IGNORED

Leave it parked in gear.

Gary N.

Especially if it's a trike.

I was just reading another post and a member was asking about leaving his bike in gear while starting and it brought back a memory for me.

We had just left Kerrville Tx. heading home from our fantastic winter trip. After a couple of hours the Shuttle was getting low on jet fuel so I pulled into a truck stop on Hwy. 281 just north of Johnson City at Round Mountain. I get out and say hi to the fellow on the other side of the pump and get started on my fill up. The fellow on the other side gets in his pickup and start to leave but only goes a few feet and I see him jump out of his truck and start running out in front of it. Next thing I see is a white Goldwing trike with no rider backing up across in front of his pickup and heading right for my trailer.

Lucky for me, and the trike owner, the pickup man was able to stop the trike with about three feet to spare. He shut the engine off and put the bike in gear just as the owner comes running out of the store. The first words out of his mouth, "you didn't shut it off did you". Apparently his charging system was out and the battery wouldn't start the bike.

After giving him the lecture about leaving a vehicle parked in neutral without blocking the wheels or applying the brakes I calmed down. I explained to him what a bad day he and I both could of had.

The pickup man and myself gave him a push and it started right up and he was on his way. All's well that ends well.

I can laugh about it now but it sure wasn't funny at the time.

I was riding into work (5:30 am) still dark and it was my first adventure with fog. Before I chopped the windshield it was over my head (runt!) so I had pulled over to the side of the road and was commencing to get off to wipe down the windshield, it was in "N" .... and as I went to dismount it went on a slow roll down the road. Somehow (freakin' miracle!) I manged to half slide back into the seat and reach across quick for the front brake. Heart was hammering!! I had stopped on a slanted shoulder in the dark and had not realized it!

I have always parked in gear

Wind

uneven ground

some one bumps it from behind

I wont take much to get it rolling then up goes the stand

A trike even easier to get rolling

I am glade the trike was not damaged or you trailer

Ride safe

Dave

:smile11:

Boy does that story sound familiar, except the pickup was in neutral and it did hit my bike at the pump :bang head: only time my bike was upside down:crying: Craig

Was thinking about you while reading Garys post. Dumb people...

BOO