IGNORED

Tire mileage? New thread

2007 RSV, I'm the 2nd owner. PO replaced the rear (Dunlop 404) at about 17,000 mi. and I just replaced the front at 18,700 mi. The front had some life yet, but starting on a fairly long jaunt (about 850 miles) and it was almost down to the wear bars. I chose to replace with the original Dunlop 404 since that is what the PO put on the rear.

Just curious about tire wear results on similar model and year , being aware that riding style can easily effect tire life. I know that there are a kazillion opinons on tires , but it does give us something to discuss.

Mel:Venture:

I got about 14000 on my oem 404's and decided that was good enough for the price. S0--- I went back with 404's and got only 6000 on the rear!:thumbdown:Replaced the rear with a Dunlap E3 which gets better reviews. I was really disappointed in the rear 404 replacement.

I'd be jumping up and down if I could get 8000 out of any tire. Last Dunlop 404 )emergency replacement) netted me 3200 miles. Mettzler 880's have been around 6-6500. Dunlop elite 2 and Avon were both wearing a little better but the e-2 had a sidewall tear and the Avon a nail.

My riding partners all get about the same and we think the chip seal has a lot to do with it. My car tire was doing much better till it broke a belt.

My buddies think I have crap luck with tires....they're right!:mugshot:

I got about 14000 on my oem 404's and decided that was good enough for the price. S0--- I went back with 404's and got only 6000 on the rear!:thumbdown:Replaced the rear with a Dunlap E3 which gets better reviews. I was really disappointed in the rear 404 replacement.

Ditto exacly the same for me except I replaced my rear with a Michelin Commander. Hoping to get back to the 12-14000 mile mark again.

On my third set of skin's - oem and 2nd set were D404 www, and got around 20k out of each. Third time found great deal on a Metzler 880 www and a D404 www rear. Have @ 10k on each now and they're wearing fine. The 880 front seems to have a quicker turn-in. Just my :2cents:.

I bought my used 2006 Midnight which came with what might well have been OEM original 404 on them.. worn and scalloped.. I thought the front scalloping was due to low pressures the previous owners kept it at but turned out to be a loose neck bearing..

I replaced those with E3 tires and have had great usage out of them..

This pair has over 25,000 miles on them.. with a lot of tread left to go..

You're right, driving conditions and user maintenance have a lot to do with it. I love the Dunlops for everything EXCEPT the RSV. I am a true believer in the ME880's for my '99, and got over 15K on my last set. Lot of guys here don't like the Metzlers, but I don't argue with performance that good. I keep the front tire at 40 and the rear at 42 (cold), and my rear shock at 25 psi when riding solo and at 38 when riding 2-up. I also keep the front shocks at 0. Getting ready to install the leveling links as well, so hopefully that will make the handling a little better which should translate into even longer tread wear.

:2cents:

You're right, driving conditions and user maintenance have a lot to do with it. I love the Dunlops for everything EXCEPT the RSV. I am a true believer in the ME880's for my '99, and got over 15K on my last set. Lot of guys here don't like the Metzlers, but I don't argue with performance that good. I keep the front tire at 40 and the rear at 42 (cold), and my rear shock at 25 psi when riding solo and at 38 when riding 2-up. I also keep the front shocks at 0. Getting ready to install the leveling links as well, so hopefully that will make the handling a little better which should translate into even longer tread wear.

I absolutely LOVED the ME880s on my 1100 VStar but never thought of putting them on the RSV.. they are a fatter tire thus might make the bike a little slower to handle, not taking into account all the stories of tread separation etc.. I used to get well over 30,000 miles out of a set of ME880s on my VStar. I went for the E3s on the RSV as it was highly recommended by many here..

I tend to like a stiffer suspension to carry my assets around.. I find it better for cornering and stopping.. Nose Diving at stops and wallowing in turns aren't fun.

You're going to absolutely enjoy the leveling links.

One thing I learned recently about this bike is that it likes the weight in the front of the centre of gravity.. might seem trivial but even after the leveling links I wasn't getting the full potential out of the bike until someone suggested I sit up and more forward on the seat.. I tend to sit back and slouch while riding. We're not saying having to move a whole lot but when in the parking lot and slow ride maneuvers, sitting up and leaning forward just a tad will greatly improve the handling on top of what the links give you.. Quite impressive. Just a little bit forward, barely noticeable.. but a huge difference.. ;)

when we got our 04 RSV, it has the duns 404 up and bak. the rear caught a rivet and slow leaked flat. i replaced it with an E3. i have about 800 miles on it. it rides nicely and is good in the easy curves of louisiana. it rode good in some pretty good twisties on Hwy 87 bordering Toledo Bend Lake in Texas on the way to our camp. the front is good and i have about 3 thou miles on it since i have had it. i don't know at what mileage the previous owner installed the 404's, but he put them on due to price.

when the front wears down, i will see if the E3 comes in the skinny tire size. too many folks have stated how much nicer this bike handles with the skinny front tire. I will see what happens.

i do ride easier since gas and tires cost more these days, but i do have fun.

when we got our 04 RSV, it has the duns 404 up and bak. the rear caught a rivet and slow leaked flat. i replaced it with an E3. i have about 800 miles on it. it rides nicely and is good in the easy curves of louisiana. it rode good in some pretty good twisties on Hwy 87 bordering Toledo Bend Lake in Texas on the way to our camp. the front is good and i have about 3 thou miles on it since i have had it. i don't know at what mileage the previous owner installed the 404's, but he put them on due to price.

when the front wears down, i will see if the E3 comes in the skinny tire size. too many folks have stated how much nicer this bike handles with the skinny front tire. I will see what happens.

i do ride easier since gas and tires cost more these days, but i do have fun.

Skinny tires MAY help in the handling at low speeds but they catch the road snakes a lot easier.. up here in the northern climes, the road snakes come out each year and can throw a scare at you. I'll be down in your neck of the woods this month and will check out the roads you guys get to enjoy.. hopefully a lot nice than our winter wrecked roads..

Cheers

Last year I went 4000 miles on new Dunlop 404 rear. After looking at them before this season I new it would need replaced within 500-1000 miles so I ordered Michelin Commanders from the Motorcycle Superstore. They are running some kind of sale right now. Rear $111.99 and front $99.99 shipped free.

I thought that the mileage that I got was not as great as all of the other Dunlop 404's from the past. I have an 2003 Midnight venture that got about the same results. No more Dunlop's for me. I thought I saw somewhere that they were made in India. Maybe that is the reason they wear faster. Inferior product?????

Speed, Heat, & concrete will cause a tire to where more then it should. Stay off the Super Slab! You will get better Gas Milage & longer tire whear & see better country. Just whon't get there as fast.

Don't get me wrong! I like speed to, But those 3 things don't like bike tires.:2cents:

I've been getting 30's from the me880's. I'm not sure if I can explain this properly, but, I have noticed, that on the rear tire the inner tab's start to raise long before the treads are worn. My wife's bike doesn't seem to have the same problem. (same tread pattern) But she and her bike are a lot lighter. So it must be improper pressure?? Any thoughts as to the pressure I should be using? (rstd)

Mark