IGNORED

preserving 2nd gear

Is there a way that I can prolong the life of 2nd gear on my 84 VR. My thought was to skip 2nd gear when going through the gears from a stop. Maybe just use it when turning on to side streets or something. Just a thought. I have 33,000 on the bike and 2nd gear so far is fine.

Just became a member, this forum is great!!

From what I've read the problem seems to mainfest itself around 60,000 miles give or take depending on the riders style and how hard the bike has been ridden.

Now......I'm no techy when it comes to the trannies on these bikes but maybe someone can chime in here but doesn't the same thrust washer come into play when in 5th gear. If so probably not to the same extent as a load in second gear but none the less. If I'm correct. Might be wrong.......happened before a couple of times. LOL!

I'm watching my '84 to. It's running around 53,000 now and I'm trying to behave myself but dang.......the old girl is running good this year.

Is there a way that I can prolong the life of 2nd gear on my 84 VR. My thought was to skip 2nd gear when going through the gears from a stop. Maybe just use it when turning on to side streets or something. Just a thought. I have 33,000 on the bike and 2nd gear so far is fine.

Just became a member, this forum is great!!

Skipping 2nd gear, is normally done after, it starts jumping out..... Many, continue on for years, before getting around to fixing it.

Less parts are needed, to fix the issue, before it becomes a problem. Makes a great winter project, if you are handy with tools.

Not hammering the bike in second gear will help it last a long time. You may never have any issues. Many years ago I used to own an XS1100 which I was always told had a tendency for the same problem. I never did have problems with mine though.

OK, here's my spin on this second gear thing FWIW. A weakened thrust washer will cause the second gears dogs to jump out of the recess. A rounded dog will make things even worse. Rounded dogs are caused by trying to ease the tranny into second where the dog edge will bang against the recess lip several times before it finaly seats. To keep things squared away, don't baby the shift. You're not helping matters. Be positive when shifting... in all gears. I bought an '83VR that exibited the start of second gear demise, jumping in and out of gear under higher torque loads. Rode the bike for 3-400 miles, and second gear continually got better as the mileage piled up to the point where second gear was rock solid under heavy loads. I'm not saying that positive shifting will cure the second gear thrust washer problem, but it will keep second gear operational for a lot more miles. I've owned two '83VR's so far. Both with around 50,000+ miles when sold. Neither had a second gear problem.

It is my feeling that the wear on the thrust washer is actually caused by the pressure from the big spring which pushes against the thrust washer. The wear result is the reduced engagement of the dogs from 2nd gear fitting into 5th gear. Then you can get the resulting rounding off of the dogs making it have even less engagement along with bent forks from the jumpimg out of gear.

I have always wondered if there may be an oil addative that would reduce the wear on the thrust washer without causing clutch slippage. That is the only thing I can think of in saving 2nd gear. And, in my opinion, I just love 2nd gear when accellerating up thru the gears.

I agree with condor on shifting quickly and firmly and do not baby it into engagement. Gentle shifting does more harm as it lets the gears ratchet into place.

RandyA

• 1 month later...

Thanks everybody for all your thoughts. I will take your advise and firmly shift into 2nd gear. After skipping 2nd gear for awhile just to see how it would be to lose it; I really hope it sticks around for awhile.

dbeck

Or do baby it - but learn to change gear smoothly. Years ago I read an MZ racers advice (they needed every edge they could get) on fast, smooth gear changes.

He didn't bother with the clutch to disengage the gear, only feathered it as it went into the next gear, with a fraction of a second closing the throttle to match engine speed. That might be going a little far, but a fast positive gearchange with thought on how you use the throttle will be good for a smooth fast take-off and better for the gearbox.

I have a couple of mid 80's I4 Hondas that have a 2nd gear problem as well. It may or may not be a similar situation, but this is what I have learned from riding them and discussing with others. Preload the shifter(put some pressure on the shift lever with your foot) then pull the clutch and make the shift. I have learned to do this and find the shifts to be very smooth and positive.

I have had more than one person bring their bike into the shop complaining of shifting problems. What I have found out is, Adjust the shifter so you just have to lift the front of your boot up as apposed to lifting your entire foot off of the foot peg. I have adjusted 20 or more bike shifters because of this. After the adjustment, the bike always shifted smoother and crisper. To check this, put the bike on the center stand, left foot on the foot peg, rock the front of your foot to move the shifter. If you are lifting your foot to actuate the shift, the shifter is in the wrong position! To adjust the shifter, loosen the 10MM bolt, pull the shifter off of the spline, rotate the shifter counter clock wise a spline or two, re tighten the 10MM bolt and retest the position again.

Hope this helps,:thumbsup2:

Earl

It is my feeling that the wear on the thrust washer is actually caused by the pressure from the big spring which pushes against the thrust washer. The wear result is the reduced engagement of the dogs from 2nd gear fitting into 5th gear. Then you can get the resulting rounding off of the dogs making it have even less engagement along with bent forks from the jumpimg out of gear.

RandyA

Randy, you have it exactly right, except it is actually the 2 half-clips that hold the thrust washer, middle gear, anti-ratchet cam and "the big spring" on the output axle. Yamaha manufactured (or bought) these clips out of metal that was too soft for the intended purpose. It didn't show up for a couple of years, therefore the fix in 85. The ONLY way to fix or repair is to replace the clips with the updated part. DO IT BEFORE 2nd STARTS JUMPING and save a lot of work having to repair the gears. You have to pull the motor and split the cases, but it could be done in a weekend with the proper tools and knowledge.

Also, part of the problem was that there was not a lot of "engagement" between the dogs on 5th gear and the slots on second gear, allowing just a minute bit of wear on the split-clips to allow the "jumping" of the dogs around 2nd gear slots. If you do this, I would still disassemble the gear train on that shaft and undercut the dogs and the slots. This will make them pull together under load making sure that they won't let go. I did mine 3 years ago and it absolutely won't jump out on me, even when the front wheel is off the ground!

Good luck,

Dan