IGNORED

Clearview or F4? Vent? Tint?

GaThumper

So I'm thinking about replacing the windshield on my '01 and wondering if the F4 is an upgrade over the Clearview? Clearview has a 10% discount for the month of March, so I'd like to decide one way or the other before the sale ends at the end of the month. I was pretty much decided to get a Clearview, but want to be sure before I pull the trigger.

F4 advertises that the polycarbonate (Lexan) is 30 time more impact resistant than acrylic and their hard coatings resist scratches and shed rain better with no treating needed. They also say you can safely use paper towels, Windex, and Rain-X if you want to.

I'm wondering if the F4 would stay really clear longer than the Clearview? I would be really careful cleaning either one, but how will the Clearview look after many miles and years or road grime?

Other considerations are the tint and vent. I'm thinking the tinted Clearview would be nice, but clear would be fine too. The Goldwing vent might be nice to get some air, but I've not minded the stock with no vents. Maybe just because I've never had a vent?

Should the difference in warranty make any difference to me? Six months for the Clearview and four years for the F4, but they probably both exclude all but manufacturing defects, so it may not matter?

Price is nice, but I'm always willing to pay a premium for a premium product...

So has anyone had both that can compare them? I think Don may have had both? I'd really appreciate any comments about the tint or vent in addition to the basic product differences.

Thanks!

James

Ive had my Clearview, non tinted with vent since 2005 or early 2006. It still looks new. No dulling of the shield. The vent is a must in my opinion. I have heard good things about the F4 too. Now, does the F4 lean back more like the Clearview or does it sit more straight like the stock shield? The rearward lean was one of the things I liked about the Clearview shield. I dont think you would go wrong with either shield but my preference would be the Clearview w/vent. :smile5:

Just like to add that Clearview jumped at the chance to donate a windshield for one of our project bikes a few years ago. No hesitation on their part. They are first class all the way.

Ill add, that the Clearview folks are top notch in the customer service area. My first go around with them didnt work out and we worked out a resolution that was great. The short time I had their shield, it was very nice visually. (I just ordered the wrong height I suspect to solve a buffeting problem)

Now that Im re-looking for a shield solution, Im leaning towards them again. Ive seen the F4 youtube video's, impressive, but I like the recurve at the top of the Clearview shield , I like that it's wider then the F4 and I like the proven customer service.

Good luck

I've got the clearview on my RSTD, I personally did not like the recurve. It was directly in my line of sight and would hold condensation from a mist or fog. The Venture shield may have a different angle and may not be an issue. Other than that, very happy with the clearview.

I've got the clearview on my RSTD, I personally did not like the recurve. It was directly in my line of sight and would hold condensation from a mist or fog. The Venture shield may have a different angle and may not be an issue. Other than that, very happy with the clearview.

I admit that was part of my prob too. At the height I ordered, the curve portion was in my line of sight. Cleaview insists the recurve shouldn't have a visual affect and for that reason, they were willing to bypass their normal return rules and take care of me. At the time I didnt want to order a taller shield, rethinking it now.

I've had both. They are both good shields. F4 does not offer one with the tint. I liked the very light tint of the Clearview and for that reason, I would order a Clearview if I were in need of a new shield. I think that both hold up very well.

Yeah, same for me on the RSTD. I know this wasn't about RSTD but,,,,

Leave the recurve out of it. Actually if I want to cut it down, that might be the place to do it. Also, the vent: it is probably needed on the RSV as there is little other air movement, but on my RSTD (with no fairing) I didn't have much use for it. Mostly left it closed, even in summer. I actually went back to my stock shield after one season.

I think the stock shield is engineered for that bike. The wider Clearview picked up more broken air on the road at speed. (But yes, Clearview people are the best.)

Their website has a list of blems available. I thought about it - but wasn't sure what I was getting so I spent the extra bucks for a nonblem item. I don't know if they are offering 10% off their blem windshields. Check out their website or call them.

but I have never had the Clearview. I worked with F4 when they were designing the windsheild and have had mine on for about a year. It does not scratch with normal cleaning and they do have choices as far as height and width. they elected not to get into the vents at this point but did concider the GW style vent as well as the round vents when initially developing the shield. I do not know if they are planning any vents in the near future. I got mine stock height but 2" wider on both sides and have been pleased with it.

Bob

I really appreciate all the feedback... You guys are great!

I'm thinking I'll go with the Clearview with a vent. I'm still thinking about the tint. I always wear sunglasses, and I don't ride too much at night, so probably with or without tint won't make much difference. I'm leaning toward the tint right now.

I think I'm going to go for the XXL since I'm OK looking through the windshield and my main concern is getting my 5'11" bride out of the wind! Anyone with a similar height wife care to comment about the height and any wind issues? I'm an inch shorter than her, and with the back seat height, she's a good bit above me. That was the main reason we started looking at touring bike, she was getting a sore neck from the wind on my Intruder. The old GS is not so bad since it has a "bench" seat.

Thanks Again!

James

I went with the F4 and would not get anything else.

Yes you can use a paper towel with no problem. I have even used a gas station squeegee with not problem ( you aught to watch the wing guys flinch when I do that hehehe)

The optics are phenomenal with no distortion

Okay to use Rain X on it

I have about 20,000 miles on mine now and it is as unblemished and the optics are as great as the day I bought it.

I got the tallest one they have. My Sweetie says the differene in buffeting on her is like night and day. When it rains I have no problem looking through it.

My :2cents:

I really appreciate all the feedback... You guys are great!

I'm thinking I'll go with the Clearview with a vent. I'm still thinking about the tint. I always wear sunglasses, and I don't ride too much at night, so probably with or without tint won't make much difference. I'm leaning toward the tint right now.

I think I'm going to go for the XXL since I'm OK looking through the windshield and my main concern is getting my 5'11" bride out of the wind! Anyone with a similar height wife care to comment about the height and any wind issues? I'm an inch shorter than her, and with the back seat height, she's a good bit above me. That was the main reason we started looking at touring bike, she was getting a sore neck from the wind on my Intruder. The old GS is not so bad since it has a "bench" seat.

Thanks Again!

James

Well, I am a bit shorter than you and I don't have a wife but my g/f rides with me quite a bit. I have an XXL clearview with a vent. The g/f is about 5'6 or so and the wind (OR RAIN) doesn't get anywhere near her head. I've taken a gal out for a ride that I would approximate to be 5'10" (with a very tall torso) and she also did not complain about the wind, buffeting, etc.

As for the vent, I have ridden in the heat, rain, and cold with the vent opened and closed and while I don't get blasted in the face with air, it definitely does make a difference.

The tint does help cut down on the glare at night (from oncoming traffic's headlights) and it really isn't 'tinted' all that much.

I have polished mine twice since I have had it (I got it 2nd hand from a fellow member) and both times it cleaned up real nice (although I wouldn't mind having one of those F4s with no polish necessary).

Clearviews CAN be Rain-Xed although cleaning with a paper towel or gas station squeegee is certainly NOT advised, a soft polishing cloth and some novous cleaner works beautifully.

I have ridden in a light mist, light rain, heavy rain, and a thunderstorm or two with this shield and the only one that I had an issue with was the light mist while traveling ~15mph or less. (I do keep a decent coat of Rain-X on it though).

Lastly, you've got a great taste in bikes my friend. A Green '01 RSV AND an 'ol suzuki GS :thumbsup2:

I went with the F4 and would not get anything else.

Yes you can use a paper towel with no problem. I have even used a gas station squeegee with not problem ( you aught to watch the wing guys flinch when I do that hehehe)

The optics are phenomenal with no distortion

Okay to use Rain X on it

My :2cents:

I too am looking at the F4. I will make the "move" as soon as we go through some hot weather to see how much I feel I would want a vent (vs the noise, the bugs and STICKING) you would get from a vent vs the positives of having some airflow behind the windscreen.

But, here's my thinking...Polycarbonate vs Acrylic. I like the fact that with polycarbonate it is shatter resistant and scratch resistant!! I bet just about EVERYONE on on this site has something made out of polycarbonate whether it be prescription glasses, sunglasses, safety glasses, or any other uses for this amazing material. Oakleys, Raybans, and other high end glasses ALL use polycarbonate. We even use it in my laboratory (clinical laboratory).

Anyway, I like the PROTECTIVE properties of polycarbonate. I mean we all (most of us anyway) wear helmets, wear leathers, wear goggles...well you get my drift, this could be just ANOTHER safety device on the bike.

Here's a video by National Cycle that I saw a LONG time ago that has really made me think twice about a polycarbonate windshield. I am pretty convinced.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsls5ZPCUnE]YouTube- Polycarbonate vs Acrylic Plastic[/ame]

As for the VENT, I believe I read somewhere that they might be able to put one in...or at the very least use a hole saw to insert some vent circles or something like that.

WOW - that video was really interesting. I'm going to have to let that soak in while I make a run to Poole's BBQ for some ribs! :smile5:

Hadn't thought much about the safety aspect. Since the tint is not a HUGE dealbreaker for me, a vent can be installed later, I'm going to have to give some more consideration to the F4.

Let's go eat some "Q" !

• 2 weeks later...

[ATTACH]43099[/ATTACH]Just installed the 19.5 inch F4 Customs windshield on my 99.

Fit like they had bike for custom measurements, super fast delivery and service.

No rain rides yet but wind blows completely over my head - no helmet buffeting.

Attached couple pictures.

So far very happy with this choice as replacement for the Clearview. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Just ordered mine. They aren't really advertising yet because they're still perfecting the workflow- but they will put in the vents for the same price as clearview- $59 installed.

It was right at 300 buckarooz for my large f4 with a vent. A little more than clearview- but seems worth it if they're as durable as everyone seems to say (and the youtube videos demonstrate!)

It's just money!