IGNORED

What do you wear when you ride ...?

cb1313

I am NOT taking about when you got drunk and rode naked....Yes....me too ! I did have my shoes on !! Or about helmets. I just purchased a Kaw. Versys and joined their forum. These guys dress for war.... a lot of " made for motorcycle "(Kevlar) coats, pants and boots.

I DO have some textile coats and Sidi ( spelling ?) boots from my BMW days and a couple leathers coats, chaps and leathers pants....

BUT..... I wear mostly jeans ( I just ordered 2 pairs of Diamaond jeans ), a tank top and steel toed boots. I carries a leather shirt on the bike for that day it's not full leather coat weather. One thing I always wear are some type of glove.

What are you wearing ?

Cb

Guest human4m

Me: Jeans, Thorogood boots, Leather armored jacket, and a long sleeve shirt. Sometimes I'll go short sleeve...

The Wife: Jeans, boots, short sleeve shirt, and a mesh jacket with some of the armor removed. "It makes my shoulders look huge..." she says.

We told some friends that if it was really going to be int he 80's this weekend, the wives were riding naked...

According to the weatherman, it looks like we're airing out our ol' ladies! :beer:

I wear Firstgear Kilimanjaro Textile jacket with armor, Venture pants with upgraded armor (either Air when warm or Solid when cooler), boots, gloves, and full face helmet - all the time. ATGATT.

Dress for the crash, not the ride.

RR

I dress for the weather.

If it's cold, I'll be in chaps or riding pants-leather coat-work boots-full face hat.

If it's hot, I'll ride in sneakers-t shirt-shorts-non Dot lid.

When I'm on the dirt bikes I always wear more gear. It's a safe bet I'm going to fall off at least once per ride. Not so on the street. I play the odds.

I've had road rash. :crying:

I bled, I hurt, I healed. Big deal. Pain reminds you you're alive.

Full Face Helmet (flip front) - 100% of the time

Boots - 98%

Leather Chaps or Leather Pants - 100%

Leather Jacket - 50%, Armored Joe Rocket Jacket - 50% (when too hot for leather)

Leather Gloves - 100%

I would absolutely love to have the freedom to just go out and and throw a leg over the the bike and ride off with nothing more than shorts and a t-shirt; that would often be much more comfortable and quicker, but I ain't that stupid.

I love to ride, but I'm not a big fan of bleeding.

Goose

I am NOT taking about when you got drunk and rode naked....Yes....me too ! I did have my shoes on !! Or about helmets. I just purchased a Kaw. Versys and joined their forum. These guys dress for war.... a lot of " made for motorcycle "(Kevlar) coats, pants and boots.

I DO have some textile coats and Sidi ( spelling ?) boots from my BMW days and a couple leathers coats, chaps and leathers pants....

BUT..... I wear mostly jeans ( I just ordered 2 pairs of Diamaond jeans ), a tank top and steel toed boots. I carries a leather shirt on the bike for that day it's not full leather coat weather. One thing I always wear are some type of glove.

What are you wearing ?

Cb

Wouldn't have done it if they hadn't let me wear my helmet!!!

I've almost always got jeans on. Leather jacket, boots, gloves and FULL FACE HELMET!!! If it get too hot I put the jacket in one of the bags.

I ride with a guy that wears Flip-flops & shorts... Any body know him??:think:

Your inference that I am stupid for riding in shorts is akin to my saying that you're a spineless coward for wearing what you wear to ride, however, I wouldn't say that even if I thought it.

I would have expected better from you. :(

I've worn shorts a time or two for really short trips on the bike, it just feels tooooooo weird to me. Especially when the shorts ride up and I'm flashing my pearly white thighs at everyone!

Once after golf, I actually put chaps on over shorts for the ride home. Now THAT, was a truly odd feeling.

Cold Weather:

Pullover hoody

Frank Thomas jacket with removable liner

Thermal long underpants

Ski pants

gloves

boots

Warm Weather:

light shirt

Frank Thomas jacket with liner removed

jeans

gloves

boots

HOT Weather:

T-shirt or similar with long sleeves

jeans

fingerless gloves

shoes

Wouldn't have done it if they hadn't let me wear my helmet!!!

I've almost always got jeans on. Leather jacket, boots, gloves and FULL FACE HELMET!!! If it get too hot I put the jacket in one of the bags.

I ride with a guy that wears Flip-flops & shorts... Any body know him??:think:

Oh......I know who that is. Ya think in his line of work he'd dress better then that on a bike. :Laugh:

I wear jeans all the time no matter the temps and have chaps and my leather jacket and warmer weather I have the mesh. I have all the armor still in it. I don't mind looking bigger. Of course the sleeves are a bit long but what else is new. (it's a small, but all my jackets the sleeves are a bit long) Oh and I have my boots took me 2 yrs to find someone who had my size so I could try em on. Maybe should have bought two pair at the time. Oh well.

Margaret

To straycatt: I am sorry if you took offense at my statement, for it was not directed at you. In fact, your post was not even on the board when I started typing my reply, so I didn't see it until after I posted.

Even though I was not trying to offend you or anyone in particular, I cannot apologize for what I said, for I would consider myself very stupid if I rode in shorts, and I was talking about myself.

I will admit that I shake my head and wonder about the decisions people make whenever I see anyone riding without a helmet or other proper gear (speaking about what I consider proper, of course). But I absolutely and totally believe and defend in their right to make whatever decision they want. I'm a big believer in the Darwin theory.

Despite the above statements, I have absolutely no use whatsoever for bicycle helmets, and I have no doubts that many other people will consider me stupid for that - doesn't bother me a bit.

Ride safe all,

Goose

we all play the odds and we each have our thoughts of what odds we will play / not play.

wear what you will. i don't like the thought of my chin grinding away on roadway material, so i wear FF.

field sheer textile jacket with armor - 100 %

field sheer textile pants with armor - 20%

ankle high lace up boots - 95%

basic tennis shoes - 5%

basic denim blue jeans - 80%

FF modular flip up helmet - 100%

leather gloves - 100%

I want to get some chaps to go over my jeans, i just have not bought any - yet.

Always wear over the ankle boots, jeans (just got the Defender kevlar jeans and love them, they will be on every time I remember from now on.

Long sleeve t-shirt to protect from wind/sun burn on my old skin, and winter gloves or deerskin summer gloves (full finger).

My new Shark Evoline (well, new last year) is going on every trip, with the chin bar in place probably most of the time. Our local STAR group had a CPR class and one of the emergency trained people told about missing chins on people with shorty and open face helmets. I started using the chin bar more often the next day!

bought a really nice motorcycle jacket a little over a year ago, thing weighs 20 pounds I swear! But it is thick enough, I feel really protected, and amazingly with the zippered vents, it isn't that hot, but in real hot weather, I will probably just go with that long sleeve T-shirt or a light denim jacket that I like to wear. Not a lot of protection, but better than a tank top, and more pleasing to the spectators I am sure! :shock3:

Winter I layer up and wear chaps, the Defenders will replace the chaps in summer.

Each to their own. I've been down a "few" times and if I keep riding will probally do it again. I want as much between me and the road as possible but don't want to "dress up" any more than anyone else when it gets warm. If pain lets me know i'm alive then I'm fully aware of that fact and need no more proof. I will wear my leather and a Full Faced helmet and won't give you my opinion of bike or beanie helmets. Or mention what they do for the Gene pool.

Guest seuadr

i wear a full face HJC, tourmaster solid armoured riding pants when it's cooler, tecknic mesh riding pants with armour when it's warmer. Joe rocket balistci 2.0 jacket with armour and i installed a spine protector. Tourmaster gloves ( a cold pair and a warm pair, both waterproof ) and redwing motorcycle boots.

It all depends on the temps for me.

From cool to way too cold... boots, jeans, bib overalls, leather jacket, ear wrap and full fingered gloves. If it's cold enough add a leather face mask and fur lined gauntlets.

Perfect temps... boots, jeans, leather jacket with liner removed and vents open and full fingered gloves.

Warm temps (HOT for you Northerners :) )... boots, jeans, denim jacket and full fingered gloves; maybe leather jacket.

Normal Mississippi summer time temps... boots and jeans, full fingered gloves and MAYBE a long sleeved shirt.

It's a choice of NOT wearing a jacket and taking a chance on laying it down... or... wearing the jacket and for sure laying it down when I pass out from heat stroke!

Edited by BigBoyinMS

I ride either MOTGATT or ATGATT myself. Standard gear for me is riding jacket [i have 3 different kinds], full/flip face helmet, gloves, jeans, and hikers. Long distance trips the jeans are changed to riding jeans, leather in the seat and armor in the knees, and/or chaps. Like Owen, I prefer to keep my face [and the rest of me!] the way it is.

ATGATT... Armored jacket, pants, boots, usually leather gloves and usually a FF helmet, but sometimes a 3/4. If its cold I wear full leather. I'm too pretty to get marred up in a crash... :missingtooth:

I echo what most here are saying: ATGATT. Full-faced helmet, Neck Gator if cold, Kevlar Mesh Jacket with armor (liner when cold or wet), Kevlar Mesh Pants with armor (liner when cold or wet), Boots, Full-Fingered Gloves (heated when cold), Foam Ear Plugs, which actually allow me to hear everything more clearly.

The following may not be considered clothing, but, I think it helps protect me, as well: Extra tail/brake lights, extra turn signals, modulated brake lights, modulated headlight, passing lamps, Stebel air horn, wider than stock (Clearview) windshield, backrest.

Other than all of these physical things to help protect me, I try to predict what other drivers could do to hurt me (whether because they're distracted/not paying attention/don't see me) & try to avoid being anyplace that gives them that opportunity to hurt me. In other words, the mental side of the equation. Stay alert, stay safe, stay alive. Can't predict everything, so, just be ready for idiocy.

That's my story & I'm stickin' to it.