IGNORED

1st Generation leak ---

I'm still cleaning up my 83 and noticed what looks like antifreeze on a bent tube by the front crash bar on the right side. I've attached a picture and wonder what it might take for a fix. Doesn't look like an easy fix. I think the previous person had some goop on it. Any suggestions?

You should replace the pipe, its available from partshark.com in their Yamaha parts fiche area. Its coming out of your water pump and goes into the block, I dont remember the price but I think it was pretty reasonable. I have a spare just in case mine starts to leak it has a mark similar to yours from the crash bar hitting it.

Yamaha didnt think anyone would drop these bikes on the right side , I guess

Brian

Looks like your engine guard has been pushed back ino the plastic elbow and has it cracked and pretty beat up! Definately look into fixing that correctly! I think Earl aka skydoc has a repair kit available, O rings and the such but you may need to replace that plastic elbow. Good luck

i had to pull my water pump off of mine to replace it. I kept my old elbow and repaired it for a back up. If i remeber right they are 30 to 40 dollars. you will need to order a waterpump gasket too.I got the gasket from bike bandits.

I put a chrome spacer on the part of the crashbar to keep it away from the tube.

Hey Mark,

The allen cap screws in your pic are removed, and the water pump is pulled. There is an O'Ring on each end of that plastic pipe, and you will need a new water pump gasket. A 2X4 between the crash bar and the frame will return it to the proper position. Then, you are good as new. If you need help with the parts, feel free to PM me.

Good luck with your project,:thumbsup2:

Earl

i havnt done it, but from looking at the parts fiche it looks like you will have to loosen the bolts and remove the water pump after taking off the crash bar. The pipe end that goes into the block looks to be threaded with oring and the end into the water pump is a press fit with an oring.

While you have the water pump out you may want to replace your impeller if it is plastic, most broke down over the last 25 years or so.

Ps the part new is about 30 bucks from partshark

Brian

the easiest way to do it . Do NOT remove the water pump.Is to remove the thermostat housting. NO Gaskets required. JUST O-RINGS. You may need to loosen some clamps on hoses a bit. Just imagine you are removing your starter. the thermostat housing has to come out.

Edited by jasonm.

I got my '86 because the PO dropped it at the ATM and over time the rubbing started the leak there. He took it to BMW to trade for a 1200KT. They offered him $300 because it was leaking antifreeze and the starter sounded weak! :rotfl:

I spent $2.00 on JB Weld and used a 4' pipe to fix the problem. I did replace the elbow later, after my room mate dropped it again and broke that fix. I have put 100 thousand miles on the bike since I've had it. (6 years)

• 10 months later...

I know this is an older post but was wondering what I could do to temporarily repair the elbow so that I could ride a little bit while the weather is warm? There has been a repair made to this pipe before by a previous owner but it continues to leak (Motorcycle takes a whiz when I stop riding... ) What about sawing out the damaged area and slipping a preformed piece of automotive water hose over the nubs sticking out? Maybe a piece of plastic water pipe elbow split down the middle and sandwiched over the leaky pipe on the bike? I'm open to suggestions and realize the best fix is to replace but can't afford to spend a lot of money right now.

I know this is an older post but was wondering what I could do to temporarily repair the elbow so that I could ride a little bit while the weather is warm? There has been a repair made to this pipe before by a previous owner but it continues to leak (Motorcycle takes a whiz when I stop riding... ) What about sawing out the damaged area and slipping a preformed piece of automotive water hose over the nubs sticking out? Maybe a piece of plastic water pipe elbow split down the middle and sandwiched over the leaky pipe on the bike? I'm open to suggestions and realize the best fix is to replace but can't afford to spend a lot of money right now.

I took mine to the stealor and had it done as I needed a complete flush,new front and rear tire and he was hurting for work so he offerd me a great deal on labor. Now after it was done I stumbled on a parts list while surfing the internet and what i found was a vmax ellbow that was chromed metal 90. I cant find the parts list but others may be able to help you out on this. I was pointed to this repair by a vmax group online.

Now for temporary fix you can remove the goop as you called it with a putty knife and go to lowes and buy the epoxy this aplication. Put it on and let it sit till cured and repeat as necasarry. Little tip as I went there on a trip to the coast when mine leak 4 hrs away from home. Go ahead and drop all of the antifreez. It will not cure if it still has water or the like in it.

David

Thanks guys,

I'll see if I can find an elbow. Should it be ABS or PVC? (is the gray conduit for electrical made of ABS?) I did notice that the antifreeze was very slick to the touch so I'll drain it before trying to glue anything on.