Finally got around to installing my Memphis Shades Batwing. I ordered a generic one off of EBAY for a 9" headlight, bought the quick release brackets from Wayne, and made a custom bracket to attach the batwing to the quick release bracket. Took it for a quick ride and I like it.

Have same year and color RSTD! So if you don't mind please install "The Wave";

http://www.saddleshades.us/pdf/aboutroadwaves.pdf

that way I know what it will look like on mine before purchasing it!!!

I am just old and cranky, but WHY? Buy a Harley if you want it.

:farmer:

WHY? - for me it was several reasons

Maybe we don't want a Harley but don't like the looks of the venture fairing (If you want a spaceship - just go buy it).

Maybe we could just pull the nice smooth v4 out of this and put it in a harley frame - that would be ok. Lots more accessories. leave the muffs off and we would be good to go. damn - that'd be expensive

Maybe we like doing our own customizing and building exactly what we want (which is NOT a harley) within the confines of our budget.

By the way - I have a Harley trunk too - that probably really gets you cranky but, I couldn't find a venture trunk, rack, backrest and all the pieces for anywhere near the price.

you will NEVER see another bike that looks like mine (and by the way - the head Yamaha mechanic at the shop thought my fairing and trunk were factory and Yamaha had put out a model at sometime that he wasn't aware of.)

The only thing I am kind of wishing for(that the venture has) is intercoms but - not a big deal.

my comments are really just in fun but, are you serious or a :stirthepot:

• 3 weeks later...
I am just old and cranky, but WHY? Buy a Harley if you want it.

:farmer:

Harleys are a dime a dozen around here due to mass marketing to the baby boomers, I too am a baby boomer, retired, comfortable lifestyle but remember the days growing up where I strived to be different.....and a quickly removeable batwing on a RSTD is DIFFERENT...

Where are y'all finding the quick-release windscreen sets? It doesn't sound like you are removing the brackets from the existing screen, so where?

Off-topic, but has anyone sourced a quick-release backrest? I want to add a fuel cell in place of the backrest for LD riding.

Dave

see very first post...quick release brackets from "Wayne"...........these will give you a set of black powdered coated legs that you then build from to attach the MS batwing....these legs merely fit over the existing mounting pins on your forks, they do NOT latch in as the OEM but rather engage enough so that they can not fly off, it would be very easy to incorporate a locking system if one wanted it.

see very first post...quick release brackets from "Wayne"...........these will give you a set of black powdered coated legs that you then build from to attach the MS batwing....these legs merely fit over the existing mounting pins on your forks, they do NOT latch in as the OEM but rather engage enough so that they can not fly off, it would be very easy to incorporate a locking system if one wanted it.

and I did install a very quick locking system because I was worried about it. Shouldn't have been as it has never moved while installed.

and I did install a very quick locking system because I was worried about it. Shouldn't have been as it has never moved while installed.

Gotta picture of it? Mine has never moved either, been at 90 mph and it never flew off:scared:

but since I am thinking about trying to install the Hogtunes for MS Batwings a locking device might be a good idea???

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

IF you have the MS lowers mounted on their batwing, use caution when removing the batwing....my usual way was to use the palms of my hands and give a push up to disengage the fork mounts from the pins....well the other day I went to do that and one lower broke off as I pushed up, was very lucky I did not cut the palm of my hand since it was a glass like fracture.....I am guess it was cracked/broken due to vibration but held on by the three screws....all in all still a good project IMO....now if I could mount some LEDs somewhere for signal lights?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Finally got around to installing my Memphis Shades Batwing. I ordered a generic one off of EBAY for a 9" headlight, bought the quick release brackets from Wayne, and made a custom bracket to attach the batwing to the quick release bracket. Took it for a quick ride and I like it.

I'm back after a hiatus...hey a friend of mine is looking for a set of Wayne's brackets, I don't see the adds anymore......on a bad note I have a new VStar 1300 tourer with my name on it ....decisions decisions