IGNORED

Kms per tank?

Oldslow

I have an 85 G1 and while its not a G2 llike yours I think if youre like me youll notice a huge difference with speed. At about 130 kmh I am getting around 35mpg , if I do twisties thru the mountains or keep it around 80 kmh I get close to 50 mpg .

And of course the winds out here in Western Canada might make a big difference as well.

Brian

I get about 230km (actualy it is about 145 miles) before reserve, did this many times running to Michigan as we hit reserve just before getting to the ferry or the bridge.

I never get 290 on the highway.

I have hit reserve at 130 miles (210 km) and that was pushing it.

Brad

'Around town' type driving I'll get 150-160 miles (241 - 257 kms) before flopping to reserve. Highway (doing near the speed limit) I have done ~ 180-200 miles (289 - 322 kms) before having to switch.

I have a '01 RSV and I have not done the tank filler neck mod... yet.

WOW! :yikes: Are you guys serious? I converted your km to mi so I could see what you are getting. Wife and I, "2 up" no trailer on a 55 mph hi-way get 195 to 220 mi (313 to 354 km) depending on wind & hills. With my trailer it goes down to 140 to 160 mi (225 to 257 km) depending on conditions again. All this is when I have to hit reserve and on nice two lane roads. Interstate riding at 70 mph (112 kph) sucks,,,, gas too.

Guess I feel pretty good about my mileage now, THANKS guys! :thumbsup2:

Bryan

Yesterday riding 2-up on 65mph and 55mph highways GPS said I had run 187 miles when I had to switch to reserve. (Speedo said 201) A few miles later I filled up and figured the mileage and it was just a bit over 41mpg, using the GPS mileage.

That's what I got today after heavy traffic from Ft Collins to Lakewood, CO and 1/2 back; LOTS of tiring heavy traffic. I had two boxes try to wipe me out; that kind of 'safety edge' really wore me down; felt it only when I got home. At 41 X 5.8 (I THINK that's the max tank capacity) I come up with 237.8 mpg. I never push my Frebird more than 200 miles though. Out here in CO you can really get into some open stretches. Great riding today, 68 and felt like 70 in the sun; Snow Thursday night through Sat AM.

Damn (*(&%*)*(*&(^(*&!!!!, they just don't let my prayers ass-send!

JackZ

Jack Tharp

Ft Collins, CO :thumbdown:

When the gas light comes on and you switch over to the reserve, it starts counting up. I am assuming this is the mileage since the reserve has been tapped into, which is .91 gallons correct?

I have never really bothered looking at the mileage, but I am interested if I can get from Dumfries, VA (31 miles south of Wash DC) to Myrtle Beach, SC next week on 2 tanks, it's 410 miles.

Also gonna try to make it on 2 stops. Each at the 190-200 mile mark. IRON AZZ style!

I'll let you know!

Ben

but I am interested if I can get from Dumfries, VA to Myrtle Beach, SC next week on 2 tanks, it's 410 miles.

Also gonna try to make it on 2 stops. Each at the 190-200 mile mark. IRON AZZ style!

Suggest carrying a gas can with you as I would be surprised if you will make it at least on teh interstate.

Brad

Suggest carrying a gas can with you as I would be surprised if you will make it at least on teh interstate.

Brad

Yeah, I am probably being over zealous, 180 miles will probably be the limit. That would put me 50 miles short of home but real close to a good ice cream stand in Aynor, SC! :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16): :fnd_(16):

Ben

Funny.. I never pay much attention to how far I've gone before I stop for gas... I just drive it and when it gets "down there", I get gas. This may have to do with where I ride...that I know I will be stopping at certain places, what's in between and what's not. A lot of the time I will tank up "just coz I'm there". I hate running out of gas or paniking "omg... gas is almost empty...where's the next gas stop?".

When the gas light comes on and you switch over to the reserve, it starts counting up. I am assuming this is the mileage since the reserve has been tapped into, which is .91 gallons correct?

The book CLAIMS .91 gal in reserve, however, I believe there is some almost unanimous disagreement about that on here. I believe that most folks have reported ~1.5 gallon reserve. If you take along that trusty gas can, you can let us know what you find!!

I DO find that I routinly put in ~ 4.5 gallons if I fill up a few miles after I switch to reserve (and the fuel light has been illuminated for 5-10 miles depending on how far to the left I have leaned since the last time I checked the odo/fuel gauge). What I have not verified is if I could put in an extra .5 gallons by doing the fuel tank mod thereby extending the distance I have BEFORE the fuel light comes on and switching to reserve OR if I could actually go a distance that corrisponds to 1.5 gallons of fuel consumption before running out. One of these days I WILL test that though, as I do have a gas can and a lot of open road around here...

Sorry, I didn't mean to contribute to the hijacking of the thread...

:sign back to topic:

2007 RSV.

I usually get about 220 kms to a tank at 120-130 km/hr. Once, bucking a very strong wind, it was about 185 kms... and surprised the hell out of me when it sputtered. Other times with wind behind up to 250 kms. I checked my speed against my GPS and it reads about 8 % high. However, my odometer is only maybe 1 or 2 % off. (they are calibrated separately).

I have a wee bit of experience with this kind of stuff, so I have created my own file in order to keep track of gas consumption, $$ spent and kilometers/liter including season totals.

I have added in two entries to show how it is done, and on the bottom is a tab showing a blank version for next season.

Please feel free to use and pass on to your Canadian friends. Its nothing great, but it works. If anyone wants an American version let me know, I can change the columns easily. Good luck.

I checked my speed against my GPS and it reads about 8 % high. However, my odometer is only maybe 1 or 2 % off. (they are calibrated separately).

I agree with both these numbers compared to my GPS as well.

Brad