IGNORED

Anyone have an exhaust collector for sale?

You are right!!! I recently bought a whole 84 with busted 2nd gear for parts like this but it's too nice to part out so my buddy is riding it, shifting around 2nd gear. He's praying to the pope that I can get a collector, otherwise his ride becomes the parts bike it was intended to be.......

Anybody here who can help my friend keep his ride????? :Venture:

It'll be easier to fix that 2nd gear than it will be to find that collector........

More like, it will be much easier to fix that collector rattle, than to find one.

Pull the collector, open the bottom, remove the broken baffle & weld it back up.....

Done, now put tthe fixed collector back in.

Do a search in the 1st gen tech section about 2nd gear repair. A couple of write-ups and I can send some pics on how to undercut the dogs on 5th gear and the slots on 2nd gear. It'll be bullet proof after that.

I'd personally like to buy all the bikes that have 2nd gear issues that guys are buying for parts bikes or to part out, fix them and return them to duty. It's such an easy fix, nothing but a few gaskets and maybe some o-rings to replace while you're in there. A good weekend, starting on Friday night, might have it done by late Sunday night. Shame to tear such beasts down for parts. JMHO

:rant:

Dan

Don't worry, I don't have the heart to part out the 84, it runs and looks far too good. For $350 bucks I thought I was buying a basket case but lo and behold other than 2nd gear it's in better shape than my 88 which I have far more$ tied up in. Looks like the 88 will be down for a couple of weeks while I do the fix. With my schedule I get far too little time to do bike maintenance.

Do a search in the 1st gen tech section about 2nd gear repair. A couple of write-ups and I can send some pics on how to undercut the dogs on 5th gear and the slots on 2nd gear. It'll be bullet proof after that.

I'd personally like to buy all the bikes that have 2nd gear issues that guys are buying for parts bikes or to part out, fix them and return them to duty. It's such an easy fix, nothing but a few gaskets and maybe some o-rings to replace while you're in there. A good weekend, starting on Friday night, might have it done by late Sunday night. Shame to tear such beasts down for parts. JMHO

:rant:

Dan

I agree completely, but I do still like to get good parts off ebay sometimes.

I did the undercut about 10 or so years ago and if I had replaced the thrust washer with a new hardened one, it would still be in the bike. But, it began to rattle while on the sidestand, after about 60K miles and I just pulled it apart and put an 86 trans in it. Muffinman now has my old gearset. Not a lot of expense, but some detailed work to undercut.

Now I am looking to upgrade to a RSV trans I have bought.

RandyA

More like, it will be much easier to fix that collector rattle, than to find one.

Pull the collector, open the bottom, remove the broken baffle & weld it back up.....

Done, now put tthe fixed collector back in.

Has anyone tried just leaning the bike over on the crash bars (with padding of course) and then cut the hole in the collector while it is still on the bike? I kinda think there just may be enuff room and then you dont have to fight with thos pesky exhaust fittings.

As I remember you fought with mine for a looonngg time on the back side of the engine, and invented a whole new language...lol

Brian

Has anyone tried just leaning the bike over on the crash bars (with padding of course) and then cut the hole in the collector while it is still on the bike? I kinda think there just may be enuff room and then you dont have to fight with thos pesky exhaust fittings.

As I remember you fought with mine for a looonngg time on the back side of the engine, and invented a whole new language...lol

Brian

Mother has laid his over on tires, to get at it... Yours was the tightest, that I have seen to date. A b**ch to get off, even with using leverage, but average to reinstall.

Guest Swifty

Done, now put the fixed collector back in.

I did it, took these pictures on Saturday, haven't got it back on the bike yet to see if the rattle went away though. I had all the same cracks as were posted in the tech library thread, and my collector was only 4 years old...mind you, with more than twice the miles on it than the first one had.

As for the talk about how difficult it was to get the collector off...very easy (even for me!)...4 attach points (2 accessed at an angle from the rear holding it to the headers, and near the front of the collector holding it to the engine case) and it fell straight down, no problem. The rear headers, which I've also taken off, were another story altogether requiring a totally different language. If they go back in the way I think they should, now that I know which way to jig and jag them, I'll translate the language and post it.:think:

Edited by Swifty

Let's try this link. I THINK we finally figured out that the links don't work if you are logged into ebay when you copy and paste.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=130386468619&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3907.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D130386468619%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&viewitem=

Edited by Freebird

Awesome guys, this site ROCKS! :cool10: Bought it. Now I can do a proper job without rushing.

How are you guys dealing with sealing header pipes back in reliably. I've read about various work arounds to the ridiculously priced yammy pipe/collector gaskets.

Copper tubing, copper wire, re-use old gaskets. What has worked for you, what hasn't.

I've had 2 first gens. '86 exhaust baffle was removed, opened and welded. Worked fine but for the underframe labour work. I had to buy a 45 degree flex socket for the darn bolts on clamps. Later on, another Venture Royale rider simply went to a muffler shop and hoisted the VR up to expose the collector, whereupon the artistic welder cut off the bottom exposing the loose baffle, rewelded and reassembled-welding the botton pan on. I recall his total labor costs were about $70. I wish I could remember his name. 8 ys later he is still riding it, I think. Anyone else done this type of repair?

At a rally in Wyoming, Fred Voght had me go to a tire shop and put the VR on 2 car tires (sideways) exposing the undercarriage and we hit the collector bottom with tire hammer to "tighten" the loose baffle. That worked good for a year or so then I had the thing removed and repaired. The 2 tire guys watching us thought we were nuts (I think we were at that time...in the 90's) Our riding pals at the Venture Rally laughed over that.

My '04 RSV Midnight is a gem./Bilko

Sort of have to be logged in when you copy.

Does it work if you log out before you paste in the VR site?

Gary

It appears so. It seems that my link is working. Not sure what you mean by you have to be logged in. I browse Ebay all the time and only login if I want to watch something or buy something. When I'm browsing and want to copy and paste something to here, I just highlight and copy the address and paste it here.

• 2 months later...

I didn't even lean mine over!--I just pulled it over a low lying area in my back yard--used a "Metabo" saw and cut a 2 inch square in the collector (only cutting 3 sides of the square ) opened up the little opening and the broken baffle fell out onto the ground----pushed the metal "flap" back into place and "J-B welded" the heck out of it!!:Laugh:...........................................Larry

then again, let it rattle if you can live with it. Mine rattled for a couple of months, but you could only hear it at idle and then the loose piece jammed in there somewhere, haven't heard it since. That's been a good year ago. I did think it became a very little bit louder.

Oh, and I did have to pull the exhaust to replace the gaskets since then, I shook some small pieces out and it jammed again. No worries!