IGNORED

So about this wobble

screamstone

A few more points and I'm done with this thread.

After thinking about it, I think that from now on my only reply to those considering a CT or asking advice will be to advise them to ask those giving that advice what their actual experience on a CT is and to ignore those that have none. And I'll be taking my own advice after this since it's really dumb of me to argue with those that can only say "I read" or "I heard" or "I think" and not "I did". I did see where Goose says he has ridden a bike with a CT but a trip around the block really doesn't count... or was it at least a 100 mile trip or longer? I doubt it.

"CT's run 20% over max inflation". Misinformation

The only Darksiders that I have ever heard of that run above the max inflated pressure are those that are trying to correct the wobble instead of fix the problem. My Kumho is at 38lbs and the rated max is 41lbs.

..."that's why car tires have less grip". Misinformation

Find someone that has actually put some miles on both m/c tires a CT's and ask which tire has more traction. I doubt you will find any that will say the m/c tire. I know the Kumho on my bike has better traction than a m/c tire.

As for my saying "better handling"... I consider better traction in all situations (stopping, starting and turning; in the rain or dry) better handling and I've never had a wobble at any speed. I would feel like I was lying if I only said "handles as good as". (By the way, there are enough Darksiders out there scraping pegs if you want to look for them on KillBoy.com. I'm not into that and I definitely don't accept childish "I dare ya's".)

And lastly, I consider it really strange thinking when someone thinks that a better product at a lower cost is a bad thing. I also have a Road Star. If it makes you feel any better, I'll be paying as much to get a CT for it as I would for a m/c tire when the Avon wears out. But I still consider it less expensive considering all of the other benefits including extended tire life.

As I said, I'm done with this thread but at least those reading will get to see all the misinformation rebutted.

Well said! Although I don't dought that some have run in to some issues, I for one have not. I also know alot of people who have run in to problems with mc tires. I have ridden in the hottest of temps, very cold temps, downpours, twisties, pulling a trailer and have never had any issue with the car tire. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but when it is presented as fact that's a problem.

David aka wngrr

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran a CT for 4000 miles. Much better straight line traction. Only time I ever pulled the front wheel was with the c/t. Was actually trying to squawl the tires under a bridge for that cool sound, revving and dumping the clutch in second while moving. But the c/t lifted the front wheel instead.

It also stopped without near as much lock-up.

Scraped the pegs a whole lot more the c/t. My buddy trailing on his FJR, and sometimes on his r6 track bike (is an experienced track rider) stated the bike "squatted" in the turns as the tires flexed more as the lean angle increased.

Also, the rear would "step out" if I went over a rough surface in the turn (lots of that on the backroads around here).

Went into a bad tank slapping shimmy riding with kitty on the back when I went into a curve hotter than I meant to (was just cruisin, and curve was sharper than appeared) and the rear stepped out. I think I hit the rear brake just as I hit something rough. Luckily came out with only two badly bruised ankles.

My track buddy claimed I was must faster when I went back to the m/t. It felt way faster. I also quit coming home with brown stains in my britches.

My VOTE is a c/t cannot handle as well as an E3. My OPINION is anyone that thinks a c/t outhandles a m/t does not ride as hard as I do.

I still have the c/t mounted on a spare wheel if I decide to go on another cross-country interstate ride, so I cannot say I am anti-c/t. But it is not a does-everything better.

Edited by OutKast

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've played with pressures some, but the wobble is still there. Probably not really worse, but I'm very comfy on the tire and so I forget it's the CT... I get on the highway and throttle her up a lot... she does a dance.

I'm glad she's excited to go fast with her little dance, but I don't like to be on her back when she does. Back to MC tire for me. I get it when the speedo hits 80ish. In South Florida traffic, you sometimes need to jump into the flow and that requires a quick burst up in the 80s sometimes... And I like to go fast. :)

Anyway- I wish it worked. I never felt anything weird in slow speeds, it feels different, but not better or worse... jsut different.

Guess I'm trying e3's next!

rs

hi rob and thanks for your post on your experiance with the c/t. sorry it didn't work for you but as i have stated in the past this mod is not for everyone. i have log over 50,000 miles on two c/t's. but for me and my style of riding it works just fine. you have done the right thing for you and that is to feel and be safe.

best reguards

don c.

So, I've played with pressures some, but the wobble is still there. Probably not really worse, but I'm very comfy on the tire and so I forget it's the CT... I get on the highway and throttle her up a lot... she does a dance.

I'm glad she's excited to go fast with her little dance, but I don't like to be on her back when she does. Back to MC tire for me. I get it when the speedo hits 80ish. In South Florida traffic, you sometimes need to jump into the flow and that requires a quick burst up in the 80s sometimes... And I like to go fast. :)

Anyway- I wish it worked. I never felt anything weird in slow speeds, it feels different, but not better or worse... jsut different.

Guess I'm trying e3's next!

rs

I'm in the same boat. Mine is coming off. I don't hate it except at 80+ mph. Otherwise I'm very happy with it. Riding 2 up and loaded, it did great on our vacation. It's only when I ride 1 up that the shimmy comes into play. But when it does, it's freakin unnerving. Guess I'm gonna try my first Avon.

• 2 weeks later...

I have wavered over the last year about weather to go with a C/T. Both arguments are valid but I do notice one emerging pattern. Most of the wobble issues seem to be from a C/T, unless your running a brickstone. A few friends of mine run a C/T and love them but I see many here in this forum who have bad experiences with them. I personally have an issue with the bead seating area difference. Makes me wonder.

Another issue that crosses my mind is insurance companies. For arguments sake lets say someone running a C/T has a bad accident and some smart insurance adjuster sees a C/T on the rear and decided to dis-allow the claim. I personally havent seen this happen yet but makes one wonder. If a lawsuit was involved you can bet some attorney will notice it.

Just my thoughts on this issue. And while I have leaned toward the C/T from time to time I never had any issues with my Avons. :smile5: