IGNORED

Now I know why there are Tech Days

rumboogy

It's pretty much because the dealer's (service) are clueless about the bike.

Especially the front people. The last time I took my bike in, I was hasseled about installing my Zumo GPS by cracking open the fairing...after a short standoff, I finally got my way. Now the actual tech did a pretty good job, but the service people up front are not the brightest bulbs on the tree.

But today was a REAL PAIN. It was time for my 600 mile FIRST SERVICE. Plus they are supposed to install running lights that I bought when I bought the bike and the mounts just now came in...anyway, I asked that when it was installed to do it using a relay...they balked, and said, "it depends on the kit"...but we never heard of using a relay for the passing lights.

Then I asked if they could pump about 5 lbs air into the front forks and about 15 pounds in the shocks on the back...they said, "Sorry sir, we don't have a hand pump". And then he says, "No one has ever brought their bike in for air in the shocks, they are set up from the factory". ??????? WHAT?????

And finally, I told them when I checked my bike this morning, there were two small oil spots underneath the bike and could they please check them out, he just kinda brushed it off and said their guy would check the whole bike over...so we'll see how it works out.

But I NOW know why there are so many TECH DAYS and so many guys that work on their own bikes.

Wally

Personally speaking, I would never take my scoot to a STealer for anything unless it's for a warranty repair. If a guy must take it to a shop, find a non-dealer bike shop that has a guy who knows these bikes. Best to either do it yourself if you can or buddy up with some of the members here and pay them. I'd be happy to help out anyone who doesn't have the where-with-all to do their own work.

I am in a lucky situation. I have all the knowledge here to draw on. I have picked up so many tips to work on my bike. I also have a dealer that is very good to work with. Interlakes Sports Center, Madison, SD. It helps that the owner used to have a 1985 Venture. His face lit up when I first took it to them last year for new tires. Doug, co-owner, even located a NOS VentureLine trunk rack and contacted me when he found it in his back room. The service guys are good. The Service manager is real helpful. What I can not do myself, they are ready, willing, and able to help me out.

Dave

Well when I told the Service Manager at my dealership that I replaced the oil drain plug with a magnetic one he commented......"its only magnetic so you can attach it to the bike when changing the oil so it would be easier to find"! Oh Boy!!!

Keith

Well when I told the Service Manager at my dealership that I replaced the oil drain plug with a magnetic one he commented......"its only magnetic so you can attach it to the bike when changing the oil so it would be easier to find"! Oh Boy!!!

Keith

WTF????????:doh:

If this guy was serious, I would be running so fast from this dealer,I'd probably break a ankle...

It's shops like this I wouldn't let work on a wheelbarrow.:D

Keith

WTF????????:doh:

If this guy was serious, I would be running so fast from this dealer,I'd probably break a ankle...

It's shops like this I wouldn't let work on a wheelbarrow.:D

Could it be possible that the guy was just "funnin" with ya... yankin yer chain? I can't believe anyone would be serious about that statement.

But today was a REAL PAIN. It was time for my 600 mile FIRST SERVICE. Plus they are supposed to install running lights that I bought when I bought the bike and the mounts just now came in...anyway, I asked that when it was installed to do it using a relay...they balked, and said, "it depends on the kit"...but we never heard of using a relay for the passing lights.

They probably haven't heard about running the lights thru a relay. I would not expect them to do this since it is not the way the "Yamaha" kit instructions are set up. If they go 'off script' and mess something up, they are liable for the fix.

Then I asked if they could pump about 5 lbs air into the front forks and about 15 pounds in the shocks on the back...they said, "Sorry sir, we don't have a hand pump". And then he says, "No one has ever brought their bike in for air in the shocks, they are set up from the factory". ??????? WHAT?????

Go to the local HD shop and get a Progressive pump. Believe it or not, the HD shop is the least expensive location to buy these. The Progressive pump is a zero let off, low volume hand pump and is perfect for putting air in shocks.

And finally, I told them when I checked my bike this morning, there were two small oil spots underneath the bike and could they please check them out, he just kinda brushed it off and said their guy would check the whole bike over...so we'll see how it works out.

I would suspect these oil spots are caused by the crankcase being overfilled at the initial setup. Check the sightglass on the right side of the engine (way down low, almost to the frame, about where the foot brake pedal is). When the bike is stood up, the oil shouldn't go up more than half way. If it is fuller than half way up, the extra oil will be gradually expelled out the crankcase breather. The oil will deposit itself in the center of the bike (side to side) about directly under the rear of the drivers seat. If you look under there, there are 3 hoses. All are for various overflows.

If this is where the leak is coming from, just ride it. It will reach equilibrium and quit leaking.

But I NOW know why there are so many TECH DAYS and so many guys that work on their own bikes.

Yes, I much prefer knowing how to wrench on my bike. Kind of like needing to pack your own chute.

Wally

The relay can be easily be added at any tech day.

RR

Oh Ya this guy was dead serious.....he's no longer there for some reason !! I was explaining to him that I replaced the weaker magnetic one in the rear diff with a stronger one and that's when his comment surfaced about why they are magnetic to begin with....guess it was his defense of the weak magnet in the rear diff plug.

And no I don't get any work done there.

Keith