IGNORED

Motorkote

YamaDuck

Well my 2001 has a bit of a whine. Not to bad but enough to let you know it's there. About 60 in 4th. Seems to be worse with a little acceleration. When the engine is not under pressure it is quite. It kinda forces me into 5th earlier than I want but my Venture seems to do fine in 5th at about 45. I just don't accelerate very hard or I down shift and put up with the whine.

I read all the post about Motorkote and thought I would give it a try. I had a oil leak from a bad gasket in the middle gear so I replaced it. I topped off the oil (which had about 1500 miles on it) with 7 oz of Motorkote. I can not tell any difference in the intensity or the frequency (RPM's) of the whine. The engine does seem to be running smoother and it sifts easier but no difference in the whine. My next oil change I will switch to synthetic motor oil and put about 8 more oz of Motorkote. Hopefully the clean oil and fresh Motorkote will do the trick. I did run the bike pretty hard to test the Motorkote to make sure it did not cause my clutch to slip since Motorkote is a friction modifier and no slipping. :crying:

I tried it and found no difference in mine. I switched to full synthetic oil, which seems to help alittle more. The one thing I observed with mine...is the thicker the oil the louder the whine. The only downside with the thinner oil, it doesn't shift as smooth. If there's an adverse effect or affect...I'm to the point I could care less. Once the warrant is out its either gonna be sold or traded.

Changing to the I-basket was the only thing that quieted the whine in mine... I tried all the different oil cobinations including the Motorkote. I currently run Shell Rotella T 15w40 and some motorkote and it's sounding pretty good although I don't think one will ever get rid of the whine completely...at least it's now tolerable.

I started up my son's Harley Sportster on sunday and I gotta tell ya, there's absolutely no whiney or rattley engine sounds from that motor. It's tight and quiet including when you drive it. Of course, there's the Screamin Eagle pipes that give off a great rumble.

Does the bike have to be in warranty to get the I basket? I know Yamaha will not pick up the tab for the installation on an out of warranty bike but Yamaha has so many complaints about the whining they certainly know people are unhappy with the whining. The whine is not that bad but if I can get rid of it I would be a lot :missingtooth:. The bike only has 6500 miles on it and I put 2000 of those on it since December.:confused24:

Does the bike have to be in warranty to get the I basket? I know Yamaha will not pick up the tab for the installation on an out of warranty bike but Yamaha has so many complaints about the whining they certainly know people are unhappy with the whining. The whine is not that bad but if I can get rid of it I would be a lot :missingtooth:. The bike only has 6500 miles on it and I put 2000 of those on it since December.:confused24:

For Yamaha to pick up the tab yes.

To get an I-Basket from a parts place no.

However the I-Basket is a special number, you can't just use the number off of a parts supplier fiche. It was posted on this site once but I can't remember where. I'll look to see if I can find the thread and post it.

Found it in this thread:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46085&highlight=basket

The number for the I-Basket is: 4XY-16150-09-00

Edited by gibvel

Third page of this post has some dosing info.:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39828&highlight=Motorkote&page=3

According to Motorkote they recomend 2oz per quart of oil.

Cougar over dosed his the first time with 12oz. Others have gone with 8 and 10oz per quart with an oil change.

They say you don't have to do it every oil change rather every 3rd oil change.

Edited by gibvel

For Yamaha to pick up the tab yes.

To get an I-Basket from a parts place no.

However the I-Basket is a special number, you can't just use the number off of a parts supplier fiche. It was posted on this site once but I can't remember where. I'll look to see if I can find the thread and post it.

Found it in this thread:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46085&highlight=basket

The number for the I-Basket is: 4XY-16150-09-00

I just got a quote from Partshark on the I-basket of $260. For those of you that have installed this, is this about right?

My First dose was 12 0z.. I now add about 8 to 10.. seems to be fine.

I am now on my 3rd (I) basket. seems to be a bit better.

Time will tell. If I have to change it out once a year I will do that

from now on. as I have all the proper tools to do this job.

My 2nd one is for sale and has 4500 miles on it. some basket do different things

in other bikes.. no guarantees though. the basket is $200.00 shipped.

I believe there are 2 left right now in the US out of Texas. call partshark.

the total for the gasket, basket and shipping is about $289.00 or so.

Jeff

My First dose was 12 0z.. I now add about 8 to 10.. seems to be fine.

I am now on my 3rd (I) basket. seems to be a bit better.

Time will tell. If I have to change it out once a year I will do that

from now on. as I have all the proper tools to do this job.

My 2nd one is for sale and has 4500 miles on it. some basket do different things

in other bikes.. no guarantees though. the basket is $200.00 shipped.

Jeff

Well Jeff before I jump head long into this let me ask you a few questions.

- What kind of tools are you talking about? Does it take special tools?

- Is it a difficult job?

- Why do you keep buying I baskets if it doesn't solve your problem?

- Since you buy the I basket and it didn't fix your problem couldn't you return it to the dealer you bought if from or is it a non returnable item?

Thanks for the offer. I will think about it. My whine is not to bad right now so I would hate to pay $200 and bet on a role of the dice. I would not mind the $200 if I new it would fix the problem. Especially since this basket did not fix your problem.

Thanks,

Harry

Well Harry. Seems that the sound gets louder over time.

I wanted to try the 3rd one Just to see if maybe they might have

changed the metal in the basket or the cut just might be a little different., seems that my 3rd one will do the trick,

Like I say, it is a matter of time. I should know if it will stay the same by the end of the summer. My thinking , by having the NEW (I) in place and starting it off with MotorKote, It might make the sound stay were it is tolerable .

Having said that... The job? no not bad at all, and yes you need the clutch tool

Joe has one and I have one now. I can mail it to you when your ready, just send back the shipping charge please.

I change baskets do to the fact from hearing from others that there sound is totally eliminated. That is still hard to believe for me just yet. some bikes the gears are cut a little different , so my 2nd basket COULD eliminate the sound all together. trust me on this as I have dealt with this for 5 years now. and continue to pursue this problem. I WILL ONE DAY! :D

(NO RETURNS) on the baskets bought from them.

Jeff

Edited by Cougar

Jeff

Hey, one of them had better be mine. :Laugh:

I got an email from partshark saying that they are waiting to get my basket in, usually takes 3-5 days and then they'll repackage it (?) and send it off to me.

Seems a strange way to do things, but you can't beat their prices.