IGNORED

Triumph Sold Out!

Guest muskrat

Guest muskrat

Boy! What a disappointment. Been hearing for some time about a new touring model Triumph was doing based on the Rocket platform. Lot's of secrecy and anticipation. What a disappointment when I actually saw what they did. The end result looks like every other main stream cruiser on the market. They even abandoned the dual headlight which gave it a distinctive look and went to single headlight.

Reports are it rides very well - only thing on the bike linked to the original Rocket is the motor. New frame, suspension, tires, brakes, etc. - completely redone for better rideability - but the styling is boring IMHO. They had a chance to take a really cool platform and do something unique (not as unique as Victory, hopefully) but you get the point. Unfortunately, while the bike may rock and ride very well - the styling is plain old mainstream.

Very disappointed - think Triumph missed an opportunity.

OK...according the that article the price is 17,999 pounds...so that is about $26,000 USD. For a cruiser with a shield and bags? No thanks. I do like the looks and would love to take one for a ride but that is MUCH higher than a RSV, Wing, or Ultra Classic without ANY of the goodies.

Guest muskrat

Good point - it does look kind of like the Valkyrie Tourer - had one of those once and it was awesome bike. With that perspective, I think I might have to reconsider - but with Freebird's posts about the proposed cost - NO WAY. The current Rocket III Classic which has windscreen, leather bags, sissy bar and floor boards - can be had at dealerships for about $16,700. I know they redesigned from a ride perspective - the biggest change being frame, suspension and 180 rear tire rather than 240 which gives better handling - but same engine - and all they did is added hard bags instead of leathers - and price would go up that much? I don't think so. They will have hard time in this market if that is truly where their pricing points will end up.

I rode the current Rocket at a dealership - and that bike will definitely get up and go.

I don't think the pricing is correct. They show 12,999 I think and they show the symbol for the British Pound. BUT...they also say that it's about 400 pounds more than the current Rocket III. Maybe they are showing the price in Euros but using the British Pound symbol. If they REALLY mean the Euro, then that would make it in the $18,000.00 range which sounds a lot closer to me.

Still...I would like to see it in a full dresser style with travel trunk, audio system, intercom, fairing, etc. Now THAT is one that I could get excited about.

I would love to ride one. I also found an older article where they tested it against the VMAX and it did very well. Not twice the engine of a VMAX well but still very nice.

Hi,

i read the Article and it stated the Prices with 12799.00 GBP on the Road, 400 GBP more than a RocketIII.

Don, i don't think you can just plain convert the Price from GBP to USD. They know that after conversion, the Price would be far out of Range. They will lower the US Price, like all the other Manufacuters do. It's an old Game, the USD is weak nowerdays, the GBP is getting stronger, Euro is very strong these Days and will be for next Year also. Not politics meant, it's just an economic Fact.

My local Triumph dealer went to the dealer show in Atlanta, Ga. last weekend and rode it. Said its nice. MSRP is 16,999 U.S. Thats with everything. Cruiser magazine did a first ride review. What I thought was interesting was an 2008 Harley first ride and it showed it with the 2 headlights,like the old Rocket III.

I do get to ride the all the demos my dealer gets,so its nice to compare.

I don't think they "sold out". From what I understand all those "touring-type" parts are available from their accessory catalog. What they did was give owners all that at a price that was less than what they woulda spent buying it piecemeal. I read somewhere that many Rocket III owners wanted mild touring capability.

I think Triumph actually listened to their customers. WOW! Imagine that... ;)

Don, i love that Article ..

"Where does that put our beloved, if aging, V-Max? Way back in '85, our test bike ran a 10.67 at 128.1 mph, and we've seen similar times over the intervening 20 years. Changes have been limited to a bigger fork, a slightly quieter muffler, better brakes and a succession of paint schemes. In the interests of scientific honesty, we admit that our last V-Max strip session actually put the V-Max a gnat's eyelash slower than the Rocket, with a 11.30 at 119.84 corrected run. The two monsters were essentially equal from zero to 60—the V-Max was a couple tenths faster to 100 mph, and the Rocket fired from 60 to 80 mph about half a second quicker. We know that many standard Maxes have gone quicker and faster. And of course, there's a 20-year stockpile of go-faster parts available for V-Max addicts—which they can afford, since the basic Max sells for almost five grand less than a Rocket."

I know about a street Race, were a fairly sophisticated Rocket, with 20 Percent less Weight, unlimited ECU and other Improvements won for 5 or 6 Yards on a 1/8 Miles Run. Against a nearly stock VMax with only a Stage1 Jetset mounted ... If the Vmax Guy would have managed to keep the Wheel on the Ground, the Rocket would have been ashamed.

And, reading about the US Price with some 17000.00 USD, i know it would come up that way ....

I don't think they "sold out". From what I understand all those "touring-type" parts are available from their accessory catalog. What they did was give owners all that at a price that was less than what they woulda spent buying it piecemeal. I read somewhere that many Rocket III owners wanted mild touring capability.

I think Triumph actually listened to their customers. WOW! Imagine that... ;)

I'm not sure about that. I did some searching last night on some of the Triumph sites and it seems that a lot of them are very unhappy with the final product. There had been a lot of spy shots, rumors, etc. that showed the bike with full touring gear and there are 2 or 3 companies already offering fairings, bags, trunks and etc. for the Rocket. Corbin is one but there is at least one more that I know of. At any rate, whether you build it into a true touring bike from the Triumph accessories or from the after market, you would then have a TON of money invested. $1600.00 for the fairing along, probably $600 at least for the trunk...audio system...etc......

Not sure what the total would be but not sure it would end up being competitive with the Ultra or the Wing and of course not even close to the Venture.

Not sure what all the accessories will be. The bike is not even shown on the Triumph websites yet and apparently not due to hit the dealerships until January.

Don, i love that Article ..

"Where does that put our beloved, if aging, V-Max? Way back in '85, our test bike ran a 10.67 at 128.1 mph, and we've seen similar times over the intervening 20 years. Changes have been limited to a bigger fork, a slightly quieter muffler, better brakes and a succession of paint schemes. In the interests of scientific honesty, we admit that our last V-Max strip session actually put the V-Max a gnat's eyelash slower than the Rocket, with a 11.30 at 119.84 corrected run. The two monsters were essentially equal from zero to 60—the V-Max was a couple tenths faster to 100 mph, and the Rocket fired from 60 to 80 mph about half a second quicker. We know that many standard Maxes have gone quicker and faster. And of course, there's a 20-year stockpile of go-faster parts available for V-Max addicts—which they can afford, since the basic Max sells for almost five grand less than a Rocket."

I know about a street Race, were a fairly sophisticated Rocket, with 20 Percent less Weight, unlimited ECU and other Improvements won for 5 or 6 Yards on a 1/8 Miles Run. Against a nearly stock VMax with only a Stage1 Jetset mounted ... If the Vmax Guy would have managed to keep the Wheel on the Ground, the Rocket would have been ashamed.

And, reading about the US Price with some 17000.00 USD, i know it would come up that way ....

Yea, I really enjoyed the article. I think it's a great tribute to the VMAX that it runs right along beside a bike with an engine almost twice the size. On the other hand, it is also interesting to see a big and heavy bike that could make a great touring machine that will actually run with a VMAX.

.... On the other hand, it is also interesting to see a big and heavy bike that could make a great touring machine that will actually run with a VMAX.

But on the next Tought, what do you believe would happen if you put a slightly bigger, maybe 1420 cc Vmax-Motor, togehter with EFI and some for middle Rpm Range and Torque setted Cams togehter ?? In a Venture be it either a 1st or 2nd Gen, what you prefer ....

That would, no Doubt, dust the Rocket and leave their Rider crying behind ....

I just got my motorcycle cruiser maz in the mail today and it does have a pic of the new Triumph, they are calling it Rocket 3 touring, It`s looks sweet to me, cruiser mag had lot`s of pic`s but no price, they say it has 106 hp@5400 rpm and 154 ft of torque @2000 rpm.

I think it is a great looking bike, but that is why I love my 98 RS Tour classic II.

Yes, that would be nice too. Why stop there though, I say make it a 1800CC and remove all doubt. :)

The thing is though, Triumph is making it come true already...Yamaha...???

Well, the new Engine will surface, i'm in no more Doubts anymore. But in which Bike ? I don't want to speculate about it. But the Fairing in one of these leaked Drawings says something.

1800cc in a Vmax/Venture Engine is very hard to make it happen .... but not impossible ...

see the Attachment ....

This is more of what I would be looking for. :) This is after market but is more in line of what I would want for a touring bike.

http://www.rocketdragsport.com/

By the way, here are just a couple of MANY comments that I found in a busy Triumph forum. Seems that VentureRiders aren't the only ones who feel that we aren't heard by the manufacturers.

"Oh Great! A Rocket3 with aftermarket hard bags and a Memphis Shades screen modified with a RotoZip saw and some sheetmetal from grandma's chicken house - of course the Buick/Lamborgini radiator remains intact. Thanks Triumph! Exactly the touring bike I've dreamed of (Harlie copy?).

I am beginning to believe that a camel is a horse, designed by an engineer (sorry, Benny).

AND, I believe a BMW is in our future. "

and another one

"OK... fine.... I'll talk about it...

Triumph doesnt get it!!! They needed to come out with a real touring cruiser. One with a full faring that includes all the gadgets of other touring cruisers. One with a queen.king seat. One with a tri-hard bag set-up. But nooooo, all they did was put a single headlight on it, that is very dumb. I know a couple people that really like the R3, but they bought HD or a Venture because they take off with their wives for a couple weeks at a time and they need to have all the creature comforts of those other touring cruisers."

Now gentlemen,, THIS thread is one of the reasons that I cant stay away from this site!! THANKS GUYS! Not to get you guys off track in your conversation but here is another spin...

First off I spent some time yacking with the Victory folks about the new Vision recently.. I was intriqued to hear them tell me that they are aiming at the high end buyers - folks with 6 digit incomes and up - and that is why all the extremes in design on the Vision...

Now,,, I am by no means even close to that category of a buyer BUT I do a fair amount of business with bikers who are in that category and I actually laughed when I was told that...

That being said,, I can actually see the Trumpet fitting into the groove that the folks at Polaris are chasing.. IMHO, That big motored, V-Max competitive scoot could very well get the attention of the upper cruster..

It would be real interesting to see the Rocket get full touring dress,, it certainly has the lines and the umpph to be a competitor with our long distance runners.. It will be very interesting to see what kind of reliability it comes with..

I also cant help but wonder what kinda real world MPG's that 3 banger will get?? Great reading and very interesting comments to this point!

'Puc