IGNORED

Leveling Links Vs Smaller front

Considering this while I'm doing everything else... What is the difference between installing leveling links and smaller front tire? (aside from overall higher/lower seat)

Is there a handling difference between the two options or are they both basically the exactly same handling, just one inch or so difference in saddle height?

I'm worried about the high speed "squirreliness" that i hear happens with smaller front tire. Do leveling links also do the same thing?

Hey Rob, I tried the 130 tire and I personally wasnt happy with it. Too much "squirreliness" at speeds over 80. I wasnt happy with its high speed stability. And the bike felt too loose for me at low speeds as well. Within 2000 miles I went back to the Avon 150 front. Since I dont have the leveling links I really cant comment on them but my bike handles fine as it is. From what I understand the leveling links are better used with the 150 front. A combination of the LL and the 130 tire supposedly makes for a real loose ride. Im sure you will get varying opinions on this matter. Just remember that here in FL were not riding twisties all day. But then im an A1A kind of guy myself....:smile5:

Hey Rob, I tried the 130 tire and I personally wasnt happy with it. Too much "squirreliness" at speeds over 80. I wasnt happy with its high speed stability. And the bike felt too loose for me at low speeds as well.

For me it doesn't matter what speed I am going to get this "squirrely" feeling ... what seems to cause it is lateral grouves or irregularity in the road surface. For me it feels like one tire wants to go one way and the other tire doesn't. Somethimes it feels like the rear of the bike is slipping sideways. What is interesting tho is when Nina is riding with me, it doesn't seem to happen as much. Maybe I'm running too much air in the back for a solo ride? As for low speeds, I really like the "nimbleness" ... I feel I am much more in control and when doing the twisties, I find I don't have to "muscle" it anymore.

For me it doesn't matter what speed I am going to get this "squirrely" feeling ... what seems to cause it is lateral grouves or irregularity in the road surface. For me it feels like one tire wants to go one way and the other tire doesn't. Somethimes it feels like the rear of the bike is slipping sideways. What is interesting tho is when Nina is riding with me, it doesn't seem to happen as much. Maybe I'm running too much air in the back for a solo ride? As for low speeds, I really like the "nimbleness" ... I feel I am much more in control and when doing the twisties, I find I don't have to "muscle" it anymore.

I find the 150 handles the grooves and irregularities much better than the 130. Since you get that squirrily feeling most of the time you may need to tighten your steering neck bearings. (fork bearings). I run 45 lbs in shock one up or two. But then im a big guy anyway. 5 lbs up front too.

Since you get that squirrily feeling most of the time you may need to tighten your steering neck bearings.

Didn't mean to imply that it happens all the time ... just sometimes, when I run onto a crack or irregularity that is sufficient to cause it. I also notice the feeling is more pronounced when there is a lot of cross wind or turbulence but like I said, not as noticeable when riding two-up.

I've tested the bearings according to "how to check" method(s) found here on the site ... they seem fine to me.

I remember from the 2 first gen's I've had that when the rear tire gets almost worn out, this "slip-sliding" feeling would occur but my rear tire isn't that bad....yet.

I did not have the feeling when the 150 was on the bike.... it started right away after installing the 130 so I attribute it to the smaller tire, not steering head bearings or air pressures although I'm sure both can have an effect if they are off.

I found that the 130 and links was over kill and also experienced unstable over sensitive handling at highway speeds. The links alone are great. Due to the shortening of the rake due to the links the bike is less top heavy @ slow speeds, 2 up and backing up or any time I use my legs for propulsion. I have not experienced the 130 in place of the links, but you wouldn't get the lessening of top heaviness with just the tires. For whatever my opinion is good for.:7_2_104[1]:

Didn't mean to imply that it happens all the time ... just sometimes, when I run onto a crack or irregularity that is sufficient to cause it. I also notice the feeling is more pronounced when there is a lot of cross wind or turbulence but like I said, not as noticeable when riding two-up.

I've tested the bearings according to "how to check" method(s) found here on the site ... they seem fine to me.

I remember from the 2 first gen's I've had that when the rear tire gets almost worn out, this "slip-sliding" feeling would occur but my rear tire isn't that bad....yet.

I did not have the feeling when the 150 was on the bike.... it started right away after installing the 130 so I attribute it to the smaller tire, not steering head bearings or air pressures although I'm sure both can have an effect if they are off.

I have noticed rides tons smoother with the Mechanic. For some reason, wind turbulence is more noticeable without her. I have had the 130, and had no issues at any speed, but when I put the Flander bar setup on, did not like the feel of the 130, so went back to the 150 and no issues at any speed. Never tried the leveling links, do not need too.

I went to the 130 and must say, I love it. I honestly don't know what you mean about the squirrely feeling. I have read about this here and had me a bit concerned about changing tire size, but did it anyway. Slow speed turning has improved for the better. I have speeds upwards of 100+ MPG, no problems. I have passed large trucks at 80+MPG.

I will take cloverleaf curves at a good speed and out of all these situations to test if I like the smaller tire, I have never felt anything but good.

I don't know if I am just lucky not to feel that squirrely feeling or if I am too stupid to feel it, but for now, I am really enjoying my ride more than ever.

Did I mention that I get free tires for life? Any brand I choose.

I went to the 130 and must say, I love it. I honestly don't know what you mean about the squirrely feeling. I have read about this here and had me a bit concerned about changing tire size, but did it anyway. Slow speed turning has improved for the better. I have speeds upwards of 100+ MPG, no problems. I have passed large trucks at 80+MPG.

I will take cloverleaf curves at a good speed and out of all these situations to test if I like the smaller tire, I have never felt anything but good.

I don't know if I am just lucky not to feel that squirrely feeling or if I am too stupid to feel it, but for now, I am really enjoying my ride more than ever.

What do you have on the rear (of the bike) and how many miles on it? Could be the type of tire that's causing this "squirrelly" feeling.

Better yet, what brand on the front & rear?

What tire pressure's you runnin?

BTW, I been there (Sylvan Lake)

Considering this while I'm doing everything else... What is the difference between installing leveling links and smaller front tire? (aside from overall higher/lower seat)

Is there a handling difference between the two options or are they both basically the exactly same handling, just one inch or so difference in saddle height?

I'm worried about the high speed "squirreliness" that i hear happens with smaller front tire. Do leveling links also do the same thing?

I have never tried the leveling links, but I have the smaller front tire and have not noticed any high speed squirrels.

I have both the 130 and Links installed. Never any problems with the handling. No problems with high speed or low speeds even while pulling my trailer. I run Michelin Commanders on front and back.

I agree with this, I have both a 130 Avon and leveling links installed. I did tighten my steering head bearing this spring. I've not experienced any "squirrelly" feeling one up, two up or pulling the camper. We had her up to 95 this past saturday no problem. The 130 was on the bike when I got it, Denden said it would feel kind of "loose" until I got used to it. I don't think it feels too much different than the 90 VR did. I now have an E3 on the back, when I get a new front tire I may put the 150 on to see what the difference is.

just how do i get the free tires?? and what do i need to do to be able to pass trucks

while getting 80+ to 100+ miles per gallon????:rotfl::rotfl::buttkick::8:well??

I adjusted the steering head bearings and that "feeling like the bike wants to follow the crack" went away and the bike handles like it should. finally!

hmmmmmmm... ok, well, I am going to have a "go" at this and see if there's any difference. I know that looseness here is an "issue" with these bikes so I'll check it again although when I did check it a couple month's back, before I started riding for the season, it was doing what it was supposed to (rebounds off the stopper and gently stops)

Been on the leveling links now for about a week with the 150 ME880 up front, and I love the handling at all speeds now. Even my wife noticed a difference last night when we went on a 40 mile evening run. I also keep about 25psi in the rear shock when riding solo, and about 40psi when 2-up. No handling issues whatsoever. And the new pillow top seats are the cherry on the whip cream! :banana:

I put leveling links on my bike within the first 5000 miles. It has been so long, I cannot remember anything other than I thought the bike handled better. And I was more comfortable on it at 6' 1".

I have not felt the need to try the 130 front tire.

As stated, the streering head bearings may need looking at.

For me, I began to get that squirrely feeling in higher speed turns (freeway entrance ramps). After I got rid of the OEM D404 front tire, that went away. I believe it was because of the center tread on the D404.