IGNORED

Russel Day Long Saddle

midnightventure

About 5 years ago I bought a Corbin seat for my Venture. It looked great on the bike but I was never happy with the comfort on long trips (250 miles or more). Last year (after the International Rally) I received my custom built Russel Day Long. Last weekend my wife and I went on a long enough trip that I feel like I'm qualified to review the seat. I wish I had done this the first year I had the bike instead of waiting until I had 77000 miles on the bike. We went to Van Buren Ar last weekend. Did about 340 miles both days. Especially the first day I could have done a lot more. The second day I was just glad to get home before the serious rain hit. With the Russell Day Long you have to have a original seat to send in and then wait for it to be built.

Just made my first run with my new RDL saddle. 4700 miles in 9 days including two 1000+ mile days (first day and last day). My butt was ready for more although the locks would have gotten changed on the house if I went for more.

I agree with you, wish I had spring for the RDL years ago.

RR

Come on guys... you know the rules... Where are the PICTURES!

You don't want pics of a RDL seat. While they are the most comfortable out there, they are also one of the ugliest seats ever.

However, since you insist...

RR

You don't want pics of a RDL seat. While they are the most comfortable out there, they are also one of the ugliest seats ever.

However, since you insist...

RR

Boy are you sitting between two time bombs :whistling: but then some would say better than the alternative :rotf::rotf:

My seat pics from another thread.

Best investment I've made on the bike...by far.

Not sure why but I never could get comfortable on the stock seat. With the Russell seat I swear I sometimes forget that it's there. Always was aware of the pillow top.

I have no problems with my pillow top, but back on my last sport touring bike, the seat was brutal.. I had it customized by Rick Mayer Cycle. I was able to do 400 mile days on a 750 sport touring bike and when I did stop it was usually things other then the seat that was the problem.

Note, Rick Mayer is the younger son of Bill Mayer Sr. Bill Mayer Sr. designed the Russell Day Long seat before he opened his own company Mayer Saddle, where he made a few design changes. Mayer Saddle is now owned by Bill Mayer Jr. Rick worked at Mayer Saddle but left to open his own shop when Bill Jr inherited the company.

So basically if you buy a seat from Russel, Mayer, or Rick Mayer you are getting a Bill Mayer Sr. design.

Ok, I give. What is the major difference between this seat and the Butler seat. Was thinking about having him do mine to see if there would be an improvement. Now I need to figure out which is better and why. Also, does someone have a link for this type of seat?

TIA

Bill Mayer/Rick Mayer saddle - Completely custom, hand made seat. Submit pictures of you on bike along with personal dimensions for sizing. Uses multiple layers of special foam(s) to improve support over a wider area. Also available as a ride-in build. Works well for those under 250 lbs. One of the real long distance saddles - designed for multiple 1000+ mile days. Built on your OEM seatpan. $450-$800 plus shipping each way - depending on options.

Russell Day Long saddle - Completely custom, hand made seat. Also must submit pictures along with dimensions. This saddle uses an extra internal spring support structure that is especially nice for heavier riders. This is the seat with 'butt wings'. This is the other real long distance saddle built for multiple 1000+ days. Built on your OEM seatpan. Also available as a ride-in build. $450-$800 plus shipping each way - depending on options.

Butt Butler - Rick modifies the seat foam by relieving areas of stress, such as where the tailbone hits. He also can shave down the sides making it easier for a short rider to flatfoot the bike. Adds memory foam to relieved area for structure and comfort. This makes a stock 200 mile seat into a 400 mile seat. I had this done to a stock (non-pillowtop) seat and it made all the difference in the world. Still not a 1000+ mile, multiday seat, but light years ahead of stock. If you are not planning on doing LD riding and just want to be able to casually ride all day, this is the best value in seats. Approx $50 plus shipping each way.

Rick, feel free to correct any of this above about your seat mod.

Hope this helps. There are often specials and group membership (AMA, BMWOA, etc) discounts of 10% or so.

RR

Ok, I give. What is the major difference between this seat and the Butler seat. Was thinking about having him do mine to see if there would be an improvement. Now I need to figure out which is better and why. Also, does someone have a link for this type of seat?

TIA

Here's the web address for Russell:

http://www.day-long.com/index.html

RR has provided the differences. There is much more detailed info on the web site.

These do look pricey, but I need to do something so I'm leaning towards the Russell at this time. I have a Corbin now, so the Butler mod is not an option. (Rick has stated previously that he prefers not to mod the Corbin) Other options would be some other aftermarket seat (Mustang?) or trying to locate a pillow top. I assume I would pay almost as much for a stock pillow top from Yamaha or a Mustang as for the Russell, so that seems the way to go, unless I can find a good condition used pillow top. I've been checking ebay but no luck. Anybody here have one for sale, or other ideas where to find one, and what should I expect to pay for one?

Thanks.

Contact Ike Iacoviello

Mustang is now making a seat combination for our Ventures. He sent me pictures, and they look very, very good on the bike. Also has a matching tank bib available. Seats can be bought with or without studs.

If you've ever owned a Mustang seat, you know they're great. They are pricey, though.

But don't you often get what you pay for?

Contact Ike Iacoviello

Mustang is now making a seat combination for our Ventures. He sent me pictures, and they look very, very good on the bike. Also has a matching tank bib available. Seats can be bought with or without studs.

If you've ever owned a Mustang seat, you know they're great. They are pricey, though.

But don't you often get what you pay for?

Yep, got the email, they are now in production mode.