Going to have to jump the bike to get home tonight. Batt. was dead earlier today, put a short charge on it and it fired up. Rode it to work, (32 miles on hwy) figuring it should be ok. Four hours later, it won't start. Jumped it from a car battery (car not running) and it fired right up. Have not tested yet, but I am pretty sure it is the battery and not the charging system. It is the original battery - 3 yrs and 1 month.

What is the part number for the battery and what CCA do I need. I am at work and don't really have time to investigate all this.

Thanks

Hi it looks like people read you post but nobody answered. I do not know "what" battery but there are only a few companies that even make batteries. Most motorcycle batteries are made by Yuasa. The important thing is to get one the fits inside your bike. Most will cost about $80. todays batteries come dry with the acid in plactic tubes. This is normal for motorcycle batteries. You flip the open tubes into the battery until full. Expect a battery to last 3-5 years in todays world.

Cb

Going to have to jump the bike to get home tonight. Batt. was dead earlier today, put a short charge on it and it fired up. Rode it to work, (32 miles on hwy) figuring it should be ok. Four hours later, it won't start. Jumped it from a car battery (car not running) and it fired right up. Have not tested yet, but I am pretty sure it is the battery and not the charging system. It is the original battery - 3 yrs and 1 month.

What is the part number for the battery and what CCA do I need. I am at work and don't really have time to investigate all this.

Thanks

YTX20L-BS :080402gudl_prv: Probably can pick one up from Walmart.

Edited by Wanderer
add text

YTX20L-BS) 12V 18 AH Or equivlent from another supplier. I just replaced mine on my 2004 and I believe the old one is still ok. No issues, just don't want to take the chance.

The one below is the new one I have.It is at a Canadian site but it is just an example of aftermarket.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/YTX20-BS-YTX20BS-CTX20-BS-battery-motorcycle-ATV_W0QQitemZ120463511166QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c0c2f4e7e

Got home at 2:15am and immediately put on a 2amp charge. At 9:15am, I removed the charger and tested the battery. A whopping 10v. The battery case is not bowed, but it is shot.

Called 4 stores before I found one.

What really sucks is the weather is finally GREAT this week and I may have to leave the bike parked tonight.:smash2:

Your battery doesn’t seem that old, have you checked the acid levels and cleaned the terminals? ... don’t forget to coat the terminals with dielectric grease.

The batteries that come in these are AGM batteries and dont need the acid. Did you keep it on a tender?

Get the Yuasa High Performance one and stay away frome the Oddessy

No corrosion. Terminal connectors were tight. Periodic 2amp charge through the winter.

Bike started and ran fine as recently as last week. Yesterday, nothing. Bike charging system running normal.

Battery was no longer taking a charge. DEAD!

I made the mistake of turning on the ignition to check something and when I turned it off I turned the key all the way to the parking light and did not notice it because it was light out and I didn't take the key out. Killed the battery but it recharged and held. Original 2004. Some batteries do short between cells and give you a short charge. Some auto parts stores (Advance Auto) will test it for free.

You have probably already bought, but, yeah, the AGM (Glass Mat) batteries don't require chemicals or a charge out of the box. (But a overnight tender charge is still a good idea.) I think I got one a year or so back at Advance or Autozone off the shelf.

They can sit on a shelf a year or so like a D-cell with little or no loss.

Someone told me that bike batteries do not recover by riding (thus charging) like a car battery does. I think they said this is due to the charging system is just enough to run the bike stuff and maintain the charge. Might be hooey, but they were saying you may get a jump but you still need to charge your drained battery back to full, even if you did run several miles after the jump.

BUT, looks like you did that. So, dead is dead.

Edit: Oh, regarding the AGM battery,,, lunch today, I left my lights(3) on for ONE HOUR. It started just fine, twice. But, when I get home, I will put it on the tender.

Edited by Mike G in SC

My battery just died, also, on Saturday. Have had it on a Battery Tender for most of the winter, and had just disconnected it a couple of hours beforehand. Turned the key, the engine turned over once and stopped. Battery showed 4vdc. I was really grateful it happened in my garage instead of a zillion miles from home.

In previous bikes, I've had great luck with the (sealed) batteries from Walmart. Just for giggles, I called the closest dealer for a price: $141 plus tax. Went to Walmart: $70. The one I pulled out was from NAPA, so apparently this is the second time it's being replaced.

As has been described, you just add the acid, wait 30 to 60 minutes depending on the battery size, and snap on the top seals. You have to clean up a bit of acid from the top of the battery, as they typically bubble out a little while filling, and spit out a little more while sitting for the first few minutes. Battery acid is some nasty stuff, so make sure to wear rubber gloves. I also wear eye protection because I'm paranoid.

Then hook it up to your favorite low current charger until it shows green.

Edited by atlm

Here is a web site that sells the battery for the 1st and 2nd gen bikes. They are the Deka batteries and I have one in my 1st gen and it sits out side in the snow and every thing else. There are times I don't ride for a couple of weeks and then I go out there and start it up with no problems. The mornings here get to 18* and still it starts right up.

Deka: ETX18L - Battery Service Corporation

:thumbsup: