IGNORED

Need advise on best scenic route from Atlanta to Vancouver Island May 8 th

twowheelsonly

I have a big trip planned to ride from Atlanta GA to Vancouver Island, I need to arrive there on May 8th.. I am sure some of the roads I would like to travel will be good and I am planning to try to do as much back roads as possible. I am a little concerned about the mountain passes primarily due to snow but I can avoid most places if I have to.. I was kind of planning on camping a couple of nights then hosteling/hotelling it the other nights.. I was thinking I would need to leave about April 30th to May 1st to get there by the 9th.. My plan is to Ride from Atlanta to Seattle WA then take a Ferry to Vancouver Island Never done a solo trip like this before so I appreciate any good advise from my fellow riders.. I have new tires, Heated riding gear, a good saddle and my bikes been serviced so I have all the gear I think I need just need some good routes going North West that I can ride that will keep me covering the country in an efficient time frame

Thanks for your help and tips

Stewart (Twowheelsonly)

UPDATED INFO TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE

Proposed Ride Route

I have ridden 500 to 700 miles per day with not too much problems.. I usually need a 3rd day to rest up so I can probably knock off a couple of hundred miles on that day, I plan to ride the super slab if I need to catch up on my time, subject to weather or other delays, I have tentatively picked back roads that travel through or by the following cities:

Atlanta to Nashville TN,

to St. Louis,

to Kansas City MO,

to Denver CO,

to Cheyenne,

to Jackson WY

to Idaho Falls ID,

to Spokane WA

to Seattle

to Victoria BC

I have traveled the CA and coast routes in a cage many times.. I think I will plan a southern trip next year to see the southern states.. I appreciate the input and advise!

Stewart (Twowheelsonly)

Edited by twowheelsonly
Add info to the ride

I cant say what a best route across the US might be as far as scenery goes, but, I would think about crossing the country fairly south and then head up north thru thru California, Oregon and washington. That is some of the nicest country I have ever travelled thru. I especially liked Lake Tahoe area, the Morro Bay area of California, and Crater Lake by Klamath Falls Oregon. Absolutely breathtaking!!

Keep us posted on your final route and the pics with description would be great!!

brian

"The MV Marguerite was retired a number of years ago so there is no vehicle ferry service Seattle to Victoria BC "

But there is still the one between Port Angeles & Victoria (MV Coho) & another one Anacortes - Sidney. Will have to take them one year.......

Here is a link to the ferry routes, where I pulled the info from the associated links. http://www.ferrytravel.com/map.htm

I lived outside Seattle for 20 years ( 1983-2004) in the foot hills of Mount Rainier national park ( Buckley, Wa). Highway I-90 is the main road going east-west and can be closed due to snow in late spring/summer at anytime. A little south of Tacoma is hwy 410 which they just close during the winter and do not ever bother to plow during the winter. Check the Wa. state hwy . site.

If you come from the south ( Oregon) interstate I-5 is the main (only ) expressway all the way from Mexico to Canada. Almost all traffic north and south is on that road and I would travel it untill I get close to Portland and the Seattle/tacoma area. I would then go west and take hwy 101 along the ocean. Portland is a wonderful city and not bad to drive or visit, but the coast is wonderful.

Interstate I-5 close into Tacoma through the town of Everett is one big long expressway ( about 70 miles long ) . I drove that route when I work for Boeing on I-5 for 3 years. Hwy 101 along the coast can be a mess too. it is the tourist route but a much better (slower) ride.

There are a number of members here that live in the seattle area. Maybe they will give you a better route ?

Check with the Washington State ferry site for info on where they go.

good luck cb

I too would not cross the mountains in May that far north. I have done it in June and encountered snow...lots of it as you get higher and higher. The farthest south you can cross would be my advice....cross and get to the coast and its a wonderful drive....busy but very scenic.

I agree with others who know this country, as I do... any of the mountain passes, especially in early May, are very unpredictable and the chances of running into a snow storm are much greater than not.

One route, although a lot out of your way, would be to come up into Canada from Spokane via Oroville/Osoyoos, head straight north to Kamloops and then west to Cache Creek and then south to Hope via the Fraser Canyon. From there, it's pretty safe route to Vancouver Island. The reason I suggest that route is that you don't cross over any high mountain pass and it's the only route I know of that you don't unless you travel way down south. The chances of running into a snow storm on this route in late April, early May are minimal and generally speaking, you won't even see snow anywhere except up at the top of the mountains.

Here's a map of that route...

[ATTACH]43708[/ATTACH]

Edited by SilvrT

Would be wise to stay to the South while traveling West this time of year. I went West in mid June on a Northern route and still ran into cold, sleet, and snow. Came back the Southern route and it was a great ride. When they put those gates down across the e-ways up there your not going anywhere.

The MV Coho ( Blackball Ferry http://cohoferry.com/main/ ) is a nice ride on a good day... I often go to Port Angeles and ride there it is just awesome. Prepare your self you need to tie your bike to the ferry so it does not fall over as the ferry rolls on the waves. The Anacortes ferry ( http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Ferries/Schedule/ScheduleDetail.aspx?tripdate=20100508&departingterm=1&arrivingterm=19&roundtrip=true ) I have never taken but thought we may take it this summer as I think it will be a fantastic sight to see.

Give me a shout when in Victoria !

Be sure to bring an " electric vest " From Denver, over the mountain's you are still

going to hit " COLD " Weather, in the mornings.

And, don't forget the Rain Suit !!!

George, you needed to highlight the last bit....... So I did it for you.

:2cents::canada:

I would stay south until you hit the coast then come up the coast road to Port Angeles then the ferry to Victoria. You do not want to go through mountain passes at that time of year. You do not want to be in the I 5 from Seattle north at any time. How long will you be in Victoria? Will you be heading north on Vancouver Island? I could meet you somewhere if you want.

I would stay south until you hit the coast then come up the coast road to Port Angeles then the ferry to Victoria. You do not want to go through mountain passes at that time of year. You do not want to be in the I 5 from Seattle north at any time. How long will you be in Victoria? Will you be heading north on Vancouver Island? I could meet you somewhere if you want.

The ride for dad is the next weekend..... it would be an awesome way to see a good chunck of the lower island !

http://www.motorcycleridefordad.org/vis/about-us