IGNORED

How many moved up/down or stayed the same

Older...

We're getting excited about our next purchase, that most likely being a Venture or a Tour Deluxe.

We're interested in knowing how many here are on their second Star Cruiser style, and/or those on their second Venture, or those who traded up to the Venture, or down to the cruiser.

We don't give a rat's ass about the chirp or other known traits of these motorcycles. We're kinda almost sold 100% on the V-4; but which style: Full boat with all the bells and whistles, or enjoy life a little longer in cruiserville. Oh yeah, hopefully we'll be able to test ride both this weekend in Daytona.

Well I don't have a chirp in mine and this 2nd Gen is a great bike.

I had a 83 Venture and figured I would have it a couple years like all my other bikes and 20 years later I sold it and bought this 02 (slightly used).

I think you will like the Venture it is a pretty good scoot.............Ron

I have had 4 Ventures, 2 1st gens and 2 RSV's, they are a great machine. As far as what you should get, thats all up to how you intend to ride. If your into long distance touring, the RSV is probably the best bet. If shorter jaunts are your thing, and the sterio isn't a big deal then a Tour Deluxe might work well. It's all in what you plan on doing....good luck with your choice :happy34:

I had a Roadstar for 3 years and put 40,000 miles on it. Got tired of the big twin shake and belt drive. I ride my bike everywhere. The Venture suits me just fine, but I like the radio and full fairing for when it gets below freezing. I bought my Venture used at the beginning of June and have put almost 10,000 miles on since.

Had an 86 Standard and went to a 99, mainly to get the better Radio (sound), CB, and to get away from the creaking plastic of the 1 st gen fairing. A lot of tabs were broken on the 1st gen and I do not like that type of work.

I just turn the volume up if the engine sound gets annoying :sign20:, PS mine is not that bad.

Brad

I'm lucky, I have a cruiser and a tour bike (RSV), they both have there place. I found that once I had ridden a touring bike I could not go back too, two-up touring on a cruiser. So with all that said, if your going to have only "One Bike" and think you want a cruiser get a cruiser because once you go RSV your not likely to go back to a cruiser for any long distance rides.

I have the RSTD - thought I would enjoy pulling the windshield off, didn't want/need a CB/Radio, didn't need no trunk - the TD comes with bags. After couple of months, that windshield never came off, bought a Harley trunk because Yamaha doesn't offer the aftermarket accessory capability of adding the trunk (economically), added the CB / XM Radio (don't know how I ever drove without one).

My point is my riding style changed drastically from 10 years ago. So, if I was to start this venture again, I would have just bought the Venture and saved some dollars with those add on accessories.

As others have said, it all depends on your riding style. Hanging out with this incredible group of people, you will have some long, fun rides possibly to enjoy. :080402gudl_prv:. Either way, you will be getting an incredible machine.

very simple answer....

tourer if you love and have the time for long distance rides, or a cruiser if you just love taking off for day or shorter rides.

and remember....the rsv is a real heavy sucker....do you have the height and strength to control it at slow speeds....with a passenger in the back?

i wouldnt advise anyone under 60 yrs of age to go for an rsv...or any one shorter than 5'-6" in height. and if i wanted to hear music, i'd do it in my living room. :witch_brew:

i own an 89 venture royale and a honda shadow ace 1100. which i bought this spring. i used to be tense riding the venture, but am really enjoying riding my honda cruiser. the venture has been collecting dust in the garage and licking its wounds since i fell off it last year in spring.... since i got the shadow.

but thats entirely MY opinion. many may not agree with my views.....and thats fine......and yes....i'm 5'-6" and over 60 in age.:whistling:

We're getting excited about our next purchase, that most likely being a Venture or a Tour Deluxe.

We're interested in knowing how many here are on their second Star Cruiser style, and/or those on their second Venture, or those who traded up to the Venture, or down to the cruiser.

We don't give a rat's ass about the chirp or other known traits of these motorcycles. We're kinda almost sold 100% on the V-4; but which style: Full boat with all the bells and whistles, or enjoy life a little longer in cruiserville. Oh yeah, hopefully we'll be able to test ride both this weekend in Daytona.

I had a 2003 V*1100 30K miles in 18 months, then to the 05 RSTD 15k miles in 7 months before I totalled it. Picked up my 03 Venture with 10K miles on it and one year later 33K miles. I love the Venture more than any of them because of the Trunk, stereo & fairing. I like to ride long trips and the extra storage capacity, tunes and protection from the fairing meet all my needs. Liked the RSTD,but didn 't like having to add a bag to the backrest luggage rack for all my trips.

For my first touring bike I started out with an 83 Venture, I have had it for 3 years, and I love the bike for the purpose it is intended, touring, for short rides and riding by myself, which I seem to do a lot of lately because of medical reasons, my wife cant ride right now, I bought a V Star 1300, and I love it. Its got fuel injection, 4 valves per cyl. saddle bags, floorboards, windshield and it rides great and handles great. I was going to part with the Venture, but its paid for and upkeep and ins. are minimal, so it still has its place in my stable..........either way you go you cant go wrong. Yamaha builds a great product, they just lag behind every one else in updating a great product in order to make it better............:bighug:

Go full boat treat yourself.

The V4 is the first thing on my list. Once you've settled on that:

For local runs and biker night downtown, the RSTD is more versatile.

If you go on longer trips or do a lot of two up riding I think the Venture wins hands down. More comfortable, more storage, communication options etc. are what did it for me. My wife didn't like riding before I got the Venture. Now she calls it HER bike!

I had an '85 VR before. When I sold it, I knew I would buy another...and I did. I've sat on RSV's, test drove them, read all the posts in here about them, watched a video of one, ....heck, I even dream about an RSV so, there's no doubt in my mind that I will be getting one when finances are in place (either next summer or summer 2009).

I moved up to the RSV from a V Star 1100. Quite the difference in handling the weight of the RSV. You eventually get used to it. . . . You just have to change how you think, always staying aware of slope of the road when coming to a stop, etc. I've only been on 1 long trip (& that was alone), so far, but I love using it for my daily commute of 18 miles 1 way, half of that on the freeway. Also love the cruise control, radio (how'd I get by without it before?), smoothness & comfort. Great ride!

Traded my new '03 Goldwing gl1800 for an '04 RSV. Was it a trade up or down? Probably most would look at it as down. But here's my take on it:

I gave up extra power, better handling, some passenger comfort, and EFI. I gained classic looks, more driver comfort, CB, cassette, passenger audio controls, aux. power outlet,(the Honda didn't come with any of these as standard features), easy access helmet locks, much easier "do it yourself maintenace", and a bike that truly stirs my soul. After almost 4 years, I still find myself sneeking that "one extra look" at the end of the day. So as you can tell, for me it was defenitely up!:happy34:

Traded my new '03 Goldwing gl1800 for an '04 RSV. Was it a trade up or down? Probably most would look at it as down. But here's my take on it:

I gave up extra power, better handling, some passenger comfort, and EFI. I gained classic looks, more driver comfort, CB, cassette, passenger audio controls, aux. power outlet,(the Honda didn't come with any of these as standard features), easy access helmet locks, much easier "do it yourself maintenace", and a bike that truly stirs my soul. After almost 4 years, I still find myself sneeking that "one extra look" at the end of the day. So as you can tell, for me it was defenitely up!:happy34:

My wife would disagree on the giving up passenger comfort point :no-no-no:

Guest Boomerbiker

I'm on my second '06 RSV after the first one was demolished in an accident caused by a cager. Just completed a 4 day 1800 mile ride through OH/PA/VA/SC/TN/KY and back to MI.

Rode an RSTD that chirped like a cricket on steroids before buying the Venture(s) and, although I ride solo, the trunk with luggage rack is a nice addition. The engine is bullet proof but I would never buy without a test drive. You might think the chirp is not a problem but if you get a real chirper and wear a full face helmet, it makes for a miserable riding experience. Neither one of my Ventures have been chirpers and ride like Stratoloungers, nice for an old man who will be 60 next month.

I know that you could fill a novel with all the chirp stories and the clutch basket fixes, but if you buy one that does not chirp it will save you a lot of aggravation.

All the best,

Bill

The wife is saying Venture

And we all know when the wife is happy, we're all happy

So it's Venture 10:1

Hopefully we can test drive this weekend in Daytona.

We'll yada yada again if we have any news or questions

Again thanks all

And this is a great place to visit and read and learn.