For those deciding on a drivers backrest. I recently purchased and installed a Bakup backrest. The installation is simple, however, an extra set of hands is helpful to avoid possibly scratching something. The pad matches the stock passenger pad closely and the overall look is clean. Seat adjustment is easy, no tools needed. The backrest is a little pricey, but the quality and look is good. To me, the stock seat is comfortable enough, all it needed was a backrest. I figured I saved $300.00 by not having to buy a Mustang seat with a backrest.

• 1 month later...

I am looking for a new backrest and was wondering about Utopia or Diamond R.

Utopia has one for $189, you have to drill out a couple of holes I guess, and Diamond R has one, but they want $230 for it, but no drilling(not a big deal if I have to drill)

I would just like to know if anybody has either one of these, or which one they would recommend.

The Utopia mounts to the frame, the Diamond-R mounts to the rear fender. I have the Utopia. All you have to do is enlarge 2 holes in plastic so the bolts go through. It is at most, a 10 minute job.

I put a Utopia on mine and do not recall having to drill to enlarge the holes... But, if one would have to, it really isn't that big of a deal. The holes have little plugs in them as is, so don't let that discourage you from the Utopia.

By the way, I've been real happy with mine and it has done WONDERS for my back.

I have the Utopia. Works great and easy install. If you go this way, remember to lay something like an old tag on the fender when you drill out the holes just to make sure the drill doesn't hit the fender. Very easy install.

The Diamond R is a bolt on, goes in front of the passenger seat using the 2 bolt mounts that hold the seat onto the frame. It is a excellent backrest as I have had one on my RSV's in the past. Allen and Patti are great folks to deal with and donate a lot to this site, I fully recommend them.

The Utopia is a nice backrest also, and this is the one that you might have to drill to install. I like the fact also that Diamond R's matches the pillowtop seats perfectly.

Tpalshadow....this is for the 2nd gens, your limited to try and find a backrest for your 1st gen on ebay or possibly a member here. You also might want to consider looking for a Travelcade seat with a built in backrest. I do have one of those that needs to be recovered if your interested.

Tpalshadow....this is for the 2nd gens, your limited to try and find a backrest for your 1st gen on ebay or possibly a member here. You also might want to consider looking for a Travelcade seat with a built in backrest. I do have one of those that needs to be recovered if your interested.

Yeah, I have a buddy who is looking for one for the 2nd gen.

I would be interested in the one in need of recovery...pm me with some details if you don't mind!

I just installed a Utopia backrest minutes ago. You have to enlarge two holes to 9/32". I took a small piece of 1x4 wood to keep the drill bit from accidentally hitting the rear fender. Took me longer to read the instructions (look at the pictures..lol) and get the tools together than actually installing the backrest.

Now I have to adjust it to suit my height. I've heard that if your tall, it should be positioned as low as possible so that is what I did. I'll probably fiddle with the adjustments a bit until I get it just right.

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/marinerfan/default/large-msg-127593575986.jpg

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/marinerfan/default/large-msg-127593477354.jpg

I am looking at both the Utopia and Diamond R driver's backrest....I know that they both adjust forward and rearward but the Utopia one looks like it's a little more difficult to adjust. Can anyone tell me how easy or difficult it is to adjust either of these?

Thanks...

Dee