IGNORED

What did I miss?

vic venture

I love riding my gen1 but I kept getting the itch to sport about town with a little more humph then Blu has. A lady in Memphis offered to sell me an old Yamaha that was taking up room in her garage. I have a couple of Seca 750 yammies and thought this one might at least be good for parts at $500 bucks. I took the trailer over to get it. In the garage, I found a 2001 VMAX with 4500 miles on the clock. I told her it was worth more but she said to get it away from her so I paid her and left. I knew it had not been run for several years and expected the worst. I went to drain the gas but found none. I checked the carbs and cleaned something oily from them but they were clean. I drained the fluids and changed them, put in the gas, put on a new battery and it fired right up. It had cobra slip ons and sounded like the hotrod it is. I noticed a large amount of oil leaking around the third gear and the cover on the thirdgear is bent. I bought the whole assembly and look forward to dropping the swingarm and changing it out. The bike is perfect, paint and all except for one corner of the middle seat which a rat or dog or something got. I think I have it all now! Two bikes for two kinds of riding!

I love riding my gen1 but I kept getting the itch to sport about town with a little more humph then Blu has. A lady in Memphis offered to sell me an old Yamaha that was taking up room in her garage. I have a couple of Seca 750 yammies and thought this one might at least be good for parts at $500 bucks. I took the trailer over to get it. In the garage, I found a 2001 VMAX with 4500 miles on the clock. I told her it was worth more but she said to get it away from her so I paid her and left. I knew it had not been run for several years and expected the worst. I went to drain the gas but found none. I checked the carbs and cleaned something oily from them but they were clean. I drained the fluids and changed them, put in the gas, put on a new battery and it fired right up. It had cobra slip ons and sounded like the hotrod it is. I noticed a large amount of oil leaking around the third gear and the cover on the thirdgear is bent. I bought the whole assembly and look forward to dropping the swingarm and changing it out. The bike is perfect, paint and all except for one corner of the middle seat which a rat or dog or something got. I think I have it all now! Two bikes for two kinds of riding!

That's insane!! Great deal...:happy34:

I'm thinking there is a little more to this story. So, did she have a clear title to sign over to you? Maybe signed her X's name? That just does not look like a ladies bike.

Joe

I am afraid there is truth to that. It was her first husbands bike. He was a cop and did not make it home one day. The Title is clear and from New York. I wish he could have come home and enjoyed it but I will certainly toast his memory when that third gear is changed out. I guess you could call it a legacy of sorts. She still has his sportster and road king. She plans to keep them.

I'll pay you twice what you paid for it. Now THAT'S a deal...how could you pass up that kinda profit?:stickpoke:

If you wanted to part with one of them there Secas, I might be interested. I used to have a silver one, and loved it.

Guest seuadr
I'll pay you twice what you paid for it. Now THAT'S a deal...how could you pass up that kinda profit?:stickpoke:

If you wanted to part with one of them there Secas, I might be interested. I used to have a silver one, and loved it.

i learned to ride on an 83 seca, red one. i got a soft spot for them :D

This sounds just like the urban legend of the guy that went to buy the old Chevy and an elderly lady had for sale and when he opened the barn door, there sits a vintage Corvette. Are you sure that you are not just another urban legend?

Ya done good man, I just wish it had been me!! :whistling:

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Even while i have a Vmax in the Stable, I'm still envy. You got a major steal right there. Congrats !!!

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Maybe there will be some other Things to sort out in the Future, this one is worth a Lot of Effort. Regarding the leaking Output Shaft, most likely you'll need to re-shim the Assembly, so better be prepared to get some Shims to be have them at Hand when you need them.

Even while i have a Vmax in the Stable, I'm still envy. You got a major steal right there. Congrats !!!

:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Maybe there will be some other Things to sort out in the Future, this one is worth a Lot of Effort. Regarding the leaking Output Shaft, most likely you'll need to re-shim the Assembly, so better be prepared to get some Shims to be have them at Hand when you need them.

I found instructions in the tool bag for a chain drive conversion. At close inspection the bolts have been removed from the third gear. Obviously it did not work out for him.

I'm still envy !! !!

It's not too hard do to a Chain Drive Conversion when you have a Tool Shop with Mill, Lathe, Welder and all the other Stuff mostly needed, but it's a Time Consuming Job and you have to have great Knowledge about what you're doing there.

For me, changing from a nearly non-Maintenance Subject to a highly demanding System, just because of gaining 15 Ponies or so and the Ability to choose my Preferences with Sprockets is NOT worth the Effort. I'd mount a EFI System at the same Cost instead and find those 15 Horses there easily... :whistling::whistling::whistling: