IGNORED

Synthetic Oil?????

Guest sarge414

Guest sarge414

Hello All,

I have a 07 midnight venture and am ready for my 3rd service and I am considering going to Amsoil. People around home have been saying good things 'bout Amsoil and I am wondering what you all think of synthetic oils in your rides, especially Amsoil???

Another concern is Yamaha's warranty with using Amsoil. My dealer just told me that Yamaha is coming out with a total synthetic oil within the month or so. Any input would be appreciated, especially from you all that have been using the synthetics.

Thanks,

Sarge414

"Ride Always and Always Ride Safe!!!!"

Amsoil is a high grade oil and will do a good job. I would not run it as long as they say you can about 5k max on oil changes. Make sure you use the motorcycle specific grade. Yamaha can not void your warranty for using any oil that meets there recommended minimum specifications and is changed at there recommended intervals. I don't personally think it is worth the price. Synthetic oils in general are a better lubricant than petroleum base oils. I run mobile1 synthetic in mine because it has been proven with hundreds of tests over 30 years to be the best motor oil made for half the price of amsoil.

Sarge, Yamaha is coming out with a total new line of oil. Our local yamaha shop had a manitance day and we were told about it. I asked the same question and he said to wait because the new oil line will be real oil and syntheic together. Hope this helps. Also he said we should be using the new 20w50 that is coimg out. He said it will make them quiter.

Sarge, Yamaha is coming out with a total new line of oil. Our local yamaha shop had a manitance day and we were told about it. I asked the same question and he said to wait because the new oil line will be real oil and syntheic together. Hope this helps. Also he said we should be using the new 20w50 that is coimg out. He said it will make them quiter.

Hmmm... a 20w50 Syn/blend makes the bike whine less? I'll have to test that. KitCarson was just posting about the engine whine and various oil blends. Maybe he really was onto something.

There are a LOT of synthetic blends on the market. I have never been a fan of them but some folks use it. I'll stick with my Mobil 1 thank you.

I assume that they are saying the thicker oil might make it run quieter. Some have done that for some time now with varying reports on how much it helps.

I have been using Amsoil for many years in a lot of different bikes. I have never had a problem. I would not run the bike as long before changing as Amsoil suggest. I change at 5000 no longer than 60000. I ride a lot of miles stop and go and free way. My experience is the bikes I have owned have always been quieter when I used Amsoil.

Hello All,

I have a 07 midnight venture and am ready for my 3rd service and I am considering going to Amsoil. People around home have been saying good things 'bout Amsoil and I am wondering what you all think of synthetic oils in your rides, especially Amsoil???

Another concern is Yamaha's warranty with using Amsoil. My dealer just told me that Yamaha is coming out with a total synthetic oil within the month or so. Any input would be appreciated, especially from you all that have been using the synthetics.

Thanks, Sarge414

Everyone has their favorite oil; mine is Amsoil 10W-40--the MC blend, now that it is available--but the regular 10W-40 works just as well (IMO). I now have 97k miles on the Rhino and it has been using Amsoil 10W-40 since the clock showed 3k miles. I change the oil and filter every 8k miles. Occasionally, I send in an oil sample for analysis and the results always tells me I can continue to use the same oil. (It's too late though because I've already changed it!) :rotf:

Yamaha may be coming out with sythetic oil, but I'll bet you a 6-pack of doughnuts that Yamaha isn't making it, just relabeling another product. :stirthepot:

Put in the Amsoil!!!!

I found several products in the Amsoil catalog that will work in a wet clutch application.

10W-40 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCF)

20W-50 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCV)

Formula 4-Stroke® 10W-30/SAE 30 Small Engine Oil (ASE)

Formula 4-Stroke® PowerSports 0W-40 (AFF)

Formula 4-Stroke® 10W-40 Synthetic Scooter Oil (ASO)

I put the ASE oil in my bike. I dont have the dreaded "clutch churp" so I went with a thinner oil.

I also used the EAOM102 filter.

Just check the back (or maybe front) (look for the little circle) of the jug of oil. If it says energy conserving, dont put it in your bike.

Amsoil is finally available at Canadian Tire here in Brandon.....14 bucks a litre!!! I dont think so TIM!!

I get my oil by the gallon whenever I'm in the states or whenever someone I know can bring me a jug of it.

Its 48 bucks a gallon for mobil here....got 4 gallons down south for 20 bucks a gallon.....thats a huge savings.

BigBob from Saskechewan runs diesel engine oil in his 05...no problems and he has from day one.

You have to be careful because some synthetics will make the clutch slip. I have been using Castrol 20/50 for years and have had really good luck with it.

Any oil that says "Energy Conserving" in the API circle on the back of the bottle can cause the clutch to slip, it has nothing to do with being synthetic!

All the Amsoil studies say Amsoil is best, all the Mobil 1 studies say Mobil 1 is best, all the Motul sudies say Motul is best.. Do I need to go on?

I have only seen one independent, non-oil commany affilitated study. It was done by a Camaro hot rod club. They took a modern Camaro and did a change with Amsoil and ran it until the oil did not pass a full oil analysis. Testing every 3k and adding oil when necessary. It went around 12k and needed a quart and a half add in that time.

They did the same with Mobil 1 and it went around 15k and needed a half quart add during the test.

Good quality dino oil lasted about 8k.

Mobil 1 is a lot cheaper than Amsoil but both are very good. I used "non-energy conserving" Mobil 1 auto oil on my last 3 bikes. On the Venture I use Mobil 1 20w-50 motorcycle oil. I figured as much as I spent on the bike I could spring for motorcycle oil.

Guest sarge414

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I decided I am going to try the Amsoil 10-40 MC oil and picked up a gallon today at the local MC shop. Thanks again.

Sarge414

"Ride Always and Always Ride Safe!!!"