IGNORED

How many professional technicians Car,Truck,Bus,Motorcycle,and Boat are on the board

short-haul

I am a RVIDA and IRVSA certified RV Master Tech. been doing it sense 1982 i have worked at a few dealerships , worked for myself for 10 years , retired than went broke back to work for a dealership as a service manger .

Diesel mechanic 9 years, worked on third shift for 3 years, then moved to dayshift, had good benefits, until management change, and within 1 year lost most of our benefits that were company paid. I left as did most other's. Worked as a dealer tech (chrysler) for 3 years flat rate did ok until the manufacture kept cutting the labor times, couldn't make a living at it anymore, 3 years later dealer closed up. Had a cdl license and had a good driving job, good pay, benefits, not quite 1 year and the contract was cancelled, got layed off. Decided to go in debt and build my own shop. Opened in 2002 was doing ok until early last year 2009, then started to see work slowly drop of do to the economy, lots of folks waiting to get stuff fixed or not fixing at all or having a friend do it for nothing. Alot of customer's lossed jobs or were on unemployment. I put up with it until Dec. 2009, then decided it just wasn't worth it and closed up and sold most of my equipment. I miss alot of my customer's that came to me from the start ,but I just could no longer continue financialy. Some folks don't realize that years of experience and tools, including specialty tools and equipment come with a price. I would get alot of jobs that other shops couldn't repair or didn't have the diagnostic knowledge. Both my grandfathers were mechanics and I guess it was just a natural thing for me to do. As other's have said, there's a difference between a tech and a parts hanger. I will tell you I ran my buisness honestly and with integrety and started with nothing, built the shop put out the open sign and waited for buisness. Now at 48 years old and working part time, but looking for fulltime. There is jobs out there but paying what I made back in the 90's, what a shame. Just re-joined the guards before I get to old to add to my retirement, had a total of 10 years in so going for 10 more. Should have stayed in when I was younger but my other half didn't like the moving every 2-3 years so I got out, big mistake, oh well life goes on I guess.

35 years as a professional Licenced Ontario: Auto Mechanic, Truck and Coach Mechanic, Heavy Equipment Mechanic, Propane Installers Certicate

3rd generation growing up in the construction industry working with my Dad building custom homes and doing renovations

and tinker with just about anything else I can get my hands on.

Now if we all could turn all that tallent into making money the way dentist's lawyers and doctor's do.

Ive been wrenchen since I was 13-14 on all most anything cars ,trucks ,boats ,RV,and big truck,s and farm tractors, been state certified since 19 now 51 it,s still the same problems just a differnt twist,

MOST PROBLEMS CAUSED BUY NEGLECT OR ABUSE,Tryed working at dealers didnt care for the program.

would never have guessed it Double AA and MCO:stickpoke:

I will be getting 2 new Thomas Built 72 pass buses in in Sept It will be a new ball game for me at present all are IC 200 and 300 from International got use to just dropping at one dealer to get everything fixed . Cant wait to see how Thomas Built handles there warranty.

I'm a Jet mechanic.

I have 10+ years of experience, all working for the Gov't. Well, Navy to be exact (some don't consider it Military, lol)...

I'm a Jet engine Mechanic (Aviation Machinist Mate First Class). But, obviously if you're mechanically inclined, you can work on anything. And honestly, if I can work on a Jet, I can work on cars/bikes/boats...

Any other Jet mechs out there???

Spent 30 years as a wrench for county at the two airports they operated. Worked on everything from chainsaws to firetrucks. If it had a motor we got it in the shop if it needed fixing. And sometimes stuff with out motors that needed welding or fabricating. After retiring from county I spent another 10 years as a golf course tech for two golf courses maintaining all of their equipment as needed. Was Michigan state certified as a master tech in both auto & heavy trucks in all categories except auto trans and ac. Gave up the license when I finally retired full time. Now just working on personal stuff and fabricating things for the bikes we ride.

Larry

Raced dirt track and outlaws from 15 years of age then went to drag racing. Owned a speed shop and managed a drag strip for a few years and changed over to being an engineer in Video Production. Been there since but the hands are trying to go and the brain is getting fuzzy. What were we talking about? :puzzled: