron from Cincinnati let me know that she was breaking down camp while I was lounging with Freebird and Rick Butler drinking coffee. (I thought Ron would have been considerate enough to help her take down that big tent, but no he made her do it by herself!) She was letting me enjoy my morning! We make a good team.

Being the early bird I find things to do such as packing up kitchen, washing dishing, strolling through the camp area, visiting other early birds, etc. I have always felt though that as John Wayne said: "Daylight is wasting". Usually we do stop around 2ish to take that big break, eat some, evaluate our destination which may get modified depending on weather, time left in the day, or new information from locals. We never ride after dark, just to dangerous, and we always have that tent up before dusk. Rarely do we hotel it and we don't go out to eat much. She loves to cook and I love to watch her cook and eat! Great combination.

We will occasionally hit a bar if we see one that looks like a hole in wall. One such was Cowboys off of I90 in Wyoming. We were heading to Yellowstone and our campsite for the night was less then a mile from this establishment. We had about 10 beers and a pizza or two and our tab was less then $20 and I tip very, very, good! Love places like that!

I try to avoid the interstates as much as possible. Just cannot see as much from there plus I dread getting stuck in road construction! Yuck!! Like painterman67 said I am more interested in the traveling then I am in the destination.

So did not mean to turn this into a dissertation just looking for ideas to improve upon our expeditions!!

Thanks!!