IGNORED

looking for 1 used first gen carb slide.

Needed 1 used first gen carb slide.

If any one has 1 old but usable carb slider for an 83 first gen Smaller bore than the 2nd gen. , can you PM me. skydoc_17 put me on to a problem i was having and sure enough he was dead on (as usual :) ). I had one slide come loose and was not opening all the way. superglue repair and carb sync and its a new beast. all the rest of mine are OK but the chipped up one , and I hate to run it (even though it runs great now) with it knowing its condition. let me know. thanks.

picture.php?albumid=649&pictureid=4105

Maindog

try this contact

smorrisrn@aol.com

i checked with him last year $65 each and i think thats with the rubber bellows

the list price is about $150 each

i didn't get any from him because i am short on cash and i want to replace all 4 of mine when i do.

i was able to repair mine and their working for now.

Needed 1 used first gen carb slide.

If any one has 1 old but usable carb slider for an 83 first gen Smaller bore than the 2nd gen. , can you PM me. skydoc_17 put me on to a problem i was having and sure enough he was dead on (as usual :) ). I had one slide come loose and was not opening all the way. superglue repair and carb sync and its a new beast. all the rest of mine are OK but the chipped up one , and I hate to run it (even though it runs great now) with it knowing its condition. let me know. thanks.

picture.php?albumid=649&pictureid=4105

PM me I think I may be able to help.

thanks to skydoc_17 for enlightening me on the years that will work.

it seems that only the 83 to 85 carb slides will work, :( thank you for those who offered up the gen 2 models but the mk1 has 28mm slide bores and the mk2 has 32mm. so the hunt goes on. I lost a couple of flea-bay auctions on some complete used carb sets but keep getting outbid at the last min. :( . If i do manage to get a set and ne1 needs parts from them just let me know. until then the hunt continues.

• 3 months later...
thanks to skydoc_17 for enlightening me on the years that will work.

it seems that only the 83 to 85 carb slides will work, :( thank you for those who offered up the gen 2 models but the mk1 has 28mm slide bores and the mk2 has 32mm. so the hunt goes on.

I thought the 83-85 slides were the same shaft diameter as the 86+ ones. The only difference is the size of the vent hole at the bottom of the 83-85 being smaller in diameter).

Hey Mike,

The MKI VR (1983 to 1985) with the 1200c.c. engine use a smaller set of Carbs. than the MKII VR (1986 to 1993) with the 1300c.c. engine. The Diaphragm is the same for all of the First Gen. VR's but the sliders are different.

I hope this clears this up for you mike,:thumbsup2:

Earl

Hey Mike,

The MKI VR (1983 to 1985) with the 1200c.c. engine use a smaller set of Carbs. than the MKII VR (1986 to 1993) with the 1300c.c. engine. The Diaphragm is the same for all of the First Gen. VR's but the sliders are different.

I hope this clears this up for you mike,:thumbsup2:

Earl

Earl-

Sorry about the delay in responding - but I am confused. I accidentally busted a slide on an 87 Yamaha XV535 about a week ago. I had a reglued 1300 Venture slide with a good diaphragm which I installed. The exterior dimensions of both slides were identical - i.e., slide diameter and length. The only difference that I could tell was a difference in the size of the vent hole at the bottom of the slide - with the XV535 slide's vent hole being noticeably smaller than the 1300's (rough measurement- vent hole diameter on the 535 is about 0.092 inches and the 1300s is about 0.139 inches. Somewhere in an old post, someone said the vent hole diameter for a 1200 slide was 0.094 inches so it is probably the same as the size of the 535's vent hole and the slight difference is in how the measurements were taken).

The slide from the 1300, including the diaphragm, seems to fit perfectly in the Virago and the little 535 seems to be running fine - maybe a little more time for the power curve to kick in at wide open throttle. It probably no worse than having a few diaphragm holes but at least it is back on the road. I thought of plugging the vent hole with plastic weld and redrilling with a 3/32 drill bit but haven't gotten to it yet.

When I went looking for the correct replacement slide for a friend's 1200 online about a month ago , it seems that the replacement part for the 1200 was the same as for a 535 - which is why I thought the 1200 and 1300 parts had the same diameter slide. (The rationale - if the 535 and the 1200 are the same part number; the dimensions of the 535 and the 1300 measured out to be the same, wouldn't the dimensions of the 1200 and the 1300 be the same too?)

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-41R-14940-00-00.html

So am I missing something?

In any case, do you have any ideas where to get some inexpensive 1200 slides and another one for the 535?

My "out of the box" thinking is that there must be another Japanese motorcycle manufacturer that used the same carb (Mikuni BDS34 ??) and if so, their replacement slide should work in our old Yamahas even though they may not be exactly the same. I know Suzuki used this same Mikuni carb body on the Suzuki Intruder Volusia about 10 years ago and I thought they were used on some Yamaha snowmobiles as well. So instead of $100 or more for a single carb slide, there may be a suitable slide replacement available for much less - if we can only figure out the right part numbers. Am I on to something here? Hey, I can dream can't I?

I have a guy near me parting out a Virago 535. Which does have the same slides as our 1200s. The bike only has about 22k. I will be checking out the carbs this saturday on 9/4 .

Send me a PM or email me, If anyone wants a 1200 slide for far less than new...

• 2 weeks later...