IGNORED

Yee haw...first ride of season

Freebird

OK...it wasn't very far but I did get out on the bike for the first time this season. Only got in about 40 miles but it sure felt good. Bike had been sitting all winter on the battery tender and a full tank of gas with a can of Seafoam. It started as soon as I touched the starter button. Got a little ride in and then just before getting home, I had a long stretch where I could see a mile or two ahead of me. No cars on either side of the road so I wound it up to about 110 MPH for just a few seconds. She is running great and it sure felt good to get some wind in my face.

The bad news is that a thorough inspection of the tires does show just a bit of cracking starting on the rear. This is an Avon Venom and I'm hearing WAY too many reports on this problem. I don't know where the rest of you are seeing the problem but these are very small cracks...about 1/2" from the rim. Mine are very small and each one is maybe 3/4" inch long or so and they almost make a dashed line around the tire with each one being maybe 6" apart.

I'm not too concerned about them at this time and will continue to run the tire but will keep my eyes ... er...my EYE on them. :) With repeated reports about this issue though, I guess these will be my last Avon tires. It's a shame because I really like the way they wear and handle. I guess next time I'll either go back to the Michelin Commanders or else try the Elite 3.

Congrats on the first ride! Feels good don't it!

I just got my daughters bike out of the shed and give the spring once over. Her first ride will be tomorrow. I have racked up 700 Km so far. Seems weird being out before you guys!:canada::cool10::snow2::snow::cold:

Freebird that was the same type of cracking that I experienced only mine was on the front after about 3000 miles. I went to the dealer and they checked with Avon and the tire was replaced at no cost to me. I have always had outstanding service from my dealer Yamaha of Warren. I have about 3000 miles on the replaced tire and no sign of cracking so far. Yesterday and today were my maiden rides this year and I must say that yesterday was almost perfect weather. :97:

I guess these will be my last Avon tires. It's a shame because I really like the way they wear and handle.

The guys that like the Metzlers said the same thing.

I'll Stick with my Dunlop White Walls

Brad

Congrats on the first ride! Feels good don't it!

I have racked up 700 Km so far. Seems weird being out before you guys!

:canada::cool10::snow2::snow::cold:

But you're enjoying that sooo much......

Remember Scotty, I was riding at the start of this year, as home turf is on the wet coast. But then I had to come back to work, on the frozen praries.

:stirthepot::canada:

Don, Every Venom I have had got small cracks in them. Rode them till they were bald almost.Never had a problem with them. I'll stick with them since I have tried almost everything out there and keep coming back to the Avon's.

Glad you got a few miles in.

Congratulations on getting out on your bike. I also just got out on mine yesterday for the first time.

Was this your warmest first ride of seasons past?

I hadn't thought about it but I guess it was my warmest first ride. There have been some decent days over the past week but always raining. Yesterday was probably close to 70F. I didn't even wear a jacket.

I'm sold on the Dunlop Elite 3's. :happy34:

Had my bike out today as well. I guess we will have a little more nice weather tomorrow but rain is on the way.

I might give them a try but do they actually make the exact size for the rear? Isn't it a lower profile tire?

Don, Every Venom I have had got small cracks in them. Rode them till they were bald almost.Never had a problem with them. I'll stick with them since I have tried almost everything out there and keep coming back to the Avon's.

Glad you got a few miles in.

Yea, like I said, I plan to keep riding this one as I don't think it is unsafe. It is only maybe half worn out so unless it gets a lot worse, I'll not change it right now.