IGNORED

Helmets:

Rob Swallows

Guest seuadr

what kind of helmet are you looking for? there are half, three quarter and full face. also full face modular, which has the chinbar on a latch so you can flip the whole thing up like a 3/4ths.

personally, i've always worn a FF. I can't wrap my head around a half helmet, doesn't protect your face or chin at all. three quarters don't do a whole lot to protect your face or chin either, but they are better than a half face. Full face gives full protection for the face, but can have more problems with fogging and sweating, with less airflow through it.

I've owned mostly HJC helmets in my time, and they are an affordable helmet with pretty good quality, typically they are dot and snell rated, and while they aren't the quietest helmets on the market, they also aren't the noisest. I currently have a FS-SP HJC helmet and it works great. questest helmet i've had yet, and it wicks sweat.

My wife has a helmet from a company called G-Max it has a light bar built into the back that works off a battery and flashes that she likes to tun on at night. It was a much cheaper helmet, but i have to admit, it is nearly as quiet as the HJC and flows just as much air. It was not snell rated, but it was the one she liked.

that is an important point with helmets and all safety gear. buy stuff that you will wear. doesn't matter how good the helmet is, if it's still at home. try them on, walk around the store for 5-10 mins with it on. shake your head around, look up and down. does it slide around? does it fit snug, but not too snug?

:2cents:

Hi there and thanks for the response. I really don't know what type of helmets we will wind up with as it has been so many years since we've been riding don't have much of a clue what is current. Back in my flat track days I always wore Bell full face helmets but equipment was supplied by sponsor(s). Really didn't do a lot of street riding in those days and only grabbed a helmet to go into Missouri, (was a lot more care free years ago). With this bike we don't want to scream over the surrounding noise to speak and it has intercom which we plan to use. This must be a by-product of growing up I suppose?

Looking back through the related posts that appear after a new post is started there are brands with features I've never heard of or seen. We do plan to visit a couple of motorcycle shops this weekend to give ourselves a little lesson. We haven't been into motorcycling since 1993 and a lot has changed since.

Rob

I have two helmets:

A Shoei 3/4 with a headset mounted on it. http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/shoei-nd/shoeirjplatinumrsolids-nd

A Scorpion Half helmet. http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/scorpionhelmets/exo100solid

Both are very good. To be honest, if I'm not planning on using the headset, I use the Scorpion just because it's so darn comfortable.

I also have a Scorpion half helmet with the pop down windshield. I do like the idea of the helmet, but when it is in the raised position there is a little rattling noise. But it has a nice fit, interior is removable for cleaning and of course the most important thing .... it matches the colour of my bike :whistling: but it does have that "Mister Gazoo" look to it. Although when you have a melon the size of a pumpkin, trying out helmets can be like trying on bathing suits .... yeech! Good luck.

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/scorpionhelmets/exo100solid

I have used Arai for 10-15 years. Great for "all day" comfort. You should put a cheap helmet on a cheap head.

I always had a Bell "Star" and found them comfortable for the short duration use I'd given them. Bells' slogan during the 70's was a $10.00 head deserves a $10.00 helmet. At the time their's was over a hundred bucks to purchase.

I've seen and heard of the Arai brand and remember them to be nicely constructed helmets. However, I don't think the contents of my head would bring a plug nickel at a Ben Franklin store; regardless, still want a nice matching pair of helmets. Comfort is a big issue because I will ride as I drive as in stop to piss, and fuel, (me and bike) then keep moving along until my ribs start to hurt from the rearward punching(s), LOL.

Thanks,

Rob

I have the Nolan Ncom 3/4" helments to use with the intercom for me and my girlfriend. They are comfortable and have plenty of room inside to mount the speakers for the intercoms. Got blue color to match my bike.

Like what has been said, "don't go for cheap". I've had several helmets through the years and most were a little pricey. I wore a full face Bell for years, really liked it especially when I was riding bikes with no windshields. My most favorite probably is the Shoei 3/4 helmet, I wore that thing until it began to rattle around on my head--or was my head rattling around--- Last two helmets have been 3/4 Arai, really like the Arai also but it took a little to break in.

I think the bottom line is to find one you are comfortable in and fits "your" head good.

BOO

I have had several helmets over the past 5 years, mostly open face or 3/4 helmets. I recently (last fall) got a Shark Evoline helmet that is a true convertible between a full face and a 3/4 open face. It is going to be my only helmet this year. Quieter than any other so far, and I love being able to have the coolness of 3/4 when I want it, and the warm/quiet of full face.

All in one unit with nothing extra to carry or even having to stop to switch (although the Manufacturer doesn't recommend switching modes while riding, I can easily go from FF to open and back on the highway with less distraction than any of the cell phone talking drivers beside me! :) A bit heavy and somewhat expensive, but great quality, and I am totally used to the slight extra weight already.