IGNORED

HD Road Glide rider backrest on a 1st gen

Latest project for the scooter sunk to a new low. I bought an adjustable backrest bracket from a 2007 Harley Road Glide and mounted it on the bike.

I didn't get the mounting bar for the backrest or the actual backrest so I fabricated one up. The mounting brackets were also McGyvered from stock steel pieces .

I had to remove a section of the plastic base for the seat and a little foam for the bracket clearance.

It is a removable backrest and the tilt can be adjusted forward and back. There is a cable made for it that I didn't get. The tilt feature is something I really don't care if I have, since once I get it set where I want it, it won't need to move again. I can trigger the tilt but the seat needs to be off in order to do it without the cable.

There are two pictures of the orange bike that is a Road Glide with the stock bracket mounted to it.

I don't have the backrest covered or the bar powder coated. Those are tomorrows project.

Cost for the bracket on ebay was $46 with shipping and I have about another $30 in a couple of pieces of steel and the foam and covering material.

It really does make the bike more comfortable. Road it for about 40 miles tonight and I like it. Bike didn't seem any slower with the HD part on it either.

:sign isnt that spec

Gary

Edited by dingy
added more pictures

• 10 months later...

Yes I am dredging this up from the past. But I need a backrest before the ride to MD in June.

Do you have any pics of the mods that you had to make to the bottom of the seat?

Now that you have had this for a while, how do you like it?

Do you think this same thing would work on my '88?

I'm not sure I could live with my riding buddies (they all have Harleys) if they found out I had a Harley part on my bike.:whistling::stickpoke:

Yes I am dredging this up from the past. But I need a backrest before the ride to MD in June.

Do you have any pics of the mods that you had to make to the bottom of the seat?

Now that you have had this for a while, how do you like it?

Do you think this same thing would work on my '88?

I'm not sure I could live with my riding buddies (they all have Harleys) if they found out I had a Harley part on my bike.:whistling::stickpoke:

I will post some more pictures tonight.

So far no oil leaks around it.

Gary

I put some more pictures in the first post.

:photographing:

This is the best thing I have done to the bike comfort wise. It is a huge improvement.

I have two broken vertebrae in my lower back and the support is excellent.

Gary

Did it change anything significant for the passenger? Can the bracket be felt much, if at all, by the passenger when riding? I love the idea and your work, I just wouldn't want the bracket under/in the seat to be poking my wife in the crotch area and making for an uncomfortable ride. The brackets for the backrest I have now dig into her knees. Your idea is a route I would take as long as it doesn't interfere with passenger comfort.

Keep up the good work,

Bill

It does interfere with wife sitting back there, which isn't often. She is short, 4'11".

Maybe narrowing of the overall width of the backrest itself might help reduce this. I would think it would be less intrusive than the pictured one you attached.

It is removable with a pushbutton on top of main bracket. 10 seconds to pull off and put in trunk.

Gary

Here is a picture that shows the release lever.

Just to the right of the silver nut at top right of bracket, there is a black plastic lever.

You push it down with finger through opening in seat and seat back bracket releases and can be pulled up and removed. To replace just push down in bracket.

Gary