IGNORED

Winter Project Almost Complete

hlange

Hey Henry,

Your fine project reminds me of those old "Tear Drop" Campers of so many years ago. I really admire someone that takes the time to create something "special" with their hands and their heads and their hearts to enhance their riding experience. My hat's off to you! I am sure it is going to be a "Jim Dandy" Camper when you are finished! It's a comfort to know that there are still craftsmen in this country, and this is an excellent example of that.

Thanks for sharing your "dream come true" with us!:thumbsup2:

Earl

Henry,

Nice work for sure and I couldn't agree with Earl more. I want to add 1 thing and this is by no means a slam. You might want to consider some sort of electric brake system for your trailer. The '85 brake system on your bike is poor by design and you are getting to the spot where the trailer is almost half the bikes weight just being empty. As cool as it is, you really need top be able to stop safely with it :2cents:

Hey Jack,

Thanks for that interesting link. I didn't know that they were still being made! I wonder if the campers in your link could be pulled by a VR?:confused24:

Thanks again for the link,

Earl

You could probably pull it OK, but I'd hate to be the one that has to stop it.... :big-grin-emoticon: Probably be more like the tail wagging the dog.....

Looks like they do have a model which could be towed by a bike - I know I would get claustrophobic in one of those things - if I could even contort myself to get into one - :rotf:

Betcha could if'n there was a mirror on the ceiling..... :sign woo hoo: :rotfl::rotfl:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it road tested great at 65mph on a very windy day. No problem stopping, but I did notice that I needed more throttle then normal so mileage will probably take a hit. Not really a problem as I only plan to take it on two trips a year, the longest being 230 miles away. I think I like it!!:cool10:

Karen and I were thinking of building one of those last summer. I kinda got lost in trying to figure out what size to make it. Wanted to be closer to 4 foot wide, then the mirrors would be covered so we thought about some type of folding sides that would raise the dome up when parked and on and on. Never did figure it out yet, so we don't have one yet.

What size did you end up making it?

As far as the brakes, I had electric brakes on a Trailmaster Pop up several years ago. I bought a brake controller with a mercury switch that would switch from light to heavy braking when you were stopping hard. Seemed like a great idea, but...when rolling up gently to a stop sign and hit a bump the switch would hit and jam the brakes on. I ended up turning the system off.

The only way I would try them again is if the control is on the handlebars and the controller was tied into the brake line on the bike to vary stopping power automatically.

Excellent project, Enjoy, Scooter Bob

I just noticed your from WI, I'll have to hunt you down some day and check it out a little closer.