IGNORED

Stebel Air Horn question/discovery...

Question for those of you out there that have installed the Stebel Air Horn.

Got mine installed today, and its a pretty tight fit.

The upper left edge of the plastic "chrome" is practically touching the exhaust pipe.

I realize this is the shiny cover and not the actual pipe, but it does get hot.

Was wondering if any of you have had trouble with the plastic chrome melting?

Also, in case you were wondering... the "SuperChrome" version of the Stebel is actually just shinier chromed plastic. Looks nice, but still not really chrome. Not exactly what I'd expect for $140. Thought I'd throw that out there for the benefit of others...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the pipes/horn cover.

Bob

Question for those of you out there that have installed the Stebel Air Horn.

Got mine installed today, and its a pretty tight fit.

The upper left edge of the plastic "chrome" is practically touching the exhaust pipe.

I realize this is the shiny cover and not the actual pipe, but it does get hot.

Was wondering if any of you have had trouble with the plastic chrome melting?

Also, in case you were wondering... the "SuperChrome" version of the Stebel is actually just shinier chromed plastic. Looks nice, but still not really chrome. Not exactly what I'd expect for $140. Thought I'd throw that out there for the benefit of others...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the pipes/horn cover.

Bob

Have had mine on since 07 and no damage yet. The only problem I had with mine was the contacts coming off and very little space to put back on. Since I didn't want to be without a horn when needed, I soldered the d@mn things on.

Wolo Bad Boy doesn't seem to fit on my 07 RSTD. !!!!

Just spent the evening wiring it up, then went to mount it and it wont fit in the space.

This is the all chrome (plastic also) Wolo Bad Boy from Harbor Freight

97099-2VGA Bad Boy™ Chrome Dual Air Horn

And I am using the Carbon One adapter.

It hits the muffler shield on the left, the engine on the right and the mount for the old horn in the back.. and the carbon_one adapter doesn't quite reach.

Might be possible to shim it out.. but then it will stick out a ways..

See pic.

Is it possible this model of the Wolo is a bit bigger than the Stebel or other Wolos?

I liked it because it was all Chrome and only $38.. but assumed it was the same size as others.

Anyone try one of these yet?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Bamico.. did the Stebel fit farther in than that?

hmm to answer my own question..

Per these pics..

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2770&title=stebel-horn-bracket&cat=7

I may just need to shim it out some.. and let it sit out over the muffler I suppose

Take a look at this thread especially the last post. Mine fits, but it is tight and no issues so far.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48021

Globewalker,

Yes, the Stebel sticks out beyond the pipes.

The pix that you showed from CarbonOne's instructions are straight on to how my horn fits. It's not in the way at all, but I was surprised at first how far it sticks out.

It is a pretty tight fit. Its wedged in with very slight spacing tolerances, but it does fit.

I am using the CarbonOne bracket and it fits perfectly.

Even has a notch for one of the housings it goes around.

I could see from a later post that a link was sent on shimming out the Wolo to get it to work. Seems like you're on the right track.

Plus, how can you beat the Wolo for the price?

Couple of washers and you're good to go!

Good luck with the new horn.

Bob

Skid,

Yes, I've got CarbonOne's adapter.

Fits perfectly!

Pretty much worked like a template on getting the horn into the 1 spot it would fit.

Have the CarbonOne wiring harness too, but haven't hooked it up yet, was waiting to hear back on the positioning/heat on the pipes question.

From what I've read, it should be plug and play.

Sounds like I'm in good shape!

Bob

Thanks to all for the suggestions and responses.

As always, this site is a wealth of information!

Best site out there IMO.

Little cold snap here in NH today... saw low 30's overnight.

Got snow showers in No. NH this past Sat pm... thats just wrong, wrong, wrong...

Ride safe.

Bob

Well, the width of a Nut and lock washer was enough to shim it out and fit.

Just looks a bit ugly.. kind of disgraces that shiny little bracket holding it on..

See pic.

I'll have to come up with something to cover that or a different Shim.

I wonder why the Carbon One bracket is a perfect fit for some people but not for others..

is it the Wolo (which is supposed to be identical to Stebel)

or is it the RSTD vrs Venture

or is it the 1st Gen vrs 2nd Gen

or is it the phase of the moon

But man is it loud!

I mounted my relay under the side cover just to the left so the original horn wires reach straight to the relay - fits real nicely.

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by Globewalker

Just looks a bit ugly.. kind of disgraces that shiny little bracket holding it on..

See pic.

I wonder why the Carbon One bracket is a perfect fit for some people but not for others..

But man is it loud!

I mounted my relay under the side cover just to the left so the original horn wires reach straight to the relay - fits real nicely.

Thanks for the advice.

Check out my post listed below...I used Carbon Ones' Bracket and Harness...Replaced the bolt and nut that came with the Chrome Wolo with Stainless...ALso per Sleeperhawk PM...I used 5 (five) 5/16th stainless washers between the bracket and horn...

Long Tall in Virginia...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=470249#post470249

See pic.

But man is it loud!

Thanks for the advice.

I think the reason for the fitment problem has more to do with the Wolo not coming with the spacer that Stebel adds to their horn package. Even a few folks have gotten shorted on the spacer with the Stebel too thou. If I recall that black plastic spacer is about 1'2" thick

Larry

I think the reason for the fitment problem has more to do with the Wolo not coming with the spacer that Stebel adds to their horn package. Even a few folks have gotten shorted on the spacer with the Stebel too thou. If I recall that black plastic spacer is about 1'2" thick

Larry

I think your right Larry. I saw what looked like a nice perfectly square shaped spacer in your pics and was wondering if it came with the horn... and it does not with the Wolo.

Maybe you can make your bracket longer so the spacer isn't needed? just a thought for you.

And thanks for the reply LongTall.. I see u had the same issue.

Thanks.

Keith

• 3 months later...

I would like to know if we need a pair of horns to replace the originals horns. If yes, could you tell me if we have to buy the same model for both of them (Stebel) ? What is the model I have to order.

Thanks for your reply. Louis, Québec, Canada

I would like to know if we need a pair of horns to replace the originals horns. If yes, could you tell me if we have to buy the same model for both of them (Stebel) ? What is the model I have to order.

Thanks for your reply. Louis, Québec, Canada

There is nothing wrong with just leaving one of the stock horns alone - it won't be heard under the air horn, but will be a backup in case the air horn fails.

Goose

There is nothing wrong with just leaving one of the stock horns alone - it won't be heard under the air horn, but will be a backup in case the air horn fails.

Goose

My suggestion is to disconnect factory plug from the left lower horn and re-wire it to the Stebel horn relay. Run a 14ga wire from the relay to one terminal on the left lower horn. Run another short wire from the other terminal on the left lower horn to one of the horn mounting bolts for a ground. I was amazed how much louder the stock horn was with the larger wire run to it!!! :thumbsup2:

I am looking forward to someone that has made this modification. As my horns sounds like an old chevy. It appears to be stock but I have done the attention test and when a gentleman on the side of the road running a riding lawn tractor and has ear muffs on Stops and Waves I feel pretty good in the horn department.

I am looking forward to someone that has made this modification. As my horns sounds like an old chevy. It appears to be stock but I have done the attention test and when a gentleman on the side of the road running a riding lawn tractor and has ear muffs on Stops and Waves I feel pretty good in the horn department.

No comparison.. instead of waiving he will leave the tractor to go change his britches!:hihi:

I have my Stebel horn mounted where it is advised at the stock horn location on my 97RSTD. I have lost 2 horns due to mount failer. The mounts are my own as the first one was aluminum L bracket. The 2nd was a chrome steel L bracket.They both cracked and failed at about 1500 miles of hi speed driving. Has any one had this problem? I will buy the mount system that I see sold on this sight.My question is how can be sure to secure the horn.Vibration seems to be a major problem.

Maybe I should look for a new location to mount it.