IGNORED

Venture 1999 to 2010 differences

Guest RichG

Guest RichG

I appreciate the responses from all of you about the performance of the 2nd gen Venture in my last question.

Unfortunately the 2008 I was looking at was sold before I got it. :snow:

I found a 2000 that seems to be in very good condition with relatively low miles for cheap.

The questions is; are there any differences or changes that were made as the 2nd gen progressed from the beginning to today?

Thank You

Rich

99 would get cracks in the bottom of the trunk where the bolts went through the bottom in the back. I'm not sure if they corrected that in 2000 or 2001. If the trunk, under the mat doesn't have 2 rectangular pieces of metal at the back, see attached photo, then you'll have to buy the pieces and put them in. If it doesn't have them make sure there are no cracks in the trunk bottom.

Guest RichG

That's it?????????????

The more I look at the RSV the more I like it. I can't wait to get mine! http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif

Rich

99 would get cracks in the bottom of the trunk where the bolts went through the bottom in the back. I'm not sure if they corrected that in 2000 or 2001. If the trunk, under the mat doesn't have 2 rectangular pieces of metal at the back, see attached photo, then you'll have to buy the pieces and put them in. If it doesn't have them make sure there are no cracks in the trunk bottom.

My '02 got a new trunk because of the lack of the supports.

that is it, paint, pillow top seats now on all models, 09 and 10 came with CD changer, not an option. Otherwise how do you improve on perfection :stirthepot::stirthepot:

Yeah, yeah, I know you are stirring the pot, but the comment strikes a cord for me, seeing as from 99 to 2008 when compared to a comparable Harley the Royal Stars always came up getting better reviews, but now they don't, since Harley made the changes in 09 to their touring line. It seems updates are way over due.

That's it?????????????

The more I look at the RSV the more I like it. I can't wait to get mine! http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif

Rich

There is a 2005 Midnight Venture on the Fort Myers Craigslist with 2500 miles for $9000 obo. Thats a pretty good deal if you are still looking. If I remember correct though, I think you prefer a different color than the black. I can tell you from experience the midnights are PIA to keep clean (but look really nice when they are).

rstddog

My 2000 MM needs the trunk metal plates.

Is there anyone selling these plates for the trunk? I looked on ebay and didn't see any kits. Also looked in the forum classified. Or do I need to order them from Yamaha?

My 2000 MM needs the trunk metal plates.

Is there anyone selling these plates for the trunk? I looked on ebay and didn't see any kits. Also looked in the forum classified. Or do I need to order them from Yamaha?

You can get them at Parts shark and other parts places. They really aren't that expensive compared to the price of a new trunk bottom.

I posted a post a long time ago that had all the parts and part number in it. I'll see if I can find it.

Here's the post with the numbers:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=363477&postcount=3

Edited by gibvel

You can get them at Parts shark and other parts places. They really aren't that expensive compared to the price of a new trunk bottom.

I posted a post a long time ago that had all the parts and part number in it. I'll see if I can find it.

Here's the post with the numbers:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=363477&postcount=3

Thanks. I see them on Parts Shark.

The trunk on my newly acquired 2000 MM is cracked around the bolts. Its not falling apart (yet). I was thinking (per suggestion from Steve Wagner) to slop some epoxy over the cracks, and then bolt the plates down into the epoxy. I see however that the plates can be ordered with rubber gaskets.

So I have 2 choices.

1. epoxy, dry & cure & sand, rubber gasket, plate

2. epoxy and while still wet lay in the plates and bolt them in.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks. I see them on Parts Shark.

The trunk on my newly acquired 2000 MM is cracked around the bolts. Its not falling apart (yet). I was thinking (per suggestion from Steve Wagner) to slop some epoxy over the cracks, and then bolt the plates down into the epoxy. I see however that the plates can be ordered with rubber gaskets.

So I have 2 choices.

1. epoxy, dry & cure & sand, rubber gasket, plate

2. epoxy and while still wet lay in the plates and bolt them in.

Any thoughts on this?

I believe the rubber gaskets actually absorb more of the shocks so, personally, if it were me, I'd want the rubber in there.

Others may have different thoughts on the whole thing.

Just had another thought. I wonder if the rubber is in there for expansion and contraction issues with the heat during the summer. Just a thought :2cents: